Turn on thread page Beta

Which is a more prestigious university- Exeter or Sheffield ? watch

Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caroline brady)
    I rather look at the latest rankings!

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-ed...P=share_btn_tw
    Those rankings are based on overall ranking of the uni, and does not consider course ranking. For example, Cambridge is ranked higher than imperial college london overall, but imperial is better in computer science, so for some one wanting to study computer science, it's better if he picks imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    Warwick
    Just wait till you have to get a 30-minute bus to get to campus in your second year. You'll come back to this thread crying.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick
    Their new logo makes them look like Warwick Met or something... old one was much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I would say Sheffield has the safer overall reputation due to its age, redbrick status, location, etc. Exeter might be slightly more prestigious with certain employers (perhaps younger recruiters), though Exeter will be subject to more variation than Sheffield as it has only recently become quite prestigious.

(Original post by callum_law;[url="tel:59420669")
    59420669[/url]]Just wait till you have to get a 30-minute bus to get to campus in your second year. You'll come back to this thread crying.
    where do you study? I'm also planning to only be off campus and travelling to the uni for a year ( year one bluebell, year two Leamington spa, year three China and year four back on campus somewhere

(Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Their new logo makes them look like Warwick Met or something... old one was much nicer.
    I know, I was tempted to use the other fb page when updating my profile lol

ReputationRep:
    where do you study?
    Law at Exeter, bud.

(Original post by callum_law)
    Law at Exeter, bud.
    Not bad

ReputationRep:
    The undergraduate league tables are really fickle. Apart from Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, LSE and some Scottish unis, the positions of universities change a lot. On the complete university guide table Aston was 12th when I applied in 2010/2011 and was consistently in the top 15 from 2008-2011. By the time I graduated in 2014 it had dropped to outside the top 30. How does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    The undergraduate league tables are really fickle. Apart from Oxbridge, Durham, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, LSE and some Scottish unis, the positions of universities change a lot. On the complete university guide table Aston was 12th when I applied in 2010/2011 and was consistently in the top 15 from 2008-2011. By the time I graduated in 2014 it had dropped to outside the top 30. How does that make sense?
    The league tables became more accurate over time.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter (also they have a lovely campus in Cornwall)

ReputationRep:
    Congrats on getting your place at Exeter. I don't think they do, if you take a ten year running average of places would there be clear distinctions? I think most unis from 15-30 would be stacked on top of each other...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    Congrats on getting your place at Exeter. I don't think they do, if you take a ten year running average of places would there be clear distinctions? I think most unis from 15-30 would be stacked on top of each other...
    I am a second year, but thanks, mate. I wonder if Aston had held its place as 15th for an extended period and whether it was consistent amongst the three main UK rankings.

ReputationRep:
    I am a second year, but thanks, mate. I wonder if Aston had held its place as 15th for an extended period and whether it was consistent amongst the three main UK rankings.
    No worries. It definitely hasn't and there is a major descripancy between CUG and the Guardian. It could just be that people from 2005-2010 performed well and my generation f****d it up haha. It didn't make sense to me how it could drop down so quickly.
    Ps - I would definitely chose Exeter over Sheffield. It's not just league table but for a range of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    That is definitely not how it works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally think Sheffield, but many would say, Exeter, I'm sure. Exeter is in a beautiful location, no doubt. However, as I've always said, if Bristol and Durham are for Oxbridge rejects, then Exeter is for Bristol and Durham rejects.

Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool are the big northern powerhouse universities popular with clever, Northern, working-class, state-school types. They do serve a purpose. You can picture future Labour Party officials and trade union organisers earning their relatively worthless degrees in the arts and humanities subjects turning out of these institutions. Exeter, on the other hand, is a favourite amongst the privately educated middle-classes from London and the Home Counties. You'd probably get a better education out of Sheffield, but you'd have to pal around with the sons of mechanics and welders, whereas you'd make excellent City connections at Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodge-Slant-6)
    I personally think Sheffield, but many would say, Exeter, I'm sure. Exeter is in a beautiful location, no doubt. However, as I've always said, if Bristol and Durham are for Oxbridge rejects, then Exeter is for Bristol and Durham rejects.

Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool are the big northern powerhouse universities popular with clever, Northern, working-class, state-school types. They do serve a purpose. You can picture future Labour Party officials and trade union organisers earning their relatively worthless degrees in the arts and humanities subjects turning out of these institutions. Exeter, on the other hand, is a favourite amongst the privately educated middle-classes from London and the Home Counties. You'd probably get a better education out of Sheffield, but you'd have to pal around with the sons of mechanics and welders, whereas you'd make excellent City connections at Exeter.

It might surprise you, but Exeter and Newcastle have around the same percentage of students from independent schools. It may be more romantic to believe that the Northern unis cater for the brightest of the Northerners (many of whom are socially deprived), and Exeter caters for the third brightest of the Southerners (from affluent families), but this is fundamentally untrue. Firstly, there are a shed load of Southerners who study at Newcastle and these other places. Indeed, I am as Northern and working class as they come and I study at Exeter. People move around nowadays because it's no longer 1923.

What actually distinguishes Exeter and Sheffield and Exeter and Manchester is that Exeter mostly offers AAA and sometimes AAB. Let's say you want to do English Literature. You can happily get into Sheffield with AAB (its nominal offer) and they'll probably take you with ABB. Exeter's offers are AAA and A*AA (and they mean it—some girl on here was rejected from the uni for Lit because she only got A*AB). Manchester has some good courses, and Sheffield do too, but on the whole Sheffield and Manchester are AAB to ABB universities. Sheffield and Manchester are for the people who couldn't get into Exeter, as it were.

ReputationRep:
    I love the debate this post has stirred up !

Im not actually choosing a uni, I'm already at Sheffield, but was just interested as to what people had to say on the matter as I know many people at Exeter and I wanted to know if they were deemed 'better' than me :/

I never even applied to Exeter in the end, it was on my shortlist though. I do sometimes wish I had applied, as it seems to get so much attention these days but the people i know at Exeter all seem to be a certain snobby type, and I'm still glad I chose Sheffield even if Exeter is slightly 'better' .

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to both so yes it's all very interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.