Turn on thread page Beta

Can you explain how discriminating ANYONE on ANY grounds, is ANY different to racism? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    If 'how they are' is eating too much and not exercising enough then ye that is how they are and they need to change their bad habits.
    That is pure assumption, they may have a low metabolism. Two people can consume the same amount of food and one puts on weight more easily than the other. Yes, there are people that do eat too much, but, that may be down to something psychological, again not there fault consciously.

And what about if it was the over way around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHM713)
    That is pure assumption, they may have a low metabolism. Two people can consume the same amount of weight and one puts on weight more easily than the other. Yes, there are people that do eat too much, but, that may be down to something psychological, again not there fault consciously.

that person you think eats loads and doesn't put on any weight doesn't eat as much as you think they do and aren't as inactive as you think they are lol.

ReputationRep:
    that person you think eats loads and doesn't put on any weight doesn't eat as much as you think they do and aren't as inactive as you think they are lol.
    I can tell you from personal experience that isn't true, I really is down to genes.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you from personal experience that isn't true, I really is down to genes.
    you increase your metabolic rate by being more active and increasing your overall muscle mass.

ReputationRep:
    you increase your metabolic rate by being more active and increasing your overall muscle mass.
    That is not my personal experience, I eat more or less anything except meat (but it was still the case before) and don't put that much weight on and I know people that have specific diets and go to the gym regularly and are still bigger than me.

ReputationRep:
    That is not my personal experience, I eat more or less anything except meat (but it was still the case before) and don't put that much weight on and I know people that have specific diets and go to the gym regularly and are still bigger than me.
    They probably just eat more or waste their time in the gym doing ineffective workouts. It's the calories that are important not what you eat.

ReputationRep:
    They probably just eat more or waste their time in the gym doing ineffective workouts. It's the calories that are important not what you eat.
    Now you just have to make up hypothetical scenarios, to justify your assumptions. No body chooses to be fat, in a world where being fat isn't seen a good thing or anything else that is concerned negative. If people would stop allowing themselves to be so ignorant, we would probably start seeing some real progress.

ReputationRep:
    Now you just have to make up hypothetical scenarios, to justify your assumptions. No body chooses to be fat, in a world where being fat isn't seen a good thing or anything else that is concerned negative. If people would stop allowing themselves to be so ignorant, we would probably start seeing some real progress.
    its not hypothetical it's just science lol. You're the one whos making up hypothetical theories. Your body is a machine that stores excess energy as fat to be used as a later date. If you're putting more energy into your body than it needs then it gets stored as fat and if you continue to put energy in at the same rate you will just get fatter and fatter. We're actually going backwards in progress because people like you spread misinformation. Especially in america with the 'health at every size' campaigns that are starting to seep into the UK.

ReputationRep:
    That is pure assumption, they may have a low metabolism. Two people can consume the same amount of weight and one puts on weight more easily than the other. Yes, there are people that do eat too much, but, that may be down to something psychological, again not there fault consciously.

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweigh...etabolism.aspx

ReputationRep:
    its not hypothetical it's just science lol. You're the one whos making up hypothetical theories. Your body is a machine that stores excess energy as fat to be used as a later date. If you're putting more energy into your body than it needs then it gets stored as fat and if you continue to put energy in at the same rate you will just get fatter and fatter. We're actually going backwards in progress because people like you spread misinformation. Especially in america with the 'health at every size' campaigns that are starting to seep into the UK.
    Science is assumption, it's the 'best' possible theory, with measurement added in. No, I'm stating fact, that is me experience, I can eat quite big portions and I rarely exercise. That is fact. Your going on about the process/theory not the reality.

I am not spreading misinformation, peoples' weight doesn't really interest and I don't talk about this subject very often. In America it's more to do with psychological problems, once that is sorted out, they will lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link, but, I don't need it. I prefer personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link, but, I don't need it. I prefer personal experience.
    You prefer lying to yourself over scientific proven evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    You prefer lying to yourself over scientific proven evidence?
    I'm not lying to myself, I'm just not stupid enough to need someone else to tell me something I am capable of understanding myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not lying to myself, I'm just not stupid enough to need someone else to tell me something I am capable of understand myself.
    Clearly not, because your understanding of the subject is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not, because your understanding of the subject is wrong.
    Then enlighten me.

This is about being fat, and having someone dislike you because of it, and they justify their dislike, by saying it's a choice. I don't think it is, I mean why would you choose to be?

Discriminating anyone, on any ground is the same.

ReputationRep:
    Then enlighten me.

This is about being fat, and having someone dislike you because of it, and they justify their dislike, by saying it's a choice. I don't think it is, I mean why would you choose to be?

Discriminating anyone, on any ground is the same.
    You don't choose to be fat, however you choose not to do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't choose to be fat, however you choose not to do anything about it.
    You can dissect this until the sun explodes, but, as long as you (EVERYONE) discriminate (the prejudicial kind) it is like racism.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what others think.

.....I don't write much to keep it as open as possible.

Edit: Racism - in it's most basic terms, is hating someone for something they haven't consciously done.
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    When you say "on ANY grounds" do you mean things which are out of their control like gender, disability or where they were born?
    Absolutely.
    Oh, I get it now.

When did anyone say it wasn't?
    It seems to be the legitimacy of gay rights came from piggybacking off black civil rights protests/activism. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Now you just have to make up hypothetical scenarios, to justify your assumptions. No body chooses to be fat,
    ERRT!!! Stopping you right there :talkhand:

You chose to be fat the minute you ate that ice cream at 11 pm and didn't exercise all day.

:hand:

ReputationRep:
    As someone who fluctuates between 9 and 10 stone, I basically struggle with weight. I started exercising at 7 and when I was 11 shed all my baby fat and developed a brawny physique for my sex and age and always got noticed for it; however, I am "naturally" overweight, technically speaking, because I've never been underweight. So it's been a struggle to make sure I don't cross that obese (being 25 lbs or more overweight based on height and age and sex) line.

And everytime I lose weight it's because I take responsibility for what I ate, when I ate it, how much of it I ate, and whether I did anything to burn the calories or nah. That being said, unless you have that thyroid gland thing you technically chose to be fat. Of course no one sat around and clicked a button that said, "make me fat." But your actions or lack thereof made you fat.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.