The Student Room Group

Britain to open the doors to 20,000 Syrians

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Hevachan
I'm happy that it isn't a higher amount and the plan is for the aid relief to be spent on them so that it won't cause an immediate cost.. but I am conscious that it isn't the high amount that might have be expected of our country. I didn't vote conservatives but in a way I am glad that it is a conservative government dealing with this situation as I think they will be sensible about it.
I wouldn't open my house to a refugee, but I wouldn't open my house to a British stranger either! Overall I'm glad we are taking people in and glad that there has been a positive response in terms of donations (food clothes etc).
This is just my thoughts - I'm not politically minded so if anyone wants to get into a debate about conservatives vs labour I'm not interested :smile: I just wanted to express my views of the current situation as of today

I think that your reply was Switzerland
It was however truthful and it was a relief to hear that not everyone "lol's" at the deaths of innocent children which I've seen and responded to in other threads
You are hope for our generation
I was beginning to think that fellow TSR members were pro Nazi
Thanks for the sanest answer in such an insane climate
I'm glad that the conservatives have been sensible also! I am grateful they have allowed the amount they have to be granted refugee status
Original post by Skip_Snip
Bit of a harsh thing to wish on someone!

I wouldn't wish living in Bradford to my worst enemy *shudders*
Reply 42
Original post by Fango_Jett
Skills and qualifications? Don't make me laugh. The vast, vast majority of them will be unskilled workers who will go into manual labour (and most likely no tax contributions at all). It's not about "determined" to find jobs either. We simply don't have enough to hand around. Should we mention housing as well? 2 million on the waiting list (mostly Brits) and we want to take in more.

Keith the leech is by no means in the right, but he is a British citizen (perhaps unfortunately) and our government has a responsibility to take care of it's citizens first and foremost, not refugees.

Refugees and/or foreign citizens should and will always come second.

Okay so you agree with my view on the Kieth's of the world!
I cannot tell you the educational diplomas of each Syrian but I know that like Britain they will be a mixed bag, but they try hard because there is no such thing as "benefits" where they come from.
As for your reference to Foreign citizens I myself was born in the UK so were my parents and grandparents but my great grandparents came here in the second world war and had leading roles in the ammunition and property industry therefore I don't think even if they were migrants they came second.
In my eyes anyone that works for their bred and butter is good enough to be respected and certainly don't come second. Foreign or not.
Nice sharing views with you
Original post by NK18444
What do you call British values?
Mate we're living in the 21st century our kids will think that going for a kebab with a pint - having a day of rest on Friday with there football mates -and going to a Bob Marley tribute concert with Hussain is very British
Some people think that having the engraving of tradition of Sunday roast and starting the day with a fry up is more important than letting the refugees feel like they are welcome.

Sorry i should be more specific, modern western liberal values such as:
freedom of speech
freedom of movement
freedom of association
equal opportunity
etc
these are all things that are lacking heavily in most parts of the middle east, these values are fundamental to our society and if they do not submit to them they should not be aloud to come
(edited 8 years ago)
So, if we do adopt X migrants/refugees, which is fine and they hopefully manage to land jobs etc....will they then send their pay back to their families whereever they came from? Just a question, one with a few implications I might add.

I'm of the strong opinion over half of them are economic migrants. If you'd really just been barrel bombed/shot at/car bombed you'd be pleased to arrive in a safe country where Assad/ISIS can't reach you and not get pissy you can't get a train to go to and exspensive city in Germany. I don't get that.

Most westerners can't afford to live in some of the cities they are demanding to travel to, so I don't understand what they will do when they arrive there.
What everyone seems to miss is that the figure of 20,000 is over 5 years. So about 4k a year is very manageable. This is actually pretty good politics by Cameron and Co given that they are basically stuck between a rock and a hard place on this issue.
However really wouldnt surprise me if that 20k becomes 50k or more.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by josh75
Sorry i should be more specific, modern western liberal values such as:
freedom of speech
freedom of movement
freedom of association
equal opportunity
etc
these are all things that are lacking heavily in most parts of the middle east, these values are fundamental to our society and if they do not submit to them they should not be aloud to come

haha sorry I misinterpreted it :smile:
I believe massively in freedom of speech and expression and equal opportunity so I can't fault anyone on promoting this. I don't believe in low lives judging migrants as thugs that live in ghettos. That's rude... But I completely understand that freedom should be embraced and the west does allow this to an extent. However some individuals in society frown upon and may act upon others freedoms such as the freedom of practicing and expressing religious beliefs e.g.wearing a hijab

I do agree on the western traditions on basic human rights
Original post by moggis
my au pairs' provocative dress senses.

Pics or it didn't happen
Original post by NK18444
haha sorry I misinterpreted it :smile:
I believe massively in freedom of speech and expression and equal opportunity so I can't fault anyone on promoting this. I don't believe in low lives judging migrants as thugs that live in ghettos. That's rude... But I completely understand that freedom should be embraced and the west does allow this to an extent. However some individuals in society frown upon and may act upon others freedoms such as the freedom of practicing and expressing religious beliefs e.g.wearing a hijab

I do agree on the western traditions on basic human rights

idc if they frown upon it that's just them exercising their own freedoms but the problem is if we take in too many immigrants or let them collate into a social(ie a town where almost everyone is from syria) ghetto of sorts, this will allow them to practise values from their home country that conflict with the values of the west. This is not only is disrespectful to our nation, but it will just lead to more racial tension and social divides. If you don't think this would happen, i ask you, if you went to Saudi Arabia with about 1000 people from England(or from which ever country you are from) would you adopt Islam or forbid your wife from driving etc, i doubt it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending