Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Who's Robin?
    A pink-eyed fish who spends his days and his nights swimming around the waters surrounding TSR.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Juichiro)

Who posts information in a post that is not supposed to be read by any non-paying user when any non-paying user could have just accessed it by becoming paying user? -_-
    The fact that they (or their parents) had to enter card details should verify they are a real person and not someone really dodgy - and if they are, they are then traceable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    That won't be happening. The Back Room had way more relaxed rules and confidential info it in, it's not suitable for the public site.
    Okay, thank you for the information. Tbh I haven't ever visited the Back Room (as I haven't taken out a subscription) so I can't comment as to whether it would break normal TSR guidelines. But if what you're saying is correct then it should remain hidden, viewable to ex-subscribers and mods, or mods only.

Only time will tell as to what the CT decide with regards to the Back Room...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    The fact that they (or their parents) had to enter card details should verify they are a real person and not someone really dodgy - and if they are, they are then traceable.
    My, this is the 21st century. When it comes to information (and its bad-intentioned treatment), your average young netizen is dodgy as the next one. About traceability, what about it? If tons of people have access to the same information, you won't be able to pin the culprit. Especially, if the culprit acts some time after the information was published.

All in all, sharing sensitive information with a large group you don't is poor practice. As bad as using the password in every online service (and perhaps as bad as not having 2-step log in enabled). That's my opinion, btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Subs are being cancelled? Means I'll never be able to change my name colour.
    When the free subs were dished out a while back I couldn't find a way to change my title color anyway, so I suppose you'll have to ask the CT if you want it changing?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    My, this is the 21st century. When it comes to information (and its bad-intentioned treatment), your average young netizen is dodgy as the next one. About traceability, what about it? If tons of people have access to the same information, you won't be able to pin the culprit. Especially, if the culprit acts some time after the information was published.

All in all, sharing sensitive information with a large group you don't is poor practice. As bad as using the password in every online service (and perhaps as bad as not having 2-step log in enabled). That's my opinion, btw.
    Obviously it's not exactly secure, but it was a lot easier to monitor who was a sub than the huge amount of users on the public forum.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by spotify95)
    When the free subs were dished out a while back I couldn't find a way to change my title color anyway, so I suppose you'll have to ask the CT if you want it changing?
    It was reserved to paid subs only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Only if it's put in this bin:
    So OT but someone explain to me what's going on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Obviously people are going to post differently in a section that has a select number of users to how they will on the main site that has a couple of million
    Really? I mean what difference does it make? Whether 100 or 1 million, the audience is still anonymous and you are unidentifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    My guess would be that they decided the increase in page impressions and advertisement revenue would more than offset the loss in subscriber income.

TSR is a business, they will have paid someone to analyse the numbers and predicted which would have been more profitable.
    I guess so. Still, doesn't the male half of TSR use ad-block? I know they have crunched the numbers. I was just thinking that with the increasing popularity of ad-blockers, ad revenue might not be so safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Subscriptions no longer exist, however there's only one thing that ex-subscribers still have the power to do without paying and which normal members can't do: change the colour of their username :laugh:
    Damn...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    It was reserved to paid subs only
    Okay, thank you for clarifying.

So, in the future, will they continue to have paid subs, or is the whole thing about subs disappearing?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Who posts information in a post that is not supposed to be read by any non-paying user when any non-paying user could have just accessed it by becoming paying user? -_-
    Really? I mean what difference does it make? Whether 100 or 1 million, the audience is still anonymous and you are unidentifiable.
    TBR can't be accessed by bots. So posts can't show up on Google.

Subscribers T&Cs included a clause about not sharing TBR content outside the subscribers area. Same as the mods aren't allowed to shake details of content in the mod forums/AAM/cards/recycle bin.

Sharing information in TBR isn't foolproof but it's immeasurably better than sharing it on the public site.

(As for moving TBR threads to chat - TBR has no swear filter and was low-moderation [not anymore hence it being a crypt] )
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Okay, thank you for clarifying.

So, in the future, will they continue to have paid subs, or is the whole thing about subs disappearing?
    :iiam:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    This is turning into the Nope thread...

The fact is that there was confidential information there, and that shouldn't be opened up to the public site.

ReputationRep:
    Subscriptions no longer exist, however there's only one thing that ex-subscribers still have the power to do without paying and which normal members can't do: change the colour of their username :laugh:
    And animated avatars :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    And animated avatars :bawling:
    Are you sure? I've seen people with animated avatars who I don't think are subs.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? I've seen people with animated avatars who I don't think are subs.
    I asked someone about it, told me you have to be a sub. For me, it just says "You may not upload animated images." :sad:

If there's a workaround, I'd love to know it :3

ReputationRep:
    Either merged with Chat (if appropriate) or binned?
    Actually, I've affixed a 'Delete Lock' key to my keyboard in preparation for just this eventuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I asked someone about it, told me you have to be a sub. For me, it just says "You may not upload animated images." :sad:

If there's a workaround, I'd love to know it :3
    I don't think there is a workaround. Subscriptions don't even exist anymore so the ones who can still do it only have the power that's been leftover :lol:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.