Turn on thread page Beta

What would happen if we removed all benefits? watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Which it isn't. Natural rate of unemployment.
    I know, that's why I mentioned it. Society needs some unemployed people to stop wage inflation (and ultimately hyperinflation), removing all benefits means the few people that we need to be unemployed have no income at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I know, that's why I mentioned it. Society needs some unemployed people to stop wage inflation (and ultimately hyperinflation), removing all benefits means the few people that we need to be unemployed have no income at all.
    It's bad enough there are going to be those doomed to unemployment no matter what. It's despicable that they should be treated like scum and their lives made as difficult as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet n Sour)
    If society were hypothetically stripped of all benefits, I do think there would be more homelessness and more poverty and more crime, and more blatant political and police corruption. Benefits were made to assuage people already doomed to this lifestyle anyway. What separates the western civilisation from other countries is the government recognising human rights and establishing programs that dole out help to those who need it for whatever reason, as opposed to ignoring children banging on car windows for bit change and mothers begging on the streets with their kids running around barefoot playing with sticks. Like Nepal.
    g ur butters
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's bad enough there are going to be those doomed to unemployment no matter what. It's despicable that they should be treated like scum and their lives made as difficult as possible.
    I wouldn't view it as "doomed" although there always needs to be some people unemployed, they don't have to be the same people. If there's a high turnover and people are only spending a few weeks on the dole then it's not such a bad thing. We're talking about people who've just left school/university and people with short term contracts, plus people with disabilities and part time jobs - all are covered currently by the welfare state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I wouldn't view it as "doomed" although there always needs to be some people unemployed, they don't have to be the same people. If there's a high turnover and people are only spending a few weeks on the dole then it's not such a bad thing. We're talking about people who've just left school/university and people with short term contracts, plus people with disabilities and part time jobs - all are covered currently by the welfare state.
    which is shrinking and that still doesn't excuse the horrible rhetoric aimed at people in that situation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Would there be more homeless people?Short term, yes, long term, no.
    Would we start to adopt the South Asian custom of families living together?Potentially.
    Would people start letting people live in empty rooms in their homes for free?Yes people would tend to become more open and welcoming.
    Would charitable donations cover the previous benefits system (or some of it)?Some of it I'm sure.

I don't think this should happen, but I want to know what people think would happen in this hypothetical situation, because I know some will believe it will lead to death and homelessness, whereas others will believe charities will take up the mantel and people will be forced to find some form of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SadLemon)
    Too many people will die...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Looks for bigger font size!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by judogainz)
    g ur butters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarageHouse92)
    You would see more English gangs and lone wolf criminals.
    Sounds like Shank the film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    What would happen if we removed all benefits with a deadline of six to twelve months?

Would there be more homeless people?
    Would we start to adopt the South Asian custom of families living together?
    Would people start letting people live in empty rooms in their homes for free?
    Would charitable donations cover the previous benefits system (or some of it)?

I don't think this should happen, but I want to know what people think would happen in this hypothetical situation, because I know some will believe it will lead to death and homelessness, whereas others will believe charities will take up the mantel and people will be forced to find some form of work.
    Not worth stating if they removed benefits all together the people will crowd out downing street and the surronding areas until they reinstate it

ReputationRep:
    As i single parent whose working in the public sector i would be ****ed. Tax credits pays for their extra curricular activities and child benefit covers their school meals. I'm going to love the incoming from this .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    What would happen if we removed all benefits with a deadline of six to twelve months?

Would there be more homeless people?
    Would we start to adopt the South Asian custom of families living together?
    Would people start letting people live in empty rooms in their homes for free?
    Would charitable donations cover the previous benefits system (or some of it)?

I would open a bottle of champagne.

ReputationRep:
    I think attendance at my free roadmanology college would sky rocket

ReputationRep:
    No difference. Government will create jobs rather than dole out money (like the US does). Rich will remain rich but build compounds and gated communities like they do in the US or Africa or India.

It will be a two sided economy (like the US is) extreme wealth and privilege on one side and poverty and despair on the other side. Rich will always survive and are not scared of peasants they can protect themselves by guards etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some people on here have had it too easy, to even understand.

ReputationRep:
    If society were hypothetically stripped of all benefits, I do think there would be more homelessness and more poverty and more crime, and more blatant political and police corruption. Benefits were made to assuage people already doomed to this lifestyle anyway. What separates the western civilisation from other countries is the government recognising human rights and establishing programs that dole out help to those who need it for whatever reason, as opposed to ignoring children banging on car windows for bit change and mothers begging on the streets with their kids running around barefoot playing with sticks. Like Nepal.
    are you nepalese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassntai)
    are you nepalese?
    No, I'm educated about what goes on there.

Which it isn't. Natural rate of unemployment.
    Also forgetting frictional unemployment

(Original post by Bill_Gates)
    No difference. Government will create jobs rather than dole out money (like the US does). Rich will remain rich but build compounds and gated communities like they do in the US or Africa or India.

It will be a two sided economy (like the US is) extreme wealth and privilege on one side and poverty and despair on the other side. Rich will always survive and are not scared of peasants they can protect themselves by guards etc.
    Lies. Sexual work and crime will increase

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm educated about what goes on there.
    How is their government ignoring human rights when the country itself is poverty ripe?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.