Turn on thread page Beta

How do you know if a shy guy likes you? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Anonymous)
    It's hard for me to answer that question until next week (when we get our official timetables).

If I do talk to him, is there any "signs" I should look out for?
    He'll might be nervous so lack of eye contact, fidgety.

He also could be very nice perhaps too nice.

Maybe he will sound enthusiastic too. Sometimes you can 'sense' when a person wants to talk to you with their tone and words along with body language (body facing towards you etc)

But it can be hard to tell at times.

I'm a boy and I'm in the same situation as you but with a girl. She is in one of my classes but I'm so shy and nervous I can't speak to her. I want her to speak to me on her own which is what you should do

ReputationRep:
    as a shy guy when it comes to romance
    the looking, glances or staring but once it is picked up by the receiver then i stop and look back at my phone, finacial working or book or whatever i am doing

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Ha, once again I've been in in a similar situation but with a different girl.

If you do share lessons, ask if you can sit next to him. Ask him questions about work, smile, be friendly... put him at ease. And if you think things are going well, ask him if you want to study together during free periods or at the local library, and after a few of those if the weather's nice ask if you want to stuy outdoors somewhere (probably won't work in winter!) and get to know him all the while from getting his number / adding him on Facebook when you were arranging when to meet up. If you keep asking him questions about himself, talking to him and being nice he'll open up eventually.
    Wow we're so similar! :P

So what do I do if we're not in the same classes?

(Original post by jamesthehustler)
    as a shy guy when it comes to romance
    the looking, glances or staring but once it is picked up by the receiver then i stop and look back at my phone, finacial working or book or whatever i am doing
    Yeah he does that! But how do I take it to the next step because it feels like all that's going on is him constantly staring

(Original post by A Gentleman)
    He'll might be nervous so lack of eye contact, fidgety.

He also could be very nice perhaps too nice.

Maybe he will sound enthusiastic too. Sometimes you can 'sense' when a person wants to talk to you with their tone and words along with body language (body facing towards you etc)

But it can be hard to tell at times.
    Yeah that's what makes it so difficult. I know it's double standards but I wish he would start the conversation :P

Although the one thing I'm afraid of is that if I do start talking to him or whatever that it "takes out the chase for him" and he'd lose interest or whatever

ReputationRep:
    There's a girl that I really like who stares at me and i stare at her. I haven't spoken to her yet because I'm so shy and nervous, this girl is stunning. I think you should speak to whoever on their own because I want that because it's easier than them being with friends. Should I message the girl i like on fb even though we haven't spoken in person?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Wow we're so similar! :P

So what do I do if we're not in the same classes?
    It's not impossible but can be difficult. Strike up a conversation, talk about anything that doesn't seem out of the blue, find out about his interests and see if you have anything in common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laaz123)
    There's a girl that I really like who stares at me and i stare at her. I haven't spoken to her yet because I'm so shy and nervous, this girl is stunning. I think you should speak to whoever on their own because I want that because it's easier than them being with friends. Should I message the girl i like on fb even though we haven't spoken in person?
    m8 you gotta break the ice for real, no point hiding behind Facebook. The next time you catch eyes with her start saying "Hey "

It's not impossible but can be difficult. Strike up a conversation, talk about anything that doesn't seem out of the blue, find out about his interests and see if you have anything in common.
    Yeah I suppose so!

I'm not antisocial or anything but I don't really know what to do in the sense of "my presence" because I feel kind of pressurised (ironically by girls as opposed to guys) to "dress up a bit more" like wear tighter clothes, make up (I don't wear make up) and straighten my hair (I leave it natural) but then I guess you could always argue that "if he doesn't like you at your worst then he doesn't deserve you at you best" but I'm slowly finding myself doubting that quote.. :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he does that! But how do I take it to the next step because it feels like all that's going on is him constantly staring
    make a observation and start a conversation that is not specifically romantic or totally random, so music choice or as some advise about something
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Yeah I suppose so!

I'm not antisocial or anything but I don't really know what to do in the sense of "my presence" because I feel kind of pressurised (ironically by girls as opposed to guys) to "dress up a bit more" like wear tighter clothes, make up (I don't wear make up) and straighten my hair (I leave it natural) but then I guess you could always argue that "if he doesn't like you at your worst then he doesn't deserve you at you best" but I'm slowly finding myself doubting that quote.. :/
    Wear what you want

None of the girls really dressed up at 6th form, including the girl I was with. Wear what you usually do, it's probably fine.

(Original post by jamesthehustler)
    make a observation and start a conversation that is not specifically romantic or totally random, so music choice or as some advise about something
    What signs should I look out for when talking to him?

What signs should I look out for when talking to him?
    Message him on Facebook saying that you want to meet up at lunch or something

ReputationRep:
    Message him on facebook

Wear what you want

None of the girls really dressed up at 6th form, including the girl I was with. Wear what you usually do, it's probably fine.
    But my friends are against the idea of me starting the conversation with him because they said that I'd end up doing the chasing which will stop him from liking me..

ReputationRep:
    If you like him, then just go commando and full-on make out with him, when you two are alone somewhere.

Skip out all the intermediary steps, yknow?

(Original post by Laaz123)
    Message him on facebook
    But I don't even know his name :P

ReputationRep:
    But I don't even know his name :P
    Ahhhh, ask for his name? The girl i like, should I message her? Would you like it if he messaged you?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    But my friends are against the idea of me starting the conversation with him because they said that I'd end up doing the chasing which will stop him from liking me..
    I think that that's true for some guys, but not others. For me that wasn't the case. Sure, she did a bit of work to get me to open up but once we'd started talking I didn't sit around hoping that she'd always do everything for me.

There's really no harm in you being the first one to talk to him. If you want, don't do much after that and see what he does. If you want him to make the moves, just make him feel at ease, smile, give some signs that you like him and he'll figure it out for himself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.