Turn on thread page Beta

B861 - Sunday Trading Act (Repeal) Bill 2015 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    No it wouldn't. It'd just give the option for people to pop to the shops. The state shouldnt have any say in what day I decide to shop.

Many people in other industries work on Sundays. Why not as much in retail?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And who works in the shops? People. Do they have an option to pop to other shops while working in the shops? No. Besides, you don't need to go into a physical shop to do your shopping.

I would be in favour of ceasing all non-essential work on Sundays so that as many people as possible have a set day where they know all their family and friends are going to be around and they can just spend the time doing constructive, enjoyable activities instead of worrying about earning money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    This bill does nothing of the sort. Sunday trading laws exist because, and only because, people are supposed to go to church on a Sunday
    True, but now that that doesn't happen so much why shouldn't people who work in retail be allowed to use the time that they would spend going to church doing something else instead of working?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    True, but now that that doesn't happen so much why shouldn't people who work in retail be allowed to use the time that they would spend going to church doing something else instead of working?
    That can be said about any profession though, yet it's only retail that these laws apply to.

ReputationRep:
    That can be said about any profession though, yet it's only retail that these laws apply to.
    And I would extend it to any profession - I only made it specific to retail because this particular bill concerns retail. Sunday trading/working/whatever laws should be increased, not relaxed.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    This bill does nothing of the sort. Sunday trading laws exist because, and only because, people are supposed to go to church on a Sunday
    Well, if that were the case then the 1994 Act would not include standard Church hours in the 6 allowed.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, people who don't want to shop on Sundays aren't forced to anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the Sunday trading laws changed, to help small shops. People going miles in their car to a shopping centre full of large national stores also does not help the environment or small business. I don't think going back to the pre 1994 laws based on what can be sold, not who can open, is the best solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I see the 'New Liberals' have started to mark out their ideological territory - supplementing this with a new and improved bill format which I imagine will be kept constant throughout. Then mark of Jarred is present.

Some notes would be appreciated to help me understand the arguments for this measure. Without these I am inclined to agree with what the Hon. Tahret has said.
    Actually Ray - it's a return to the more traditional bill formatting where people don't have to write an academic essay underneath to keep certain people happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Actually Ray - it's a return to the more traditional bill formatting where people don't have to write an academic essay underneath to keep certain people happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Notes are compulsory nowadays so unless you repeal A106, you'll have to provide them. It doesn't have to be an academic essay and I think it's a very reasonable and easily satisfiable requirement. The proposer should provide his motivation and at least some basic arguments, preferably along with the status quo in case of repeals.

ReputationRep:
    Shops should be opened as much as possible on Sundays and public holidays, if they want to maximise revenue. After all, it is these days when most people are free to shop, and closing shops on these days would be extremely inconvenient to people, and bad for business. Shops should also stay open on Sundays and public holidays, so that places do not look like ghost towns. Sorry if I have to be a Scrooge, but Christmas is a great day for people to go out and spend their money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Notes are compulsory nowadays so unless you repeal A106, you'll have to provide them. It doesn't have to be an academic essay and I think it's a very reasonable and easily satisfiable requirement. The proposer should provide his motivation and at least some basic arguments, preferably along with the status quo in case of repeals.
    Aye this was my fault, I'd put my justification in the thread in our sub-forum but hadn't copied it into the bill itself.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I can't see why the state should have any say in what day a shop opens. Sunday trading laws are a pointless relic of a bygone era and ought to be repealed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can the Liberals confirm that we had unrestricted trading before the 1994 act otherwise the bill is flawed in the sense it will restore the previous rules rather than allow 24 hour trading on Sunday.

Sort that and it's an Aye.

Better still, why not be truly libertarian and abolish all opening hour restrictions and licensing for all firms so that the state no longer burdens firms by telling when they cannot open, even making them pay for a license.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    And who works in the shops? People. Do they have an option to pop to other shops while working in the shops? No. Besides, you don't need to go into a physical shop to do your shopping.

I would be in favour of ceasing all non-essential work on Sundays so that as many people as possible have a set day where they know all their family and friends are going to be around and they can just spend the time doing constructive, enjoyable activities instead of worrying about earning money.
    Constructive, enjoyable activities that often require someone else to be working.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Constructive, enjoyable activities that often require someone else to be working.
    I can think of plenty of things that don't require anybody to be working, do you need somebody working to go out for a walk or a family ride (whether that be bikes horses or something else you personally would be the owner of)? Do you need anybody to be working for you to watch TV as a family or play board games? The only people you would need working are the essential workers for power and the likes.

Obviously you then might also want to go to the theatre, or a gig, or since sorting event, which do require workers beyond the essential, but there are also a large number of constructive and enjoyable activities that do not require non essential workers, and those things can always be done on the Saturday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Playing board games, gardening, playing amateur sport, going for a walk/to do some other outdoor activity, playing music, making a family meal together, online shopping, communicating with family members living far away and just generally chilling out are all examples of constructive, enjoyable activities that don't require someone else to be working.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Playing board games, gardening, playing amateur sport, going for a walk/to do some other outdoor activity, playing music, making a family meal together, online shopping, communicating with family members living far away and just generally chilling out are all examples of constructive, enjoyable activities that don't require someone else to be working.
    You missed doing The Times crossword

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You missed doing The Times crossword

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Comes under a loose definition of board games
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I can think of plenty of things that don't require anybody to be working, do you need somebody working to go out for a walk or a family ride (whether that be bikes horses or something else you personally would be the owner of)? Do you need anybody to be working for you to watch TV as a family or play board games? The only people you would need working are the essential workers for power and the likes.

Obviously you then might also want to go to the theatre, or a gig, or since sorting event, which do require workers beyond the essential, but there are also a large number of constructive and enjoyable activities that do not require non essential workers, and those things can always be done on the Saturday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about Sunday sporting events for example? The Premier League has deliberately put most of its big games on a Sunday, even the (FIFA) World Cup final is played on a Sunday.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    What about Sunday sporting events for example? The Premier League has deliberately put most of its big games on a Sunday, even the (FIFA) World Cup final is played on a Sunday.
    I'm pretty sure you can work out the reason why

Hint: Sunday trading

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.