The Student Room Group

Why do feminists say 'teach men not to rape'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kyou
Because most feminists believe every male has an instinctive desire to rape.
Funny how in most female rape cases the sentence is not nearly as long.

Most feminists believe that do they?

Back this ridiculous statement up, sweetheart.
Reply 41
Once again feminists showing their anti male mentality.
Original post by SophieSmall
Believe it or not, most rapists aren't evil psychopaths that everyone paints them to be purely because it's an easier concept to deal with. It's not that black and white. Most of them are just normal people who did a horrible thing, many feel remorse and guilt.

Somewhere is their lives they went the wrong way, their morals became skewed ect. There are many factors that can lead someone to rape.

It's important for us as a society to not only understand how this happens, but also to help prevent this.

Edit: for the easily emotionally charged and those who overreact. No, I'm not saying that rapists aren't accountable for their own actions. Stop jumping to conclusions.

Whilst I agree that they aren't all psychopaths, I completely disagree with you in that they are "normal".

Their sheer act of rape makes them abnormal, in society. The underlying mechanisms that caused them to rape, is not normal either. That's why they did it.

Now I'm not saying that they are psychopaths. But I'm saying that there is something different in them, that caused them to commit this crime. I agree with the above poster, in that a lot of them have had dark pasts, or have some unresolved issue.
You can lie to yourself all you want but the truth is, if we teach boys from a young age to respect girls properly ect. then they'll grow up knowing right from wrong and it would reduce the amount of rapes as they get older.
Teaching women not to dress slutty etc. is ridiculous because then you're implying it's their fault and they're "asking for it"!? Women shouldn't have to avoid it to that extent when nothing is being done to prevent it from happening in the first place. (They probably shouldn't walk alone at night though)
Original post by slade p
Once again feminists showing their anti male mentality.

Why are referring to feminists as one mass being? All sharing the same opinion??
Reply 45
You can teach boys about inappropriate behaviour which is likely to lead to issues. This is the approach they are taking with premier league footballers who's salary far exceeds their maturity and morality.
Reply 46
Original post by Twinpeaks
Why are referring to feminists as one mass being? All sharing the same opinion??

Because this is from mainstream feminism, it's not a fringe.
Original post by Saint-Saens
pretty sexist to me

so if I jam my fist in there instead it isn't rape?

Not really sexist. Males are still victims of male rape.

Did you misread the part where the poster stated that sexual assault have the same sentencing guidelines? So "jamming your first in there" as you rather concerningly (!!) put, would still get you in deep ****.

You have some rethinking to do, Saint.
Original post by slade p
Because this is from mainstream feminism, it's not a fringe.

Is it?

So if you sent a survey out, (bearing in mind the amount of individuals on TSR who identify as feminists) asking people

A. Do they identify as a feminist

B. Do they agree that all men should be taught not rape

That everyone who answered yes to A., would also answer yes to B?

What you're doing, is what weak minded individuals do about other social groups in our world, such as Muslims. Using extreme statements made by more radical members of a group, to justify the hatred of every member of the group, or the group as a whole.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by elizah
1 out of 181 rape accusations are false. 20% of all women will be raped in their lifetime. Stop derailing the discussion about rape to things that are completely irrelevant.

If 20% of women will be raped over their reproductive life that is one in 150 women raped per year, your statistic is hardly more impressive.

Plus I am pretty sure that 20% statistic is calculated on questionnaires that ask about any unsolicited sexual contact, including groping, kissing or I wouldn't be surprised if they are even worded in such a way as to encourage women to cite verbal harassment. Of course this is labelled "rape" in the subsequent analysis and in the media in the fine feminist tradition of statistical rigour and caution.
Reply 50
Original post by Twinpeaks
Is it?

So if you sent a survey out, (bearing in mind the amount of individuals on TSR who identify as feminists) asking people

A. Do they identify as a feminist

B. Do they agree that all men should be taught not rape

That everyone who answered yes to A., would also answer yes to B?

What you're doing, is what weak minded individuals do about other social groups in our world, such as Muslims. Using extreme statements made by more radical members of a group, to justify the hatred of every member of the group, or the group as a whole.

