Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by marrimerro)
    OP I can relate to almost everything except I think you work a lot harder than me.
    I happen to be Asian too so I can see from your perspective and a bit from your parents perspect

I can see why you feel so upset by your parents behaviour, I felt like my parents hated me for an incredibly long time. However that's not true they love me so much and sometimes I forget that when they're being strict about certain things. Miscommunication can make things worse too.

perhaps they are being so harsh without realizing it?

You know how Asian culture is very different to the western culture. Our parents grew up in an environment completely different to ours. (Of course I'm assuming that in your case, as I don't know if your parents grew up in Asia.)

That means they've had immense pressure put on them to do well in school. They are harsh because they want you to do the best you can.

Obviously their tactic isn't working and is only causing you pain and stress. Perhaps talk to then about how it makes you feel?

A lot of people haven't been in a relationship before (including me) I can totally get why that makes you feel down. But from a recent experience I've learnt I need to love myself a bit more and enjoy being single.

Sounds so cliche and lame but learning how to be a bit happy without thinking you need a relationship can change your perspective a bit. Of course I still think of what a relationship would be like. But at this moment in life, considering how stressful life is at the moment, a relationship would probably make me feel even more stress.

I'm sorry about the bullying situation. I was bullied as a child and it affects me to this day; severe social anxiety, trust issues, low self esteem and many insecurities.
    There probably isn't much you can do about those mean classmates, just act like you don't care when they say stuff?

Also acne wise, what is your skin type? Oily/dry? Dehydrated?

I discovered this awesome skincare community that's taught me so much about how important it is to use facial products that are at the correct ph.

What face wash do you use?

That could be one of the skincare problems.

I'm a year older than you and a girl so feel free to PM if you want to chat more
    Yeah, I think that's the root of this problem. They grew up in Asia and when I even use something as simple as sarcasm! It turns into a lecture about my language. Other things which sound okay to say in English turn out to be equivalent toswear words in my language.

As for acne, I use one with avocado in it. I can't remember the brand but it doesn't seem to be helping. I have tried everything and nothing works on my oily skin.
    Though, I do acknowledge the fact that I should drink more water as I only drink a few glasses a day.

ReputationRep:
    I even have Asian parents btw so I talk with experience I guess xD

ReputationRep:
    Life's a roller coaster and sometimes you will feel down. What is important though is not whether or not you fall, but how you get back up again. I know that you can get back up. It will take time and determination, but you can.

The simple fact that you are here, and even that you cry (I know that it seems weird on the surface, but crying does good for you) means that you accept that there is a problem and that you want to change it. The question is how.

I don't know your circumstances, but there is always be a way out; you just have to find it. Maybe you could try talking to your parents. If they can realise just how hard you work, they might be happier with your academic abilities. Do they know about your anxieties and concerns? If not, If you feel able, maybe you could tell them? They are there to look after you and help you, but perhaps they don't realise the sort of help you need.

Maybe you could spend more time with your sister. She is a friend for life, who will stay with you forever. Your friends will come and go, but you will always share a special bond with her. The fact that you let your frustration out on her probably means that she is someone who you already trust - maybe spending some time getting to know her better will help you to feel better about yourself?

Finally, believe in yourself. You might not be good at everything - nobody is - but you have a purpose and a gift. You might not find them until you are 78 and reflecting on your life, but they are there. Do what you truly want to do and work hard. In 20 years' time, this will be what counts.

Hope things get better for you soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Update:

It's been one hour since the talk" and I suspect they are still talking about me. I'm trying to eavesdrop through the walls. Don't think I'll be getting any sleep soon.
    There's no point eavesdropping as it'll only upset you more. Put your headphones in and watch something or listen to some music to just block them out.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I am writing this is because I have no one to go to and I need to get it off my chest.

Nothing in my life is working, I feel so unfortunate and worthless. I will list all the problems in subheadings in no particular order.

1- Family:

My family don't understand anything whatsoever. This afternoon I was feeling dizzy and I nearly vomited but I come downstairs to my parents who think I'm up to no good in my room. They tell me everything I have done wrong today after coming back from school - from the chair not back in the right place to never fulfilling my duties. It seems that whatever I do can't please them enough as I always make some stupid mistake.

Sister: from all the frustration from my parents scolding me , I unconsciously take it out on my sister then later feel guilty as it's not her fault but i make her suffer when she doesn't deserve to.

2- School(social life):

Well, everyday I go to school and nothing else. I don't have a life outside of school at all.I do go to a badminton club but I have no friends there. I have one friend in school but even she is drifting away as whenever I ask to go out, my parents always find a reason to not let me go. And out two days in a row is considered too much.

