Turn on thread page Beta

Is Germany using the EU as a dictatorship? watch

• View Poll Results: Is Germany using the EU as a dictatorship?
    Yes
    68.00%
    No
    32.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    One of the major reasons for the EU to exist is for countries to work together in the face of a crisis
    Name a single crisis which has been improved due to the existence of the EU. Iraq? Afghanistan? Greek bailout? Striking French workers at Calais? The current migrant crisis? Climate change?

Oh wait, they introduced the 'energy efficient' lightbulb :rolleyes:

As an organization the EU is bloated, inefficient and wasteful - its accounts have not been signed off by auditors for 19 years in a row. Thankfully the UK has a veto over any proposed migrant quotas being imposed upon other countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    The ones that can afford to get out are usually better off but that doesn't stop the bombs falling or the constant danger if they chose to stay in Syria. War does not discriminate so if you can afford to get your family out, of course you would.

People like you with no common sense or empathy are the ones that truly sicken me. If you had to pack light to leave your home and everything behind I'm betting you would take your mobile phone too as contact is essential. You don't even have to be particularly rich to own one and a lot of these people had a decent lives before the civil war destroyed them hence why they are refugees.
    You lefties wonder why people are not ready for you in government. You dictate policy with your heart and emotion. Real leaders dictate policy with their brain and limit it to practicality as well as finance. You call these migrants in Europe refugees eh?

Why have Germany and other nations reported that among Syrians is a large influx of Eastern Europeans?

Why have governments reported more than 2 in 100 migrants are ISIS affiliates?

Why have majority of migrants walked through very safe countries yet continue to walk to Germany? If they are scared for their lives as you people say why don't they settle in a safe country like Poland? Or Spain? According to you people they are not "economic migrants" so what possible reason is there for going to Germany?

Why do you value the lives of fit and healthy migrants in Europe over the sick and vulnerable in camps? Id rather our funding went to these people than economics migrants.

For the record the passage by foot is safe for families, there is no risk to life. The passage by boat is dangerous though but they choose this route because it has no fencing. Don't lie when there is very safe passage to Europe through Turkey and the eastern states.

ReputationRep:
    ...Please tell me you feel a little bit embarrassed writing that? Comparing the EU to the USSR and Nazi Germany? Seriously? From other posts I've seen, you sound like an intelligent person so please don't insult yourself by writing nonsense like this. Even if you disagree with what the EU does, making comparisons to regimes that killed millions of people is just stupid.
    And you think millions haven't died as a direct or indirect result of EU policies? Of course they have. Don't be so naive.

And no, I did not compare it to the USSR and Nazi Germany. I compared the EU to the USSR, which it is very much like. Even Vladimir Bukovsky, someone much more informed than either of us on the matter, agrees with this.

Secondly, I compared the German dominance now with the planned German dominance Hitler wanted. I didn't even mention Nazi Germany at all and that is simply you adding spin to what I actually said. You should go with Kay Burley at Sky.

You can call me stupid all you like but if you think the EU is some great thing then you are beyond deluded, and you can take that from a British expat currently living in Eastern Europe - a place whereby a proportion of the population has lived under both Soviet Union rule and EU rule. Again, these are more qualified to talk on the matter than yourself.

Nobody accused the EU of directly going out and killing its civilians as Nazi Germany did.

ReputationRep:
    With Hungary building fences, isolating the east even more, Germany helping those wild economic migrants and wanting to punish other EU countries for not doing the same, EU ignoring the situations in Kosovo and Ukraine and again, focusing on problems that aren't in Europe and that no one else cares about, I think it's safe to say the EU will soon break. And I haven't even mentioned the economic disaster that Greece is. The rage that brits have against the EU is nothing compared to what's coming. Even germans are furious with their leaders.

ReputationRep:
    I think Germany seems to have more power and flexibility only because other countries, namely France and UK, have allowed it to. If the UK strongly opposes Germany closing its border, it would be the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    The scattered documents along the Serbian border will tell you otherwise. They throw away their documents (or never brought them in the first place) and pretend to be Syrian. They refuse to be registered as well. No one knows where the hell they are actually coming from.
    An excellent point. If I was Nigerian or from say Algeria ( mostly stable countries) I'd just throw the passport away and head for Europe. By the time I'm processed, I can have got a cash in hand job and be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Name a single crisis which has been improved due to the existence of the EU. Iraq? Afghanistan? Greek bailout? Striking French workers at Calais? The current migrant crisis? Climate change?

Oh wait, they introduced the 'energy efficient' lightbulb :rolleyes:

As an organization the EU is bloated, inefficient and wasteful - its accounts have not been signed off by auditors for 19 years in a row. Thankfully the UK has a veto over any proposed migrant quotas being imposed upon other countries.
    The audit point is a non argument. The only reason ours get signed off is because we have our own audit office who are ordered to despite complaining about things like railway assets.

The more important figure is what percentage of funds are misused or unaccounted for versus other countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The audit point is a non argument.
    It's a perfectly valid argument when £109 billion out of a total of £117 billion spent by the EU in 2013 was "affected by material error” (such as the farmer who claimed financial assistance for keeping 150 sheep when he did not own any sheep, ie fraud).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-spending.html

http://eca.europa.eu/portal/pls/port...43.PDF#page=78

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why it isn't feasible. There are lots of EU countries that are taking in barely any refugees so put a quota on them to ease the burden off the countries that are taking many (e.g. Germany). 0.1% of the population sounds like a sensible quota to me. You can't just wait for the problem to "die down" because in the mean time, there are hundreds of thousands of lives being completely ruined.
    It is so feasible they closed the borders.

ReputationRep:
    Germany is trying to get dictatorship however it will not work as britian holds the most in the EU. For example take the situation with the refugees, at this moment in time Germany holds the most refugees in the EU, and they are fed up with having the most leg work for this EU crisis. However there has recently been riots with the 'isis' flag being shown in the camps in Germany and this is why Germany dose not want the full reasonability for this, as they as a country can not handle something like this and that is why they are pulling out everything to get the other countries involve as much as possible. Britain did state that the were only letting in women and children however I doubt that very much and I hope that when the time comes to let the refugees come in to the UK that the riots are know to britian.

Pictures of the children that swept online my heart goes out to them and the families. I hope that we can do something about it, and help in any way however britian cant look after the people who are already here never alone refugees. I hope that they take more precautions when we do help the refugees. Otherwise we are only shifting one county's problem to the next.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Germany is dictating to everyone what they should do, it is wrong to try and force countries to take in the migrants, the annoying thing is Cameron back tracked and saying UK will take in 20k of them which is stupid as we need to get our house in order before taking in people. All of what is going on is pushing people more into the leave the EU camp so that we can control our own borders and stick fingers up at everyone

ReputationRep:
    ---

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.