Well you carry on trying to convince people that this is just by a minority of radical feminists. This is just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much other things that can be pointed out with regard to their views, narratives and accusations.
Honestly. we should do both.
Original post by rainbowtwist
You can lie to yourself all you want but the truth is, if we teach boys from a young age to respect girls properly ect. then they'll grow up knowing right from wrong and it would reduce the amount of rapes as they get older.
Teaching women not to dress slutty etc. is ridiculous because then you're implying it's their fault and they're "asking for it"!? Women shouldn't have to avoid it to that extent when nothing is being done to prevent it from happening in the first place. (They probably shouldn't walk alone at night though)

Boys know not to rape, we know rape is bad and we have it drummed into us that we are disgusting perverts by nature and girls don't want to be anywhere near us.

Rape is and always has been considered the second most heinous crime it is possible to commit against the person after murder. Even then half the time there is more sympathy for for example women raped by militiamen in the Congo than their husbands who got a bayonet in the neck.

Consent education has a place but it neex be no more or less controversial, nor delivered otherwise than, general sex education. In fact I am more than a little sure that we had such consent education as part of sex ed - not that anyone with half a brain and a sliver of integrity couldn't have worked it out for themselves
Original post by elizah
I don't think you understood what I wrote.
The majority of rapists do not have mental illnesses, but that does not make them normal people. People do not wake up one day and commit sexual assault. In most cases, rape is the result of early childhood environment (such as being raped or assaulted themselves). Research indicates that a lot of rapists are angry at women and feel the need to dominate and control them. None of this, and I repeat none of this makes them normal people who simply make a few mistakes. When you say that, you are at the very least trivializing rapists which does not solve or help the issue, because they're not "normal people". They are people with mental health issues.

Why are you talking about mental health problems? The post you replied to doesn't mention mental illness. What you are doing is actually what you're arguing against - someone who has a mental illness that caused them to commit a crime is not legally responsible for that crime. Whilst also suggesting that people with mental health problems are dangerous.

Many rapes happen because people don't understand what isn't consent. There's a lack of understand that saying 'yes' due to coercion or pressure isn't consent. People don't seem to understand that a lack of a 'no' doesn't mean a 'yes'. People think that having had sex with someone before means that you have consent to have sex with them again. People believe that if they pay for someone's dinner they 'deserve sex'. That sex is something they've 'earned' after a certain length of relationship. That is the person they're in a relationship with doesn't want sex for whatever reason that that person is 'withholding' or 'denying them' sex.
Surely its a strongly masculinist position to believe that the vast majority of men are essentially good people who would rather not be rapists but have been denied access to the right information or to positive social norms and behaviours? I don't see how feminism comes into this.
I think when they say teach men not to rape they don't mean tell them forced sex is wrong. Men know that.

What needs teaching is lessons on consent and how it can vary, and be given and taken away, and how if a person is so drunk they can barely stand up then they are not capable of consenting to sex.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Many rapes happen because people don't understand what isn't consent. There's a lack of understand that saying 'yes' due to coercion or pressure isn't consent. People don't seem to understand that a lack of a 'no' doesn't mean a 'yes'. People think that having had sex with someone before means that you have consent to have sex with them again. People believe that if they pay for someone's dinner they 'deserve sex'. That sex is something they've 'earned' after a certain length of relationship. That is the person they're in a relationship with doesn't want sex for whatever reason that that person is 'withholding' or 'denying them' sex.

^
Original post by Motorbiker
I think when they say teach men not to rape they don't mean tell them forced sex is wrong. Men know that.

What needs teaching is lessons on consent and how it can vary, and be given and taken away, and how if a person is so drunk they can barely stand up then they are not capable of consenting to sex.

^

It's not even that complicated, but TSR gonna TSR.
Original post by SmashConcept
^

^

It's not even that complicated, but TSR gonna TSR.

True and smalltowngirl explained it better than me as well.
Original post by SophieSmall
Well done for turning it into an emotionally charged argument instead of a logical debate. I'm in no way saying they are not responsible for their own actions. Because they clearly are. But it's silly to put your fingers in your ears and yell blah blah blah i'm not listening just because you don't want to know how and why they end up as rapists. It's attitudes like that which prevent progress, which in turn does not help prevent rape.

you honestly think telling a potential rapist 'not to rape' is going to actually have any effect? thats very naive.
Original post by slade p
Well you carry on trying to convince people that this is just by a minority of radical feminists. This is just the tip of the iceberg, there is so much other things that can be pointed out with regard to their views, narratives and accusations.

Yes, there is so much more to your mentality. You are easy pray for prejudice thoughts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending