Turn on thread page Beta

Are there many students at university that don't drink alcohol? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    yeah. I've been involved with 8 freshers weeks to varying extents at a variety of different universities, so I know a lot about what goes on. Hence I'm able to give better information than the majority of users.
    Are you still in education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwinnyP)
    Are you still in education?
    Just graduated!

Although in a more fundamental sense, we're all still in education. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I just think it shows a total contempt for the course and the institution. Your parents fought tooth and nail to get you in to the position of attending Uni, you should do your darndest to return the favour and come out with a good result. This means the total rejection of anything not course related and obviously no alcohol, gender mixing, parties, shopping beyond the necessities. But until we have Halal universities we won't see any progress amongst our youth in our educational attainment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nu Sharia)
    I just think it shows a total contempt for the course and the institution. Your parents fought tooth and nail to get you in to the position of attending Uni, you should do your darndest to return the favour and come out with a good result. This means the total rejection of anything not course related and obviously no alcohol, gender mixing, parties, shopping beyond the necessities. But until we have Halal universities we won't see any progress amongst our youth in our educational attainment.
    Expand on this point please.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on nights out with several people who don't drink and it doesn't change anything! Don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority do get very drunk most nights during feshers and I would highly recommend at least going on one night out and attending pre drinks and you can just have soft drinks as those are the situations people get to know each other best, after the initial freshers week everyone calms down and does more non drinking activities.

We had two non drinking people in my block, one came to all the pre drinks and most nights out but stuck to Coke and orange juice and still had a great time, the other didn't feel comfortable in that situation and stayed in her room, you can guess which one we became most friends with, the second we did try and include in other things but it never really worked she joined the christian society and made her friends there and on her course.

ReputationRep:
    I've met quite a few other non-drinkers whilst at Uni, I've never had much of a problem socially. There is a slight awkwardness at first when people find out I don't drink, but I've found that this is only because drinkers often think that non-drinkers are judging them! Which we know isn't the case, but it passes and nobody really gives it a second though now.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.