3- School
    I perform above average in school but I'm certainly not a genius. However, my parents want me to be getting 100% in everything. When I get 96% and someone else gets 97% then they are like oh wow that is one whole percentage, it could cost you your life"
    •When I find a test hard then my mum tells me that I should have revised more as no test can ever be difficult. However, I work very hard and I revise as much as I can but I'm sorry I'm not good enough still.

4-Love Life:

Ok I know this is going to sound incredibly desperate but it just gets me down when seeing people getting gf/bfs. When I have never had a male friend let alone a boy friend. I feel so lonely and depressed. I have tried to make a move sometimes but it gets me nowhere and people just ignore making matters even worse.

5-Insecurity:

I am insecure about everything about me lately, literally everything. I can't bare to make eye contact with people because I think they will judge me by my acne etcetc.
    I try to cover up acne with makeup but it only makes it worse , flakey and dry.

6- Bullying:

This only happens once every few weeks now but it used to be really bad two years ago. Since then my self esteem has decreased vastly. I have only one class with the "bullies" every week and they take every opportunity to pick on me.

I have seemed my guidance counsellor and she has been of no help. (This was two years ago)

I cry myself everyday to sleep and feel sick in the morning but if I tell my parents this they will say I'm making excuses or I'm a drama queen.

Everything I do only causes trouble. My mum says I'm of no use and one time she was angry and she even said she wished I was never born.

Don't get me wrong, I always laugh all the time and never show this but I just felt like letting it out for once. Infact, my distant friends say I'm the funniest person ever and I'm always happy but it's not the case really.

I don't require sympathy , just help.

Thank you for reading this far, if you did.
    How old are you like 16?

I felt like a piece of **** through school, I didn't really find my feet until I'd dropped out of sixth form, retaken my a levels and then gone to uni at 19.

I used to piss my parents off around 15/16 my Dad and I used to clash a lot especially, I think this was the "coming of age" for me. Do your best and try to talk things through with them calmly to avoid confrontations.

Try and negotiate with your parents about going out, perhaps say "if I study for x hours can I then go out" for instance.

Do your best, you're your own person, probably best to just ignore your parents on the grades front if it frustrates you, I'm sure they just the want the best for you though.

Relationships are something that will happen naturally when you're a bit older, again nothing happened for me until I got to uni, you've got a lot ahead of you.

I think you'll find insecurities amongst teenagers are rife, you're an awkward lot!
    As you make more life experiences, mix with more people and generally step out of the bubble of school and become more independent you'll gain masses of confidence.

Suffering bullying is very tough. My honest advice as hard as it may be is to stick up for yourself so that when they give it some to you, you give it back. I'd also make sure I had some sort of friends or a little clique to hang out with or be seen with who will help you out and support you. It can be tough when you're on your own!

My honest advice would to be to make good of what you have, school can be a really ****ty place, but you've got your whole future ahead of you, you can go to uni or into work in a couple of years which will put the world at your feet. It will all get better .

ReputationRep:
    3- School
    I perform above average in school but I'm certainly not a genius. However, my parents want me to be getting 100% in everything. When I get 96% and someone else gets 97% then they are like oh wow that is one whole percentage, it could cost you your life"
    •When I find a test hard then my mum tells me that I should have revised more as no test can ever be difficult. However, I work very hard and I revise as much as I can but I'm sorry I'm not good enough still.
    lmao feels.

Taking up weightlifting / fitness / boxing / w.e. is a good coping strategy. You can take out your frustration by punching stuff and lifting heavy things. And then your self esteem will improve as well when you see how good you look and get more attention from girls.

I was like you same family life. but less insecure because I was a cute kid and girls liked me and got bullied a lot more because jealousy etc. And racist kids lol.

Try n hold out until uni and make sure you pick a subject you like. Then you can leave everything behind and tell your parents to piss off or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    PM me if you like, hun.

I'd advise looking up support groups and things like that in your area as it would do you good to work on your self esteem. In regards to friends, you could try volunteering or ditch the sport and do something else. Maybe a book club? As then you will have to talk to people about the book at least and you're more likely to make friends.

As for your parents, try sitting down and talking to them and about how their words make you feel. If they're good parents they should listen to you.

The bullies- tell a teacher. OR smile and be super nice to them and act like you don't have a care in the world. There is nothing more disarming than kindness.

Relationships- focus on yourself first. You gotta love yourself before you love anyone else.

