The Student Room Group

Get really stressed, anxious and ill at just the thought of university work, help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm glad it's not just me! Hmm that's an interesting idea, I will try it! I think part of me has just lost interest in doing lots of assignments, I wish I could just sit in a lecture and enjoy it and enjoy time outside of it rather than having to constantly work throughout the year, I mean even during the Christmas vacation I only get about 2 weeks without university work.

I'm trying to keep up some of my relaxation exercises again, I seriously feel like I've developed an inability to finish things/keep them up

Yeah it seems like medication would be a fast acting solution but it would not change the way I think. I think that if I can work out what causes all my different anxieties it might reduce them a bit and if not, hopefully I can work out a way to reduce it in everyday life. I've recently started a vitamin that can apparently help, at first I felt like I felt partly better but I'm not 100% sure, I guess it needs time :smile:

Yeahh, well I think with the use of mindfulness you can do that. In those moments that you aren't working, instead of thinking 'I should be doing some reading right now' look around and take in your senses. What can you feel, hear, taste, smell, see? Try to ground yourself in your body and realise that you are safe and don't have to think about anything. It takes practice as your brain will try to encourage you to panic but its a good way of doing it.

That's true, however I feel like without medication I wouldn't be very well right now.. I think it depends on the cause of your illness (which is all a bit vague) but I feel like my brain chemicals are definitely messed up so no amount of counselling will fix that.. but if might be different for you :smile:. However, I do wonder if it would be worth looking into anti depressants just for this last year at uni, so that you can get through it easier?
I must say though, it can be hard finding the right anti depressant. Infact I tried two different ones which both made me feel worse before I got the right one. There are pros and cons.. but once you do find the right one it feels like someone is holding your brain together in a warm hug haha so that your thoughts slow down and the panic is lessened
Original post by Hevachan
Yeahh, well I think with the use of mindfulness you can do that. In those moments that you aren't working, instead of thinking 'I should be doing some reading right now' look around and take in your senses. What can you feel, hear, taste, smell, see? Try to ground yourself in your body and realise that you are safe and don't have to think about anything. It takes practice as your brain will try to encourage you to panic but its a good way of doing it.

That's true, however I feel like without medication I wouldn't be very well right now.. I think it depends on the cause of your illness (which is all a bit vague) but I feel like my brain chemicals are definitely messed up so no amount of counselling will fix that.. but if might be different for you :smile:. However, I do wonder if it would be worth looking into anti depressants just for this last year at uni, so that you can get through it easier?
I must say though, it can be hard finding the right anti depressant. Infact I tried two different ones which both made me feel worse before I got the right one. There are pros and cons.. but once you do find the right one it feels like someone is holding your brain together in a warm hug haha so that your thoughts slow down and the panic is lessened

Thanks, that would definitely help when I'm thinking I should be doing something :smile:

Yeah it definitely depends on the person. I think with me, it started off because of a few issues but then generalised or associated with everything else and then it got so bad that now it is just my natural response, it's ingrained in me and just happens half the time without much panic. It is annoying that it makes me feel ill too, for example, I'm going driving today and I feel really sick and I can't really focus on relaxing but I know that everything is very likely to be fine and this worry is irrational but I'm thinking even if it is fine will it be fine when I don't have anyone in the car as I'm thinking what if I did have a panic attack while driving but I'm now trying to ignore that voice, it is still there making me feel tense and ill though!

I'm really trying to avoid antidepressants if I can, even if I did go on them just for university and I found one that worked, I think it would be extremely difficult to come back off of them afterwards, the problem would still be there. Like even over the summer I've still felt anxious etc. I'm just going to try everything without medication that I can, I know that CBT can help and I'm hopefully going to have some more of that. I'm going to try to do some relaxation and breathing exercises more and I'm thinking of making myself exercise.
Thanks, that would definitely help when I'm thinking I should be doing something :smile:

Yeah it definitely depends on the person. I think with me, it started off because of a few issues but then generalised or associated with everything else and then it got so bad that now it is just my natural response, it's ingrained in me and just happens half the time without much panic. It is annoying that it makes me feel ill too, for example, I'm going driving today and I feel really sick and I can't really focus on relaxing but I know that everything is very likely to be fine and this worry is irrational but I'm thinking even if it is fine will it be fine when I don't have anyone in the car as I'm thinking what if I did have a panic attack while driving but I'm now trying to ignore that voice, it is still there making me feel tense and ill though!

