Turn on thread page Beta

Should a woman go to jail for falsely accusing a man of rape? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    How can you positively prove someone is a liar though? What about if in her sincere experiences she believed she was being raped? The concept of consent is very grey in and of itself... This is a tough one legally. I highly doubt it would ever be possible to jail people in any significant way for such an "offence".
    Sometimes they confess. If they confess and have lied they deserve to go to jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I think it might prevent legitimate rape victims from speaking up - another layer of psychological pressure to keep quiet. For that reason I'd be against any legislation making alleged rape victims liable.
    Surely false rape accusations already count as Perverting the Course of Justice?

I think in any case such a law would have to be quite carefully made. Afterall even if the suspect is innocent it still doesn't necessarily make the accuser a liar.

ReputationRep:
    That should be standard practice + compensation.

I really don't know why someone would ever want to fabricate a rape allegation. Not only are those crazy women ruining the lives of innocent men, they are also making it difficult for actual rape victims to come forward.
    If I had my way I'd make all the women who have been proven to have lied about rape serve some time in a physc ward .

The story of Conor Oberst just makes me lose faith in humanity.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/woman-w...-up-those-lies

ReputationRep:
    Well I think there should be 2 court proceedings. The first trial of rape, and the man defends himself. When that is over he can then choose to pursue another court case (or the state could) accusing the woman of falsely accusing him of rape. That way a not guilty verdict of rape in one court case does not translate to her being automatically guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we know it can and does happen. Lock them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemayxo)
    I don't really have an opinion on it, I was just curious as to know what other people think. I'm trying to think of whether i'm all for it or not, I don't really know...

My only argument would be that; how could you possibly prove she was lying? rape is such a tricky subject when it's put into the hands of the law. Often women get ignored when they report rapes, so could this make it even worse for women?
    So women who falsely accuse men of one the foulest crimes it is possible to accuse someone of should get away with it because it could make it worse for actual rape victims. In essence green light false rape claims because nothing will happen to you.

We're not talking locking up women who cant prove they have been raped, we are talking locking up women who have been proven to have lied about it.

(Original post by stochasticking)
    It's easy to prove it. Usually they just use a lie detector.
    Despite what Jeremy Kyle would have you beleive lie detectors can (and do) give false readings and can be beaten. which is why polygraphs are not admissible as evidence in many courts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    It's easy to prove it. Usually they just use a lie detector.
    Lie detectors don't work...
    They measure physiological response that is often associated with lying, but not only and not always.

ReputationRep:
    Alright I've been told about 50 times you can't use lie detectors lol

ReputationRep:
    Yep it damage's people's image and reputation.

Should be jailed for minimum of 10 years.

Idiots who do this should be made an example of I guarantee nobody would do it again if a Jail sentence was added.

ReputationRep:
    I vaguely know of her RL.

Her family stood by her through the whole thing, and refuse to see what she's done wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yes,

ReputationRep:
    If it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that the woman deliberately lied about it, then absolutely. False rape accusations can ruin a man's life and reputation, and our media making a mockery of "innocent until proven guilty" doesn't exactly help things. Not only that, but it's one of the reasons why many actual rape victims are worried about coming forward because they think they won't be believed. People making false accusations make things harder for actual rape victims. False rape accusers are pure scum.

That is, however, different to cases where there simply isn't enough evidence for a conviction, or if the "incident" was based on a misunderstanding or something. You need to be sure that someone has deliberately lied about being raped.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. And pay damages to the person she accused.

ReputationRep:
    I think the intention is very important. If she accidentally mistakes the identity of someone and then its proven it was someone else, that's easily done in a traumatic situation, and she didn't mean to go after an innocent man.
    When it's malicious, that's when we need to be looking at stuff like this. Then and only then!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely if she pursues it as far as arrest, court etc. But, it will never happen becuase there would be 'feminist' outcry.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    If she sues a man for rape but he's innocent, I don't see how she could be convicted. But nothing is stopping the man from sueing her for false accusations. And false accusation lawsuits have been around for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LenaSim)
    If she sues a man for rape but he's innocent, I don't see how she could be convicted. But nothing is stopping the man from sueing her for false accusations. And false accusation lawsuits have been around for a while.

Here can you show the meaning of innocent in your thinking.

ReputationRep:
    If a woman lied about being raped and that lie resulted in the loss of a man's liberty then she would have potentially committed several offences including perjury and defamation.

These offences would need to be proved in their own right though.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.