Turn on thread page Beta

Hip Hop and old school rnb anyone? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghaniza)
    Lol i can't help it born in the late 90s had to put cassie there
    Ikr Mobb deep should be better known, all the songs were bangers, my fav Hey Luv is so hard to find. Lol my playlist is a mess of old and new
    Hey Luv was okay. I prefer Hell on Earth and The Infamous albums though - I think they fell off the wagon so to speak after Hell on Earth, apart from like random songs (e.g. Quiet Storm, Where Ya Heart At, Streets Raised me...). Shook Ones Pt2, Extortion and Trife Life are among my favourites from them. The production was amazing on Shook Ones Pt2; I think Havoc is up there with the greatest in terms of his skills.

(Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    lolwut
    What? He's had some good tracks in his time, but I concede he is mostly crap. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Rap at its finest: Big L, Eminem, NWA, Nas, Tupac, RAKIM.

Nate Dogg must get an honourable mention for his hooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Django)
    Your initial list really isn't old school. We should be talking about the true legends:

Snoop, Dre, Tupac, Nas, Ice cube, Eazy E, Biggie (the greatest), Rakim, Mobb Deep, Ll cool j, Em, DMX and lil Kim.

Tech n9ne and j cole are decent but not in the same league. Current rappers are ok but tbh it's only jay z and Kanye that can get anywhere close to the glory days of easy coast vs west coast
    I have added hardly any of those i wanted to, to my list because it was pretty quick.
    Secondly old school for me is different since i was born in the late 90s and consider old school different to what you may, however that being said i listened to "Snoop, Dre, Tupac, Nas, Ice cube, Rakim, Mobb Deep and lil Kim" at that time i was more into rnb than rap tbh but yh great artists.

Yh guess we should be bringing up the legends because i was just listing J.Cole because i'm a fan and the other rappers were from my secondary school days so had to mention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    Hey Luv was okay. I prefer Hell on Earth and The Infamous albums though - I think they fell off the wagon so to speak after Hell on Earth, apart from like random songs (e.g. Quiet Storm, Where Ya Heart At, Streets Raised me...). Shook Ones Pt2, Extortion and Trife Life are among my favourites from them. The production was amazing on Shook Ones Pt2; I think Havoc is up there with the greatest in terms of his skills.

What? He's had some good tracks in his time, but I concede he is mostly crap. :lol:
    Mobb Deep - Give it to me Love that track, Ahh but i don't think they're back in the game like they used to be, i remember everyone bluetoothing tracks lol, loved it,
    Ja Rule, Ashanti damn how are people sleeping on her? She was great, R.Kelly anyone in terms of rnb? Because he is like the king of rnb. 'The Game' , Nelly - for me they're old school i guess

ReputationRep:
    Ruff Sqwad

Also love Tupac and Co.

ReputationRep:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6kmOyaONbA

ReputationRep:
    Who LOVES hiphop?

-J.Cole
    -Tupac
    -Kendrick Lamar
    -Kanye West
    - Ja Rule back in the day
    -Nicki Minaj

Massive J.Cole fan btw and love Kendricks 'blacker the berry' track, and the rest of the artists you'd probably know well

Also old school/rnb? R.Kelly, Avant,T-Pain, Usher, Mariah Carey Mario, Beyonce, Rihanna and oh yeah AKON!

Grew up listening to the golden music and still do to this day, wbu?
    J. Cole- Power trip, timelesssssssssssss

ReputationRep:
    Who LOVES hiphop?

-J.Cole
    -Tupac
    -Kendrick Lamar
    -Kanye West
    -Nicki Minaj

Massive J.Cole fan btw and love Kendricks 'blacker the berry' track, and the rest of the artists you'd probably know well

Also old school/rnb? R.Kelly, Avant,T-Pain, Usher, Mariah Carey Mario, Beyonce, Rihanna and oh yeah AKON!

I'm sure Nelly has a new track called the fix ft jeremih, you should check it out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestWingmanEver)
    J. Cole- Power trip, timelesssssssssssss
    Hell yeahh

ReputationRep:
    thanks i will
    (Original post by amoham)
    I'm sure Nelly has a new track called the fix ft jeremih, you should check it out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Two of my favourite genres.

Mostly love old school hip hop - A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang, N.W.A, any Gang Starr stuff however as previously stated Kendrick is amazing. Love "Momma" off his new album. Common's "Be" is one of my favourite rap albums ever from the new-ish gen. In fact anything that came out of Kanye's record label at the time is great such as John Legend's debut and (obviously) Late Registration.

As far as R&B is concerned I'm a big neo-soul fan, D'Angelo is probably my favourite artist of all time. Erykah Badu, Frank Ocean, Maxwell, Dwele... Also recently discovered more Soulquarian-era stuff so Common's "Like Water For Chocolate", The Roots' "Things Fall Apart".

Love anything to do with Pharrell - old school Neptunes is my ****. LL Cool J's "Luv U Better" is such a jam.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeahh
    Any song by Kanye is sick- Flashing lights and Heartless are both pretty old-school (and great tunes), I can't wait for him to release his new album though

ReputationRep:
    This
    is
    how
    we
    do
    it.

ReputationRep:
    Who LOVES hiphop?

-J.Cole
    -Tupac
    -Kendrick Lamar
    -Kanye West
    -Nicki Minaj

Doubt you'd find a bigger Cole fan than me.
    Also huge fan of Chance, Gambino, Usher, TI, Kendrick, Kanye, BIG, 50, Pac Nas etc etc I listen to a LOT. Too many to list.

Dreamville do new school rap better than anyone imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hip hop has turned to **** in the in recent years.
    Its actually very easy to find good Hip-Hop albums. (2010+)

ReputationRep:
    Outkast been mentioned yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Its actually very easy to find good Hip-Hop albums. (2010+)
    But in comparison to the previous 25 years?

ReputationRep:
    Who LOVES hiphop?

-J.Cole
    -Tupac
    -Kendrick Lamar
    -Kanye West
    -Nicki Minaj

I like groups like en vogue, jade, eternal, kut klose,monica, xsacpe, chante moore, tlc, blaque, dc and so much more

ReputationRep:
    But in comparison to the previous 25 years?
    We are currently in a great period of Hip-Hop. Lots of quality alternative stuff out. People just look back on music from the past a little more fondly than is justified and act like music being put out now is terrible. Other than G Funk and Outkast most of the stuff I listen to is from the past ten years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    We are currently in a great period of Hip-Hop. Lots of quality alternative stuff out. People just look back on music from the past a little more fondly than is justified and act like music being put out now is terrible. Other than G Funk and Outkast most of the stuff I listen to is from the past ten years.
    I disagree with 'more fondly than is justified'. That aside, would you give me a few recommendations for the cream of the past decade; I would like to hear your opinion?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.