I'm really trying to avoid antidepressants if I can, even if I did go on them just for university and I found one that worked, I think it would be extremely difficult to come back off of them afterwards, the problem would still be there. Like even over the summer I've still felt anxious etc. I'm just going to try everything without medication that I can, I know that CBT can help and I'm hopefully going to have some more of that. I'm going to try to do some relaxation and breathing exercises more and I'm thinking of making myself exercise.

Yeahh it becomes a vicious loop. My counsellor always used to tell me to acknowledge the anxiety and just 'be with it' without trying to make it better or change it. I know that sounds confusing and tbh I struggle to do it but it can help you relax..

Actually one thing I like to use (infact i am addicted and cant sleep without it haha) is http://www.llandudno-emporium.com/collections/natural-remedy-oils-and-rubs/products/calming-100ml-bottle-for-nerves-and-anxiety
It contains neuroli oil which is a natural relaxant :smile: I find it makes me quite sleepy haha but you can rub it on your neck, wrists or bottoms of your feet! Whenever I'm particularly nervous I use it :smile:

Another thing is https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome which is an online CBT course... its probably alot of what you have already done but its useful to keep going over it :smile:
Yeahh it becomes a vicious loop. My counsellor always used to tell me to acknowledge the anxiety and just 'be with it' without trying to make it better or change it. I know that sounds confusing and tbh I struggle to do it but it can help you relax..

Actually one thing I like to use (infact i am addicted and cant sleep without it haha) is http://www.llandudno-emporium.com/collections/natural-remedy-oils-and-rubs/products/calming-100ml-bottle-for-nerves-and-anxiety
It contains neuroli oil which is a natural relaxant :smile: I find it makes me quite sleepy haha but you can rub it on your neck, wrists or bottoms of your feet! Whenever I'm particularly nervous I use it :smile:

Another thing is https://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome which is an online CBT course... its probably alot of what you have already done but its useful to keep going over it :smile:

I don't understand that exactly?

Thank you, I'll see if I can get some sometime if I need it, I haven't been sleeping very well lately but I'm hoping that all the work will help! I usually feel most tense in my chest though.

Thank you, I'll check it out if I need to :smile:

I hate that once I get over one big worry, another one soon comes and it just constantly bugs me until I've been where I was worried about or I just have to let it go but I don't completely
I don't understand that exactly?

Thank you, I'll see if I can get some sometime if I need it, I haven't been sleeping very well lately but I'm hoping that all the work will help! I usually feel most tense in my chest though.

Thank you, I'll check it out if I need to :smile:

I hate that once I get over one big worry, another one soon comes and it just constantly bugs me until I've been where I was worried about or I just have to let it go but I don't completely

No I'm not sure I get it either haha :') but I still try and 'be' with my emotions without judgement

Its really good :smile: the roller one is cheaper.. I know students don't have £10 lying around but it's really great :smile: if you're ever in llandudno the shop is on the pier

Yeah I know that feeling :/ but it's all about reactions.. practising putting things into perspective.. will this matter to me in a years time? What would I advise a friend with the same problem? Or my personal favorite, what's the worst that could happen? :smile:
No I'm not sure I get it either haha :') but I still try and 'be' with my emotions without judgement

Its really good :smile: the roller one is cheaper.. I know students don't have £10 lying around but it's really great :smile: if you're ever in llandudno the shop is on the pier

Yeah I know that feeling :/ but it's all about reactions.. practising putting things into perspective.. will this matter to me in a years time? What would I advise a friend with the same problem? Or my personal favorite, what's the worst that could happen? :smile:

I'm going to pm you my reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest