Turn on thread page Beta

Apple September Event - Live Thread (6PM 9th Sept) watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain how their iCloud plan thing works ($1 a month - I assume £0.79 - for 50GB of storage)?

I have an iPhone 6 and a MBP and plan on getting the iPad Pro and I know that storing things on iCloud means that I can access them on all my devices as they change in real time etc, but my iPhone only has 16GB (should have bought the 64GB one, I know) so would I be able to use the 50GB to essentially increase my iPhone's storage?

As in, by storing photos taken by my iPhone on iCloud so I can still access them on my iPhone but they just won't be stored on my iPhone anymore, freeing up lots of space?

Thanks .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    Can anyone explain how their iCloud plan thing works ($1 a month - I assume £0.79 - for 50GB of storage)?

I have an iPhone 6 and a MBP and plan on getting the iPad Pro and I know that storing things on iCloud means that I can access them on all my devices as they change in real time etc, but my iPhone only has 16GB (should have bought the 64GB one, I know) so would I be able to use the 50GB to essentially increase my iPhone's storage?

As in, by storing photos taken by my iPhone on iCloud so I can still access them on my iPhone but they just won't be stored on my iPhone anymore, freeing up lots of space?

Thanks .
    Correct. If you have 60GB of photos then they'll be in the cloud and accessed remotely.

Personally I use over 60GB, so have the 200GB plan.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    Ah great, thanks.

So I will have the option to store all the photos/videos I take from my iPhone to the "[i]Cloud" (automatically?) and not on my device (but they will still be accessible from my iPhone)?

The UK plans seem to omit a 50GB option, can I expect that to come to the UK sometime around Sep 25th?
    Not sure about the 50GB thing, but you get an option to upload to iCloud when you're on WiFi automatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Not sure about the 50GB thing, but you get an option to upload to iCloud when you're on WiFi automatically.
    Sorry for being stupid, but in that case would it be stored only on iCloud and not on your iPhone (automatically)?

Seems a bit useless when the main use I would have for it would be to free up my phone of photos by storing them in the cloud; considering I take most of my photos when I'm out (meaning no WiFi) I'd have to manually then transfer them all to iCloud and delete them off my phone every time I got back home (/somewhere with Wifi)?

ReputationRep:
    My expectations: Largely overpriced, barely improved newer versions of their products, all which will come with very minor aesthetic changes and the usual samey, barely improved/ not improved for actual daily use software which allows no user customization.

Don't get me wrong though, I have many apple products which I use regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Someone said that they're at a ceiling atm until there's a massive breakthrough in mobile battery.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be interested in seeing how well the 128GB Pro does in sales, given that for around the same price you can pick up either a MacBook Air or Surface Pro 3 for example, throw in the Pencil you're spending $50-$100 more than both. It's definitely going to appeal to a lot of people, but it's supposedly a professional-oriented device that's going up against the mid range laptop market (and high end, digitiser equipped Windows tabkets) that are capable of being way more functional without having to make huge compromises on size and weight. I certainly wasn't expecting a £500 price tag, but it may be just a little too high.

ReputationRep:
    $99 for a STYLUS, ****ing lol you couldn't make it up, if I see anyone using one at uni this year I'll go over and snap it in 2 and tell them what a ****ing mindless idiot they are....
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I don't get why they didn't just call it Force Touch again, it's essentially the same principle of pressure-based inputs allowing for additional actions.
    Because that's an admission that it is nothing new, just like the renaming of videos /gifs to appear innovative

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    It's just the same old same old: passing off old technologies as new and innovative, doing what others did first, using questionable marketing statements and passing off expected performance increases as something incredible; in the meantime throwing their 200%+ apple tax on everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    $99 for a STYLUS, ****ing lol you couldn't make it up, if I see anyone using one at uni this year I'll go over and snap it in 2 and tell them what a ****ing mindless idiot they are....
    A decent stylus/tablet will cost you about £300 (one that's not a starter basic one), if not up to a grand anyway. So it's not actually that bad a deal if you're using it for graphics. That's definitely what Adobe see it as, as demonstrated.

I take it that you wouldn't do the latter as you'd find yourself in a bit of hot water with your academic behaviour review panel.

ReputationRep:
    apple tv is such a gimmick
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by sandvika)
    apple tv is such a gimmick
    Most of the stuff apple does is, at the very least in the way they present it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I'm sure I saw something very similar to this on BBC Click a while ago. It's exciting stuff.

ReputationRep:
    When do we get to know the exact release date of the iPad Pro?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KBradders)
    I think Apple will just gain customers with how bad Microsoft is doing lately. Two bad operating systems back-to-back.
    Nonsense. Windows 10 is actually very good, it's just users that are incompetent.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ordered my 6S this morning, 25th September delivery.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.