Lastly, never forget that you are a beautiful human being and you are loved and you are more than enough :-)

If you need a chat, message me ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 雷尼克)
    at least you have your life, many children your age have been killed as a result of conflict such as the Syrian conflict.
    Hey!
    Everyone has their struggles.
    I'm sure any syrian wouldn't like to be bullied and all that either.

No struggle is stupid or petty.

It can be frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Those people never help.
    tRUE DAHT

(Original post by battycatlady)
    PM me if you like, hun.

I'd advise looking up support groups and things like that in your area as it would do you good to work on your self esteem. In regards to friends, you could try volunteering or ditch the sport and do something else. Maybe a book club? As then you will have to talk to people about the book at least and you're more likely to make friends.

As for your parents, try sitting down and talking to them and about how their words make you feel. If they're good parents they should listen to you.

The bullies- tell a teacher. OR smile and be super nice to them and act like you don't have a care in the world. There is nothing more disarming than kindness.

Relationships- focus on yourself first. You gotta love yourself before you love anyone else.

Lastly, never forget that you are a beautiful human being and you are loved and you are more than enough :-)

If you need a chat, message me ^^
    Thank you so much for the kind reply and that's a good idea, I will try looking for clubs in my area. As for a chat, i will make sure I message you if I need anything . Thanks

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lmao feels.

Taking up weightlifting / fitness / boxing / w.e. is a good coping strategy. You can take out your frustration by punching stuff and lifting heavy things. And then your self esteem will improve as well when you see how good you look and get more attention from girls.

I was like you same family life. but less insecure because I was a cute kid and girls liked me and got bullied a lot more because jealousy etc. And racist kids lol.

Try n hold out until uni and make sure you pick a subject you like. Then you can leave everything behind and tell your parents to piss off or whatever.
    Haha, yeah I tried taekwondo and I failed miserably. I would start laughing when the coach said something in Korean.
    I can't wait till Uni to be honest, and I don't even know what I want to study yet.

(Original post by Tom78)
    How old are you like 16?

I felt like a piece of **** through school, I didn't really find my feet until I'd dropped out of sixth form, retaken my a levels and then gone to uni at 19.

I used to piss my parents off around 15/16 my Dad and I used to clash a lot especially, I think this was the "coming of age" for me. Do your best and try to talk things through with them calmly to avoid confrontations.

Try and negotiate with your parents about going out, perhaps say "if I study for x hours can I then go out" for instance.

Do your best, you're your own person, probably best to just ignore your parents on the grades front if it frustrates you, I'm sure they just the want the best for you though.

Relationships are something that will happen naturally when you're a bit older, again nothing happened for me until I got to uni, you've got a lot ahead of you.

I think you'll find insecurities amongst teenagers are rife, you're an awkward lot!
    As you make more life experiences, mix with more people and generally step out of the bubble of school and become more independent you'll gain masses of confidence.

Suffering bullying is very tough. My honest advice as hard as it may be is to stick up for yourself so that when they give it some to you, you give it back. I'd also make sure I had some sort of friends or a little clique to hang out with or be seen with who will help you out and support you. It can be tough when you're on your own!

My honest advice would to be to make good of what you have, school can be a really ****ty place, but you've got your whole future ahead of you, you can go to uni or into work in a couple of years which will put the world at your feet. It will all get better .
    Yeah, thanks for the advice. It could be worse I guess and it's only a matter of years I have to put up with this then I'll hopefully be going to uni.

(Original post by littleangel9914)
    There's no point eavesdropping as it'll only upset you more. Put your headphones in and watch something or listen to some music to just block them out.
    They check on me before they go to sleep so if I have my phone in my bed that won't end well so I can't really listen to music.

ReputationRep:
    I am glad your bullies are only part-time, so to speak, but you need to do something about them. It will affect you otherwise.

The guidance counselor will assume everything is fine if you don't come back, and pat him/herself on the back for a job well done unfortunately. You need to visit again, show there really is a problem and maybe escalate it to the head or something.

Your parents sound difficult to handle but not impossible, so try that too.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, appreciate your support
    It feels good to tell someone even if it's the Internet

(Original post by 雷尼克)
    Then that's your fault for not explaining it. If you're going to emo about your life and then complain about our responses the error is in your original post.
    Seriously , don't have time for your nonsensical replies
    For the last time, I tried not to sound emo because emo people are annoying of which I'm very aware.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I am writing this is because I have no one to go to and I need to get it off my chest.

Nothing in my life is working, I feel so unfortunate and worthless. I will list all the problems in subheadings in no particular order.

