Turn on thread page Beta

last minute transfer to london university to be with my boyfriend? bad decision? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Can't I just do a masters at a good uni like is it really that big of a deal
    Again please bookmark this page and come back when you are 25 as it seems you are quite set on flushing the RG down the toilet so you can be next to your boyfriend.

Of course it is big deal. Yes realistically with a psychology undergraduate degree from a non RG group you will have less doors open to you in terms of employment and postgrad opportunities. A post grad doesn't nullify an under grad that's not the point of them. Plus entry to RG masters are not as competitive for entry as RG undergrad as they are bought with money not earned with grades so the true mark of distinction for many employers starts with undergrad.

(Original post by Maker)
    There are RG unis in and around London.
    Yeah but I didn't apply to them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xlxl23)
    If you are transferring because your boyfriend then that's the wrong decision.
    If it's because you personally want to go to the uni, then that's good decision.
    This nails it, afaic.

(Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice)
    This nails it, afaic.
    I want to move because I like the city

(Original post by Xlxl23)
    If you are transferring because your boyfriend then that's the wrong decision.
    If it's because you personally want to go to the uni, then that's good decision.
    I want to move because I like the city

(Original post by jazjaz)
    Again please bookmark this page and come back when you are 25 as it seems you are quite set on flushing the RG down the toilet so you can be next to your boyfriend.

Of course it is big deal. Yes realistically with a psychology undergraduate degree from a non RG group you will have less doors open to you in terms of employment and postgrad opportunities. A post grad doesn't nullify an under grad that's not the point of them. Plus entry to RG masters are not as competitive for entry as RG undergrad as they are bought with money not earned with grades so the true mark of distinction for many employers starts with undergrad.
    If I do well at a lesser uni and work hard, then go study post-grad at a RG can also get me a good job right? Or wrong?

ReputationRep:
    "Last minute transfer"

That says it all right there, you clearly haven't thought this through, and, just like most people have mentioned here, you might live to regret it.

(Original post by VotreAltesse)
    "Last minute transfer"

That says it all right there, you clearly haven't thought this through, and, just like most people have mentioned here, you might live to regret it.
    Right now I'm struggling between

1) Committing myself for THREEEE years to an amazing uni, which is very hard with modules I don't find interesting or enjoy and in a shxt city
    2) Continuing at an OK, non-RG uni with modules I very much enjoy for one year and finish my last year at another equally decent uni in London, a city I very much enjoy. If I can't move, I'll continue just two years here and do my further study in London... with my boyfriend

I just am not sure what effect this will have on my job prospects etc at least the lesser uni's do placement

ReputationRep:

1) Committing myself for THREEEE years to an amazing uni, which is very hard with modules I don't find interesting or enjoy and in a shxt city
    2) Continuing at an OK, non-RG uni with modules I very much enjoy for one year and finish my last year at another equally decent uni in London, a city I very much enjoy. If I can't move, I'll continue just two years here and do my further study in London... with my boyfriend

I just am not sure what effect this will have on my job prospects etc at least the lesser uni's do placement
    Many people in this thread have explained the effect it would have on your job prospects and it seems like you are just glancing over them because you already know what you WANT to do
    Psychology is a degree with much competition and no kinda set job section/position at the end of it (eg. medicine and becoming a doctor or nursing and becoming a nurse) so a RG university would kinda set you apart because you've got into one with harder modules, you may grow to love the city and truly enjoy it, which you will never know
    I don't suggest making last minute decisions because you haven't thoroughly thought this through and you may not have had time to experience city life in those said places...but i don't suggest that you change something that is very serious such as university choices for something that may be temporary like your relationship (i don't wish that upon your relationship but just trying to paint a picture here) - all the best with your decision

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to those saying that Psychology will end you with a lesser paying job :lol:

