Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    It is a choice, no one is born gay, there are people who who became gay but then became straight again.

Are you still a feminist?
    How is it a choice? I cannot just suddenly one day wake up and think oh today I want to be attracted to women romantically and sexually, and then the next think oh I want a man today. People cannot choose what gender they are attracted to, therefore your argument is ridiculous.

And yes I am still a feminist, why are you asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Is it the law that muslims are to be killed for being muslim?

But why reduce the scope of the argument?
    ...what? when did I say that? I said "non-muslims" - and yes, obviously it is in some countries! do you not know about sharia law? :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Make your mind up. So it's not a choice then?

Why not?

How so?
    Obviously you don't randomly become gay, but you can choose to be gay or not, just like a pedophile can choose to not sexually abuse children.

ReputationRep:
    I would say no. Blacks and women where treated unfairly in the past in nearly every aspect of there lives. From being unable to seek work up to being denied there own freedom simply because of there sex or race. This is no longer the case for any minority in the western world. What they are fighting for is the right to be OPENLY gay, even in countries where it is considered highly illegal (parts of the Middle East & Africa) people are gay behind closed doors and still lead normal lifes for the most part as it is not as noticeable in public as having dark skin or tits.

Even prior to gay marriage being legal in the UK we had gay civil unions which where the same as marriage in all but name (this wasnt the case in the US where civil unions where exempt from many married legal exemptions) so the gay rights movement in the UK in the last couple of decades has really just been about public acceptance rather than actual legal rights.

Its ironic that these movements have actually made gay rights worse in some nations. Russia being a prime example simply due to there culture which leads to large misconceptions, especially in the west. In Russian culture it is considered improper to openly express any sexual preference or behaviour in public to strangers which is why in Russia in particular there rallies arnt taken seriously and are frequently counter protested to the point where the goverment have had to implement knee jerk reactionary policies which have put them a massive step back in gay rights. It isnt necasseraly an indication that Russia is full of homophobic bible bashers, it is more than the means that the western style gay rights movement has fought for there rights is considered somewhat improper and even offensive in Russian culture which is why it is so easy for the anti-gay movement to gain traction there, especially with older generations. What I find even more ironic is how the western media turns on Russia claiming they are backwards when they where the first (during the time of the USSR) to properly recognise womans rights and womans equality a way back in the 1940s in a time where in Britain we where still laughing at there "suffragette" movement and chaining them to there kitchens. They also where very early to solve there "race" issues but that is a complicated issue that still had a lot of stigma attached to it in the past (Non-Russian USSR citizens & ethnic asian Russian, that is some complicated history). Its all swings and roundabouts though I suppose, people are entitled to there own beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    ...what? when did I say that? I said "non-muslims" - and yes, obviously it is in some countries! do you not know about sharia law? :|
    Sorry completely miss read your post!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    It's a choice meaning initially environmental influences steer you towards becoming gay but you have the choice to reject acting on it.

But once again even if I agree there's nothing wrong with it, it's still not the same as civil rights which was about not giving rights based on ethnicity/race.

The legalisation and normalisation of homosexuality is bad for society because it will decay family structures, it will negatively affect male female relations and negatively affect children mentally.
    So it's not a choice then.

Is this based on anything, or just speculative? I'm assuming the latter, given studies into it have shown there aren't detrimental affects on children from things like same-sex parenting for one. And you've nothing to support any of your other points either, as yet.

ReputationRep:
    People become gay because of environmental influences as they grow up, but the point is it's not the same as civil rights so gays should not equate their agenda to civil rights. Homosexuality is not a good thing as well, it's bad for society.
    Then why are there gay muslims given their environment wouldn't be supportive of homosexuality and they wouldn't be exposed to 'gay' things

And why would a muslim choose to be gay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    How is it a choice? I cannot just suddenly one day wake up and think oh today I want to be attracted to women romantically and sexually, and then the next think oh I want a man today. People cannot choose what gender they are attracted to, therefore your argument is ridiculous.

They become gay because of environmental reasons but they can choose not to be gay just like a pedophile can choose not to sexually abuse children even though that's who arouse them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Then why are there gay muslims given their environment wouldn't be supportive of homosexuality and they wouldn't be exposed to 'gay' things

And why would a muslim choose to be gay?
    The point of my post was that it is not the same thing as civil rights.

ReputationRep:

Prsom

ReputationRep:
    The point of my post was that it is not the same thing as civil rights.
    Of course it is

you are simply trying to claim that being gay is a choice so not comparable.

You have been shown you are wrong and your arguments have been dismissed

But I note you didn't answer the questions I asked

ReputationRep:
    Quite and when those who say 'it's a choice' are asked if they can choose they always seem to answer NO.

ReputationRep:
    Where? For whom?

These things are relative. In the 60's in America, there were racist lynch mobs and segregation.
    Today, we have some Muslims pushing gay men off buildings or burning them alive, in a cage, and recording it. We have, in Russia, gangs of nationalists roaming the streets beating up homosexuals, being endorsed by their government. It's still pretty bad to be a homosexual, in general. There are numerous countries where it is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you don't randomly become gay, but you can choose to be gay or not, just like a pedophile can choose to not sexually abuse children.
    You're actually deluded. There is a clear difference betweent those two things and that is this:

Sexuality is sexual attraction. It is a natural human thing and is engrained in you.

Chosing not to molest someone or abuse someone is a CONSCIOUS decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    You're actually deluded. There is a clear difference betweent those two things and that is this:

Sexuality is sexual attraction. It is a natural human thing and is engrained in you.

Chosing not to molest someone or abuse someone is a CONSCIOUS decision.
    Homosexuality is not normal, it happens because of perverse influences from society.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Homosexuality is not normal, it happens because of perverse influences from society.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Such as?
    Perverse sexual desires.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Perverse sexual desires.
    Are you going to provide evidence for any of your claims so far?

ReputationRep:
    They become gay because of environmental reasons but they can choose not to be gay just like a pedophile can choose not to sexually abuse children even though that's who arouse them.

Are you ignorant of feminists real agenda or do you condone their self serving anti male agenda. Feminists are vile and sinister.
    Do you know the definition of homosexuality and paedophilia? You can be either and not act on your desires; it is what they are attracted which defines the words, not their actions. Also, many gay men and women have been bought up in the same environment as straight people.

I'm not even to going into this. Do you think I am vile and sinister then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nangnang)
    So, yes, the situation is less grave than it was for those partaking in the civil rights movement, but that doesn't mean it's worth any less.
    Actually, that's exactly what it means. The amount people care about the abuses towards a certain group is in direct proportion to the severity of those abuses. Why wouldn't it be?

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.