Turn on thread page Beta

Can Corbyn win the 2020 election? watch

• View Poll Results: Can Jeremy Corbyn win the 2020 election?
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You claim that he will gain votes back from UKIP, here we shall just consider significant increases, of course at least a few will probably shift, why would there be these gains?
    Why would he suddenly be getting the politically apathetic voting?
    Why would he win Scottish seats back?
    Why would there be these Tory voters shifting?
    The only one I can safely see him winning from is the Greens, especially if he pushes for electoral reform, I expect losses to the Liberals and the Tories, and I have no idea what to think about where UKIP will be in 5 years, let alone where the votes will be coming from/going to.
    I don't see why anyone who voted Miliband would switch to the tories or liberal democrats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigItch)
    Well this Pole has Corbyn as 44% chance of wining according to users - thats good because Tony Blair only got 43.8% of the vote in 97'
    THe poll you are looking at
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Which poll? Source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Which poll? Source?
    the poll at the top of this thread?

ReputationRep:
    its hard because he is very left and this country isn't that but you never know tbh

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone want that commie hippy in charge? This country would be brought to its knees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But the members make up only something like 1% of their voters, so what you are saying is that because less than 1% of the population voted him in he can clearly win. Given that this is the sort of logic used to argue that the current government lacks legitimacy and doesn't represent the country from some it seems a bit rich.
    You completely missed !y point there. My pointwas he won among members so infiltrators werent the reason he won.

ReputationRep:
    If you think he can you're what's killing labour. Sorry but students don't represent the majority of the voting population so... no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    If you think he can you're what's killing labour. Sorry but students don't represent the majority of the voting population so... no.
    just wondering how is it killing labour when its returning the party to what it originally stood for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    just wondering how is it killing labour when its returning the party to what it originally stood for
    Because he's unelectable and the last thing labour needs is to give the conservatives another few years in power.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** would anyone want to vote for this clown in GE2020?

-Printing money simply raises prices!
    -Nationalising railways and companies makes them less-efficient (as there's no competition). Just look at the complacency of local Government
    -Tax the rich..... and watch them disappear
    -Tax businesses........ and watch them hire less
    -Immigration...... need I even elaborate?!

Yeah, real smart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    Why dangerous?
    Why is it dangerous to appease terrorists?

-He wants to give Falklands to Argentina
    -He loves Islamic terrorists
    -He is friends with Gerry Adams

He wants to get rid of trident. Putin must be laughing his backside off.

Could the man be any more anti-British?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Docjones1)
    Because he's unelectable and the last thing labour needs is to give the conservatives another few years in power.
    tbh labour is more electable now than it has been in the last few years, last election they lost a lot of voters who were bored with labour trying to appease the right, traditional labour supporters will actually vote labour now - also after 5 more years of tory government im thinking a lot more people will be leaning towards the left

i think labour returning to its original principles is a lot better (no matter how electable they seem) than them selling out to appease the right

ReputationRep:
    Depends if the sheeple enjoy being enslaved by the elites.

I am behind Jeremy 100%. Greatest politician the UK has ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    This poll is not your personal view and if you would vote for Corbyn in 2020 but do you think he can win the election in 2020, will he be able to appeal to enough people of mainstream middle ground voters to get a majority particularly can he win the Tory marginals in England & Wales and can he win alot of the Scottish seats back from the SNP?
    I doubt it but let's see the policies he pushes first this is all very premature

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    Hopefully the shadow cabinet will be as broad as he promises!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    -He wants to give Falklands to Argentina
    He wants to get rid of trident.
    I am probably showing a complete lack of knowledge, but why can't the Falklands return to Argentina? Is that not what the residents want, and would it hurt our economy? (genuinely asking)

and I thought getting rid of Trident in favour of different defences was not a bad move, and would lead to a safer world- why do you feel this is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    I hope he does. Wouldn't mind erasing my SFE debts.
    If you are worried about student finance 'debt' then you do not fully understand what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Why the **** would anyone want to vote for this clown in GE2020?

-Printing money simply raises prices!
    -Nationalising railways and companies makes them less-efficient (as there's no competition). Just look at the complacency of local Government
    -Tax the rich..... and watch them disappear
    -Tax businesses........ and watch them hire less
    -Immigration...... need I even elaborate?!

Yeah, real smart!
    1.) this government has been printing money for th last 5 years- they've been printing it and giving it to the banks - Corbyn wants to print it and give it to industries - not exactly a huge difference? Why are the Tories allowed to print money?

2.) you say nationalisation reduces efficiency- our nationalised health service is one of the most efficient and highly rated in the world. Also privatisation often does not mean increased conception as monopolies are formed- the big 6 energy companies have their own local monopolies - how much conception is there for public transport or our railways? And not to mention the soaring rail prices. The taxpayer donates hugely to private rail companies yet they get
    All the profits and we get ridiculously expensive fares.

3.) they won't
    4.) he wants to raise taxes on businesses by 0.5%- do you really think they'll leave over such a small increase?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    This poll is not your personal view and if you would vote for Corbyn in 2020 but do you think he can win the election in 2020, will he be able to appeal to enough people of mainstream middle ground voters to get a majority particularly can he win the Tory marginals in England & Wales and can he win alot of the Scottish seats back from the SNP?
    I hope he wins, I'm ready for change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    1.) this government has been printing money for th last 5 years- they've been printing it and giving it to the banks - Corbyn wants to print it and give it to industries - not exactly a huge difference? Why are the Tories allowed to print money?
    The Tories do it to gain votes, Corbyn does it because he actually thinks its a smart idea. I'm against anybody doing QE.

2.) you say nationalisation reduces efficiency- our nationalised health service is one of the most efficient and highly rated in the world.
    Are you taking the piss? The NHS is not efficient. It can never be efficient because it has no competition. Whether somebody gets treated or not, it doesn't matter because the NHS will not disappear. If a private company becomes inefficient it will cease to exist.

Also privatisation often does not mean increased conception as monopolies are formed- the big 6 energy companies have their own local monopolies - how much conception is there for public transport or our railways? And not to mention the soaring rail prices. The taxpayer donates hugely to private rail companies yet they get
    All the profits and we get ridiculously expensive fares.
    I would like to see railways have a system where multiple companies can run services.

3.) they won't
    They won't be paying more tax, so if they stay it'll be due to their accountants.

4.) he wants to raise taxes on businesses by 0.5%- do you really think they'll leave over such a small increase?
    You think this raving left looney is only going to increase tax on businesses by 5%?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.