Turn on thread page Beta

EU Referendum: Campaign to leave the European Union watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be elected campaign leader?
    RotatingPhasor
    4.17%
    Tahret
    0%
    Adam9317
    12.50%
    Nigel Farage MEP
    54.17%
    United1892
    16.67%
    PetrosAC
    4.17%
    Hazzer1998
    8.33%

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Sweet, can we have our own little 'contented' hats? :P
    Definitely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Would you really let Labour et al. in your private forum? Have you moved everything to Skype?
    I was a bit hasty in making that suggestion; there is nothing controversial in our private forum; only half-written bills, lists, strategy, and motivational posts, but it is best to keep things private.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Only if they had skills and a visa: I was a bit hasty in making that suggestion. There is nothing controversial in our private forum; only half-written bills, lists, strategy, and motivational posts, but it is best to keep things private.
    To be honest, there is little to no skill required in creating a sub-forum with permission only to those in a certain usergroup.

Total CT time required: 1-5 minutes (depending on internet and typing speed)

ReputationRep:
    Mek me leder 'n u all git cake
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    To be honest, there is little to no skill required in creating a sub-forum with permission only to those in a certain usergroup.

Total CT time required: 1-5 minutes (depending on internet and typing speed)
    And yet Aph reckons it takes weeks for them to change permissions for the government sub forum
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    And yet Aph reckons it takes weeks for them to change permissions for the government sub forum
    It shouldn't... To be fair, it'll depend on the customisation the dev team have put behind vBulletin, but even then, the Admin panel won't have been changed much, if at all, and so the time may be increased by a few mins! Theoretically, it should be going onto the sub-forum settings page, and changing which usergroups (in this case, deselecting the relevant party usergroups) have access to the sub-forum. I believe the reason that it takes so long, is because it's low priority for the CT...

however, if this isn't the case, and things aren't so simple, I'd love to know, and then I'd love to know why so much has been changed from the default vBulletin admin settings...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    It shouldn't... To be fair, it'll depend on the customisation the dev team have put behind vBulletin, but even then, the Admin panel won't have been changed much, if at all, and so the time may be increased by a few mins! Theoretically, it should be going onto the sub-forum settings page, and changing which usergroups (in this case, deselecting the relevant party usergroups) have access to the sub-forum. I believe the reason that it takes so long, is because it's low priority for the CT...

however, if this isn't the case, and things aren't so simple, I'd love to know, and then I'd love to know why so much has been changed from the default vBulletin admin settings...
    And this wouldn't be? Could argue that if my amendment passes it should be much higher priority

And time to go out and get a probable card: could just be incompetence.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with James Milibanter, the debate needs to be more detailed that the economic debate. I propose the debate follows a descending structure with the more important topics being given more emphasis, not more detail.
    1. Democracy - each EU citizen is not equally represented, and the elected EU Parliament does not have full control.
    2. Impact on Britain - destroys fishing industry, financial industry, and food industry .
    3. Failures of EU policy - failure to deal with economic migrants and crime.
    4. Benefits on Britain from being outside EU - easier for small businesses to manage their affairs, freedoms to control taxation, revived fishing industry, and ability to strengthen ties with developing economic powerhouses. This point will be argued by emphasising the benefits of increased trade on an individual's wealth to avoid being trapped in debating economic theories.
    5. Miscellaneous points - cultures are different.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    And this wouldn't be? Could argue that if my amendment passes it should be much higher priority

And time to go out and get a probable card: could just be incompetence.
    Of course this still would be low priority - my point was more that, this could be done in an extremely short amount of time in a spare few minutes whilst the kettle is boiling... Either it could be done during work time, as after all, it's a part of the CT's job, or a couple mins before logging off at the end of the day - either way, it's comparable to me spending an extra few minutes to help you get something into your car, or me staying for a few minutes at the end of work after my hours are over, to get something sorted for a customer...!

I think it's genuinely not that, but there is only 1 (maybe 2) who tend to deal with permissions and this sort of thing (due to capabilities I have been lead to believe), and so you can imagine lots of different requests/issues being reported to the one CT dealing with them all, and there can be a fair amount to do...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Of course this still would be low priority - my point was more that, this could be done in an extremely short amount of time in a spare few minutes whilst the kettle is boiling... Either it could be done during work time, as after all, it's a part of the CT's job, or a couple mins before logging off at the end of the day - either way, it's comparable to me spending an extra few minutes to help you get something into your car, or me staying for a few minutes at the end of work after my hours are over, to get something sorted for a customer...!

