Turn on thread page Beta

Girls, would you feel aggrieved if guys didn't offer to pay on the first date? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Girls would you be aggrieved if guys didn't offer to pay on the first date?
    Yes
    13.41%
    No
    40.24%
    I'm a guy
    46.34%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz94)
    I get very cross when it's in a big group and everyone works out exactly what they ate/drank. Just split it evenly!
    God no. I'd rather spend 5 minutes at the end working out what I owe rather than subsidising someone else who ordered the Ribeye and several large glasses of wine.

ReputationRep:
    It's think it's nice when a guy offers. But I've dated guys who've insisted on paying and I feel guilty then even if I offered.

Now I pay for what I order.

ReputationRep:
    Offer to pay for the first one and tell them they can pay for the second date.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I would just expect to go halves. If he wants to be a gent though and pay for it all, I would be very flattered. But it's not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Offer to pay for the first one and tell them they can pay for the second date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Smoooooth

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel uncomfortable with someone trying to pay for me, I'm happy for my boyfriend to treat me occasionally now we've been together a while and are comfortable with each other because I'll also treat him, but I wouldn't want someone I barely know/aren't serious about yet to be paying for things for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Smoooooth
    Worked for me anyway and 4.5 years later she's my fiancée.

Nowadays we usually split everything but as i earn double what she does I offer to treat her sometimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    First date the guy should pay. Second date, go halves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been dating someone for a fair few months now and so far I can only count two occasions where I've offered to pay and she's said nothing.

Most of the time it's "how much was mine" and I have to fight her over the bill haha. I guess some people just don't like you paying for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz94)
    It all depends!

'Let's grab food' is very different to 'I'd love to take you out tonight'

Also, no matter what. If you make me pay 'my share' I will slay you. Halvsies. Always. I get very cross when it's in a big group and everyone works out exactly what they ate/drank. Just split it evenly!
    In that case Liz, when we eat in a group, I'm going to take the largest lobster plus some caviare and we'll split the bill evenly, alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drummergirI)
    If he asks you out, he should pay! But by the same merit, heading out for food together is very different to a first date and should definitely be clarified prior to any preconceptions being made
    As we have a social model where men generally ask out women, that's still upholding the patriachal system. Of course, that's fine if you want that sort of relationship, many guys also want to pay.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I never really went on a first date. I'm pretty sure it was to a panini place where we each bought our own food. Normally I think it was like you buy tickets I'll buy popcorn type thing. As I went out with my boyfriend longer it's usually a turn about. Also for a long while I had more money so paid for more things.

ReputationRep:
    If the guy had asked me out on a date and didn't at least offer to pay, I'd probably not go on a second date. I wouldn't necessarily let him pay, but it's just good manners to offer if you're the one taking someone else. My boyfriend will generally always pay for my food when we go out, sometimes to the point of me actually getting slightly annoyed because i end up feeling bad... He's just a bit old fashioned i guess.

ReputationRep:
    No. I think I'd rather go halves/pay my share anyway. Though it is a nice gesture if a guy did offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    To be honest the "dates" I've been to, I've always said that we'll pay half and half as it is fair.
    well.. let me introduce myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liz94)
    It all depends!

'Let's grab food' is very different to 'I'd love to take you out tonight'

Also, no matter what. If you make me pay 'my share' I will slay you. Halvsies. Always. I get very cross when it's in a big group and everyone works out exactly what they ate/drank. Just split it evenly!
    Not everyone is made of money. Or wants to pay for other people's food...

ReputationRep:
    I'd only pay for my share, I pay for no one unless I want to.

ReputationRep:
    Now run the same poll anonymously.

(Original post by Multitalented me)
    Say a guy asks you out on a date but when it came to paying the bills he wanted you to pay your share as well? Would that be ok with you? I'm just curious to know as if it makes a girl like you more then I'd be happy to pay for all of it, however I actually feel that "going dutch" is the fairest way personally.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind paying for myself.... I would always carry money with me and go to somewhere I could afford. If he offers , it's nice. If he doesn't offer, then I don't mind, however, I would question if he enjoyed his time. If he didn't offer to pay, I'd take it as a hint that he didn't have a good time and didn't want to see me again.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer going dutch on dates. Funnily enough all of the guys I've been on dates with have always insisted on paying for both of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.