My mum studied psychology and is making six figures.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend want's me to go to the russel group, he isn't keen on me moving to another lesser uni or staying at my current and thinks it is wisest for me to go to the russel group one... he has no idea that I'm even thinking this rn he thought i made my choice to go to the russel group a loooooong time ago lol

wow really?! wow i think i will defy just go to newcastle then... it's amazing that i even got in and means i never wasted my private school ed... thank u for that example it was a real eye opener
    "My boyfriend wants me to go to a Russell group"?????.Are you living for your boyfriend?.
    This is your future ,this guy can leave you at the drop of a gay if he wanted to.
    I would advise you to think what *YOU* want to get out of university & your carer after you graduate.Its your life,your debt & if you let somebody else make decisions for you I can't imagine the regret in 5/10 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by NellyMelly)
    "My boyfriend wants me to go to a Russell group"?????.Are you living for your boyfriend?.
    This is your future ,this guy can leave you at the drop of a gay if he wanted to.
    I would advise you to think what *YOU* want to get out of university & your carer after you graduate.Its your life,your debt & if you let somebody else make decisions for you I can't imagine the regret in 5/10 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im saying he want me to go for the russell group, obviously because he feels it's best decision for my life (it would mean i stay in my city, and not london where he lives)... so idk what you're complaining about when he's being totally selfless in the advice he gives me

ReputationRep:
    If I do well at a lesser uni and work hard, then go study post-grad at a RG can also get me a good job right? Or wrong?
    And what if your boyfriend moves somewhere else or you don't get into a masters at a good uni? It's not a given that you will secure a place at one later and again psychology masters are quite competitive as it is one of the most commonly taken degrees. But it's up to you hun I wish you luck and hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    There's no point moving universities for your boyfriend. Your education will matter more in the long run than a love that might not last.

ReputationRep:
    Im saying he want me to go for the russell group, obviously because he feels it's best decision for my life (it would mean i stay in my city, and not london where he lives)... so idk what you're complaining about when he's being totally selfless in the advice he gives me
    What I'm saying is think for yourself & don't let your boyfriend think for you.You said "he feels it's the best decision for my life".Thats something a parent would say .Know what I mean.RG or not (I don't study psychology ,don't know anything but the field but I do know it's a competitive degree) my point is ,YOU know what's best for you & make decisions in your best interests not your boyfriends interests.Dont want you later in life to think "Oh I can believe I let *so and so* talk me into this".
    Hope I've cleared myself!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Irrespective of how great the uni is overall, if you don't like the modules on your particular course, you're not going to enjoy it - so it would be idiocy for you to choose to go there. Choose somewhere where you think you'll enjoy studying and can afford to continue doing so, and make the other factors lower priority considerations. Ignore or apply that advice as you see fit.

(Original post by jazjaz)
    And what if your boyfriend moves somewhere else or you don't get into a masters at a good uni? It's not a given that you will secure a place at one later and again psychology masters are quite competitive as it is one of the most commonly taken degrees. But it's up to you hun I wish you luck and hope it works out.
    He's not.... he's trying to be very unbiased.... I'm just giving my take on what he's saying, he's been telling me its a good uni, i can't put myself in ur shoes, i don't know what u feel etc etc but when i would talk about the RG he's very supportive

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE go to the RG uni.

(Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice)
    Irrespective of how great the uni is overall, if you don't like the modules on your particular course, you're not going to enjoy it - so it would be idiocy for you to choose to go there. Choose somewhere where you think you'll enjoy studying and can afford to continue doing so, and make the other factors lower priority considerations. Ignore or apply that advice as you see fit.
    I love my second year modules at my current uni, I could just stay there till third year and transfer... Brunels are just the generic modules I've already studied in first year, Newcastle's modules in first and second are also generic boring modules lol

ReputationRep:
    I was planning on transferring from my current uni (50's in league tables - it's a crap uni socially omg i hate it) to a russel group which is in top 20 in league tables. (I study psychology).

But after I made a London uni my insurance and this russel group my firm, I met my boyfriend again after a long time since we both went on holiday and I finally got to see him a couple days ago and now I am really regretting throwing away the chance to be with him in his city for two years...

I have many friends there and i know the city very well, but the uni i got accepted in started TODAY and aren't taking any calls until Wednesday... I called UCAS and they said I need to call them up. So I'm not sure if they would take me or not... they should still have places, but another problem is accommodation...

Is this a stupid decision? The russel group want me to start from first year and that's a waste of a year, also my current uni and the london uni offer placement... My first year modules are exactly the same as the london uni's first AND second year modules so it shouldn't be a problem if I transfer for third year next year if transferring now isn't an option, right?
    No idea what you're suggesting here, but you have to think long-term here, not short-term. Go to the Russell Group uni, do really well in first year as you seem to have covered the material well already, and be long-distance with your boyfriend or find a new one. Having seen your boyfriend "a couple of days ago" and changed your mind about uni since is ridiculous.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.