I think it's genuinely not that, but there is only 1 (maybe 2) who tend to deal with permissions and this sort of thing (due to capabilities I have been lead to believe), and so you can imagine lots of different requests/issues being reported to the one CT dealing with them all, and there can be a fair amount to do...
    More powers to Birch, get him even closer to :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    Sign me up
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    More powers to Birch, get him even closer to :fuhrer:
    Haha, it'd never happen! Anyway, sorry everyone for majorly derailing this thread!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with James Milibanter, the debate needs to be more detailed that the economic debate. I propose the debate follows a descending structure with the more important topics being given more emphasis, not more detail.
    1. Democracy - each EU citizen is not equally represented, and the elected EU Parliament does not have full control.
    2. Impact on Britain - destroys fishing industry, financial industry, and food industry .
    4. Benefits on Britain from being outside EU - easier for small businesses to manage their affairs, freedoms to control taxation, revived fishing industry, and ability to strengthen ties with developing economic powerhouses. This point will be argued by emphasising the benefits of increased trade on an individual's wealth to avoid being trapped in debating economic theories.
    1) Feel the bolded argument is a bit pointless as you can say the same about the UK
    3) I know your views are different to mine but to win we need to win over undecided voters if we say too much which could be considered racist (not saying it is) we are likely to lose more votes particularly as this is a student forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Sign me up
    4 Labour members now, we're not as outnumbered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    1) Feel the bolded argument is a bit pointless as you can say the same about the UK
    3) I know your views are different to mine but to win we need to win over undecided voters if we say too much which could be considered racist (not saying it is) we are likely to lose more votes particularly as this is a student forum.
    The finer details of the points can be worked on later, but a structure is needed to give people a framework for their research: the debate will not be won if everyone returns after research with a piece of, mismatching, anti-EU rhetoric. I do not consider one person in Britain to be 15 times more represented at the national level than another person, which is the case when comparing people in Malta with people in the UK. The easiest way to win over undecided voters is to tell them what they want, TSR polls can be used to find what the majority think, allowing us to show the damaging effects of the EU's involvement in various domestic issues.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent points, but we also need to be rebutting the pro-EU arguments in advance, and reassuring people that we are pro-European but anti-EU, as the EU is destroying Europe and letting it be overrun by migrants. We oppose the EU project that was supposed to bring the European people closer together, but ended up creating a North/South divide with the Germans accusing the Greeks of being lazy, and the Greeks accusing the Germans of being Nazis. There is no point in creating a superstate with so much difference between its constituent members, as it would only end up like a Yugoslavian situation.

ReputationRep:
    The finer details of the points can be worked on later, but a structure is needed to give people a framework for their research: the debate will not be won if everyone returns after research with a piece of, mismatching, anti-EU rhetoric. I do not consider one person in Britain to be 15 times more represented at the national level than another person, which is the case when comparing people in Malta with people in the UK. The easiest way to win over undecided voters is to tell them what they want, TSR polls can be used to find what the majority think, allowing us to show the damaging effects of the EU's involvement in various domestic issues.
    I agree we must present a coherent strategy. I believe the highest difference is 5 times less people in the western isles (na h something or other) compared to the isle of wight. Good idea.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Excellent points, but we also need to be rebutting the pro-EU arguments in advance, and reassuring people that we are pro-European. We oppose the EU project that was supposed to bring the European people closer together, but ended up creating a North/South divide with the Germans accusing the Greeks of being lazy, and the Greeks accusing the Germans of being Nazis. There is no point in creating a superstate with so much difference between its constituent members, as it would only end up like a Yugoslavian situation.
    Well, the Greeks are kinda lazy...

ReputationRep:
    Well, the Greeks are kinda lazy...
    Yes, but Germans would not be having problems with them if they had not had to bail them out with their own money numerous times, and there would not have had to be bailouts if Greece was not in the Eurozone. Greece cannot devalue its currency and recover as long as it remains in the Eurozone.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thank you Nigel.

As for the failed EU policy, there's a lot that we can go on. There's the thousands of people shot and killed by police under EU corpus juris. There's the european bias towards immigration, we can benefit from immigration from all over the world, not just europe. There's the failure of the EU to take adequate steps against Putin, something that we the UK can solve through NATO. There's the single currency which makes the EU constantly economically vulnerable. There's the Common Agricultural Policy which harms developing economies throughout the world. There's more than enough to dig our teeth into without alienating anyone, whether they be on the right or the left.

As for the single currency, it's like cooking a meal, and having everything in the kitchen set to one setting, some food's gonna turn out burnt and some's gonna turn out raw. They have a single currency which doesn't take into account the varying types of economies within the member states and have settings on to benefit Germany and France.

Parliamentary sovereignty is a big issue too, there's always dispute about how many of our laws come from Brussels but I'm of the belief that none of our laws should exist from outside Parliament so however many the true figure is it's still too much.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.