Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 English Literature 2016 - Love Through The Ages. Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellioteeey)
    I'm writing my coursework for AQA and my texts are Othello, The Great Gatsby and A view from the bridge. The question is about the presentation of the women as the tragic hero. However i'm unsure on how to begin the essay and thee structure of it. Any help is appreciated

Intro - Outline your main arguement and 3/4 key points you will use to back it up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrawlx101)
    Intro - Outline your main arguement and 3/4 key points you will use to back it up
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm also on this syllabus doing Romeo and Juliet, Wide Sargasso Sea and A View from The Bridge for coursework. We're also starting Wuthering Heights to use for wider reading.
    The poetry aspect of English is really difficult for me, does anyone have any revision resources for the different types or poetry and eras? E.g. Ballads, Romanticism

Thank you. I need help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellioteeey)
    Thanks
    I did my coursework on Gatsby last year and I'm also doing A View from The Bridge this year! If you need any help feel free to ask me, I love coursework haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused: is this thread for the new spec or old?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by HeyThereItsKate)
    I'm confused: is this thread for the new spec or old?
    This is only for A2 students; who started their AS in Sept 2014.

There is not a current thread for the, new specification.

ReputationRep:
    Poets that we have been studying have been:
    Thomas Hardy - A Ruined Maid (this covers prostitution)
    John Keats - La Bella Dame sans Meri ( The beautiful woman without mercy)
    Lord Byron - She Walks in Beauty
    Christina Rossetti - Remember
    a couple of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes poems to cover the destruction of love.

ReputationRep:
    Hi just hoping if people could give me a few ideas of advanced coursework titles for my a2 english aqa exam board courswork? Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by User1102)
    Hi just hoping if people could give me a few ideas of advanced coursework titles for my a2 english aqa exam board courswork? Thank you!
    This would work if you mention the texts you've read... I'm not going to give you my title if your topic is about women for example.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Could anyone suggest a good text which is about social status, or even incorporates social status a little? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Could anyone suggest a good text which is about social status, or even incorporates social status a little? Thanks.
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    The Importance of Being Earnest/A Woman of No Importance (A lot of Wilde's plays focus on social status) by Oscar Wilde.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by oswalds)
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    The Importance of Being Earnest/A Woman of No Importance (A lot of Wilde's plays focus on social status) by Oscar Wilde.
    Thank you. Brave New World had never even occurred to me for some reason! :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinsNotTragedies)
    Thank you. Brave New World had never even occurred to me for some reason! :^_^:
    That's alright I didn't think of it at first either, but there is actually loads you could write about it!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested in quote banks for the WW1 or Love through the ages element, there are 2 great ones listed below,

WW1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2721184116...84.m1555.l2649
    Love: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2721184114...84.m1555.l2649

ReputationRep:
    Just found this and so glad! Finding this exam really quite hard but predicted an A... Got my mock next week but we've never actually done a question 2 in class! Can someone please tell me how they would structure it?
    My course work is on the use of masks and disguises in Macbeth, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Jekyll and Hyde.
    Anyone looking at the Duchess of Malfi, Great Gatsby or the Katherine Mansfield short stories e.g. Bliss?
    Also I've heard the term 'heightened portrayal' used a lot for Gatsby but I'm not really sure what it means :/ does anyone have any quotes for it as an example and an explanation please?
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling pretty confident for English Literature, but hopefully the second question won't be too restrictive.

My teacher told me that not a lot of people study Chaucer, so I was curious whether any of you had?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    done the millere's tale - its old eng and i hate it...give me purple hibiscus anyday

ReputationRep:
    Nooo Chaucer is awesome! You only need to remember odd words of the extract, and you'll really impress your examiner by your expansive knowledge and be almost guaranteed full WR marks. How can you study Love Through The Ages without an appreciation for where it all started?

Never checked out Purple Hibiscus but I might at some point.

ReputationRep:
    How many wider reading texts has everyone got? I'm unsure to whether we've look at too many, inside and outside of class!

Classwork

Prose: Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love and The Lovely Bones [apparently, it counts!]

Drama: A View From the Bridge, Top Girls, My Mother Said I Never Should, A Dol's House, Taming of the Shrew, The importance of Being Earnest.

Poetry: We've done over 20 in class, not counting the ones I've done individually... reoccuring ones that seem to link to everything are Sonnet 130, The Flea, and She Walks in Beauty. I am really struggling to find modern poets though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalightwood)
    How many wider reading texts has everyone got? I'm unsure to whether we've look at too many, inside and outside of class!

Classwork

Prose: Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Great Expectations, The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love and The Lovely Bones [apparently, it counts!]

Drama: A View From the Bridge, Top Girls, My Mother Said I Never Should, A Dol's House, Taming of the Shrew, The importance of Being Earnest.

Poetry: We've done over 20 in class, not counting the ones I've done individually... reoccuring ones that seem to link to everything are Sonnet 130, The Flea, and She Walks in Beauty. I am really struggling to find modern poets though.
    You have a good range of wider reading there. Some that we have done that I have found useful are : Chaucer 'Canterbury Tales' (for really early poetry) , Carol Anne Duffy and Benjamin Zephaniah (love of country, race) for modern poets . Also I like W H Audens 'Funeral Blues'

I might aswell put my wider reading list up in case anyone finds it useful I based my list on others in the forum
    Prose: A Handmaids Tale, The Color Purple, Jane Eyre , Tess of the d'Urbervilles, The Great Gatsby ,Frankenstein, and Animal Farm ( love of power)
    I'm currently reading A Room without a view and I might read Oranges are not the only fruit

Drama: A Streetcar Named Desire, Top Girls, The Crucible, A Woman of No importance, The importance of being Earnest, A Dolls house, Macbeth, Othello, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Much Ado About Nothing

Poetry: Carol Anne Duffy (feminine gospels and worlds wife), Benjamin Zephaniah, W H Audens 'funeral blues , a few Shakespeare sonnets, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner , Chaucer ( A knights tale, A Millers tale and the Wife of Bath) and then some random poems that i can't remember off the top of my head

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.