1- Family:

My family don't understand anything whatsoever. This afternoon I was feeling dizzy and I nearly vomited but I come downstairs to my parents who think I'm up to no good in my room. They tell me everything I have done wrong today after coming back from school - from the chair not back in the right place to never fulfilling my duties. It seems that whatever I do can't please them enough as I always make some stupid mistake.

Sister: from all the frustration from my parents scolding me , I unconsciously take it out on my sister then later feel guilty as it's not her fault but i make her suffer when she doesn't deserve to.

2- School(social life):

Well, everyday I go to school and nothing else. I don't have a life outside of school at all.I do go to a badminton club but I have no friends there. I have one friend in school but even she is drifting away as whenever I ask to go out, my parents always find a reason to not let me go. And out two days in a row is considered too much.

3- School

4-Love Life:

Ok I know this is going to sound incredibly desperate but it just gets me down when seeing people getting gf/bfs. When I have never had a male friend let alone a boy friend. I feel so lonely and depressed. I have tried to make a move sometimes but it gets me nowhere and people just ignore making matters even worse.

5-Insecurity:

I am insecure about everything about me lately, literally everything. I can't bare to make eye contact with people because I think they will judge me by my acne etcetc.
    I try to cover up acne with makeup but it only makes it worse , flakey and dry.

6- Bullying:

This only happens once every few weeks now but it used to be really bad two years ago. Since then my self esteem has decreased vastly. I have only one class with the "bullies" every week and they take every opportunity to pick on me.

I have seemed my guidance counsellor and she has been of no help. (This was two years ago)

I cry myself everyday to sleep and feel sick in the morning but if I tell my parents this they will say I'm making excuses or I'm a drama queen.

Everything I do only causes trouble. My mum says I'm of no use and one time she was angry and she even said she wished I was never born.

Don't get me wrong, I always laugh all the time and never show this but I just felt like letting it out for once. Infact, my distant friends say I'm the funniest person ever and I'm always happy but it's not the case really.

I don't require sympathy , just help.

Thank you for reading this far, if you did.
    Hey, i was the exact same as you (minus the crying) and highschool was by far the worst experience for me to date. Things eventually got better in year 11, i lost a lot of weight, made more friends but it still wasnt great. 6th form (at the same school) is where it all chnaged for me, the people around me matured and people were genuinely nicer. Eventually i made a lot of friends and was more "popular", and honestly 6th form was great for me and the best 2 years of my life so far, i hated highschool and had the exact sane issues as you but i kept going, it wasnt nice but eventually things improved by themself, so stay strong op its just a sh*tty stage in your life and soon things will get better.

(Original post by 雷尼克)
    People are annoying you? Guess what everyone feels like you do from time to time but none of us share it with the uncaring world
    Wow, such insanity. I don't feel like this from time to time- it has been happening for years but guess what I kept quite about it and got on with life like normal but I decided to blurt it out for the first time for which I was afraid I would get answers like yours.

I understand it's a personal problem and I know these kind of stories come up all the time. I know people who cry about petty things are annoying and I also know that posting about it here is going to be virtually insignificant in one way.
    However, that was not the aim of my original post. I just wanted to come out of my shell for once of which I have been hiding from because of responses like yours.

One can't hide forever and i apologise for causing you great distress which I didn't intend to do.

Now if you may, please stop posting here if you hate these kind of stories.

(Original post by saeed97)
    Hey, i was the exact same as you (minus the crying) and highschool was by far the worst experience for me to date. Things eventually got better in year 11, i lost a lot of weight, made more friends but it still wasnt great. 6th form (at the same school) is where it all chnaged for me, the people around me matured and people were genuinely nicer. Eventually i made a lot of friends and was more "popular", and honestly 6th form was great for me and the best 2 years of my life so far, i hated highschool and had the exact sane issues as you but i kept going, it wasnt nice but eventually things improved by themself, so stay strong op its just a sh*tty stage in your life and soon things will get better.
    Thanks, glad to hear it got better for you and it goes to prove things do get better. Hopefully, I'll be in the same situation as you in years to come

ReputationRep:
    Oh and also do you think I'm overreacting and I should just grow up?
    I think everyone goes through this. Its part of growing up. Try and work your way through it - it won't last very long as you'll be going to uni im guessing eventually..how old are you?
    Going out two nights in a row is too much really. My parents always enforced this but it was a good thing. How can you do work hung over or tired from the night before.

the love life part..girls have it much easier than guys in getting an other half. If you think you're unattractive start going to the gym.

as for bullies - reading through this I can see your confidence is low which makes you an easy victim. be confident and look like your not going to take any sh*t from them and they will leave you alone. have some good comebacks ready if necessary. what do they actually do?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.