Why is it a problem Corbyn didn't appoint women in the most senior roles? Watch

Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He promised 50:50 and then filled all the top positions with men. Even Angela Eagle was supposedly only appointed as Shadow First Secretary of State after the press had started highlighting the lack of women in top roles.
BigItch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
Jeremy Corbyn has been heavily criticised for not putting women in the most senior shadow cabinet roles, but I find this strange.

Surely we want the people most qualified for such positions, irrespective of their sex. Deliberately forcing women into such roles to be PC seems not only inappropriate, but an affront to what many feminists say they want: equality between the sexes. Putting women in senior roles just because they're women is mad. People should get into their positions by merit, and merit only. Sex, race, sexuality etc. should have no influence. If more men or women are in senior roles, so be it. The matter of equality comes from whether men and women are having equal opportunity to enter senior roles - which they are.

Corbyn isn't the type to be sexist either. He's as left as this country has seen in a long time. I'm not a fan of him either before anyone asks - I just find this smearing tiresome. People are just looking for any reason to label him a sexist or misogynist.

Just my two cents anyway.
Have you ever thought that the people Corbyn appointed may be better at the job? It is not discrimination in any way over 50% of the cabinet are women, even though i think that the cabinet is low profile, and there is better candidates who have refused to work for Corbyn he may aswell sack them .
BigItch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
He promised 50:50 and then filled all the top positions with men. Even Angela Eagle was supposedly only appointed as Shadow First Secretary of State after the press had started highlighting the lack of women in top roles.
Does it matter? Because someone is a woman it does not mean they are better at doing their jobs.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BigItch)
Does it matter? Because someone is a woman it does not mean they are better at doing their jobs.
It doesn't matter, no, but once you make a promise you're expected to keep to the spirit of that promise as well as the precise words.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
Jeremy Corbyn has been heavily criticised for not putting women in the most senior shadow cabinet roles, but I find this strange.

Surely we want the people most qualified for such positions, irrespective of their sex. Deliberately forcing women into such roles to be PC seems not only inappropriate, but an affront to what many feminists say they want: equality between the sexes. Putting women in senior roles just because they're women is mad. People should get into their positions by merit, and merit only. Sex, race, sexuality etc. should have no influence. If more men or women are in senior roles, so be it. The matter of equality comes from whether men and women are having equal opportunity to enter senior roles - which they are.

Corbyn isn't the type to be sexist either. He's as left as this country has seen in a long time. I'm not a fan of him either before anyone asks - I just find this smearing tiresome. People are just looking for any reason to label him a sexist or misogynist.

Just my two cents anyway.
In answer to the titular question, it's not.
BigItch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
It doesn't matter, no, but once you make a promise you're expected to keep to the spirit of that promise as well as the precise words.
He may have tried to. A good many have refused to work for him so thats not entirely his fault, he gave a place to disnne abbott who got a ***** slap from jess phillips, the only labour mp i really despise is abbott she thinks black people are better then any other people
Iwanttohugyou
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Agreed. Because they fear him.
This world is over populated.Lack of education in many, benefit cultue.,Women who do work are penalised in wages and lack of low cost child care.
As for sexism , well all people should be allowed to to do thier job regardless of sex.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It isnt a problem. People are just being nitpicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads