:sexface:
    Gladly.

I'll see you in court
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I work for an asset management firm and we get absolutely loads of clients trying to hide their fortunes from their spouse - both women and men. I can't say I blame them for trying to hide money away to be honest. I'd probably do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I work for an asset management firm and we get absolutely loads of clients trying to hide their fortunes from their spouse - both women and men. I can't say I blame them for trying to hide money away to be honest. I'd probably do the same.
    Especially if you are the one that has been working the 60hr weeks while they have been sat on their arses most of the time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Especially if you are the one that has been working the 60hr weeks while they have been sat on their arses most of the time.
    It's never usually that simple. If you've sacrificed your career to stay at home because your partner earns a much better salary, you deserve something if things go wrong. When I was at school in nearly every family it was the same situation - one parent (usually the father) had a well paid job and the other parent (usually the mother) stayed at home or worked part time. It was extremely rare to meet someone where both their parents had full time jobs.

My Dad was, and probably still is, earning a six figure salary so my Mum naturally gave up her career to look after the family. He walked out on his family ten years ago and hasn't paid my mum a penny. I don't think that is fair at all. We're all grown up now so it's largely irrelevant, but he should have chipped in over the past ten years. Fortunately for my mum, once her kids all started school she completed a degree out of boredom so she was easily able to find a job when she needed to. If she hadn't, god knows what would have happened.

I think the divorce system is incredibly biased in favour of women but it's a tough place to draw the line because you can't just leave them with nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    The scenario is a stay at home wife with no assets and a rich husband, she brings up the children.

In principle the woman should get, for the duration of the children's minority:

1. Compensation for loss of earnings based on her qualifications and career only.
    2. Stipend for future (not retrospective) child-rearing as charged at market rates for hours outside school hours. This contingent on visitation rights.
    3. Contribution, assessed based on the shortfall after (1), housing benefit entitlement, and average percentage cost of rent, towards the rent or mortgage on a house with the criterion being sufficient bedrooms for the children.

As a ballpark I pretty much think under the above system an averagely qualified woman with two kids shouldn't ever receive any more than £6-800,000 over the lifetime of the children. This is about £25 to 30k a year.
    This is exactly why divorce courts don't favour men.

We are simply rational enough to realise that a woman who stays at home and raises children, is allowing her husband to develop his career is making sacrifices and adding to the marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It's never usually that simple. If you've sacrificed your career to stay at home because your partner earns a much better salary, you deserve something if things go wrong. When I was at school in nearly every family it was the same situation - one parent (usually the father) had a well paid job and the other parent (usually the mother) stayed at home or worked part time. It was extremely rare to meet someone where both their parents had full time jobs.

My Dad was, and probably still is, earning a six figure salary so my Mum naturally gave up her career to look after the family. He walked out on his family ten years ago and hasn't paid my mum a penny. I don't think that is fair at all. We're all grown up now so it's largely irrelevant, but he should have chipped in over the past ten years. Fortunately for my mum, once her kids all started school she completed a degree out of boredom so she was easily able to find a job when she needed to. If she hadn't, god knows what would have happened.

I think the divorce system is incredibly biased in favour of women but it's a tough place to draw the line because you can't just leave them with nothing.
    I tend to air on the side of thinking that the father should be expected to provide for the children after divorce but that he has no further obligation to the mothers standard of living. The notion that a court can make men pay maintenance orders for their standard of living is alarming. We also need to prevent retrospective claims when people get rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    It isn't at all fair. This is why you get a Prenup.
    in my opinion, this is why you shouldn't ever get married full stop! marriage is a lawyer's business. $$$
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I tend to air on the side of thinking that the father should be expected to provide for the children after divorce but that he has no further obligation to the mothers standard of living. The notion that a court can make men pay maintenance orders for their standard of living is alarming. We also need to prevent retrospective claims when people get rich.
    Anything post divorce shouldn't have any impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Anything post divorce shouldn't have any impact.
    Unfortunately there was a story a few years ago about somebody winning the lottery or making millions from a business and the wife claimed a decade after.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately there was a story a few years ago about somebody winning the lottery or making millions from a business and the wife claimed a decade after.
    Do you remember when we spoke about the Islam divorce laws and British divorce laws? You still favouring British ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Do you remember when we spoke about the Islam divorce laws and British divorce laws? You still favouring British ones?
    A few good things do not overpower the overwhelming negative view I have.

ReputationRep:
    A few good things do not overpower the overwhelming negative view I have.
    Here, which one would you chose for yourself, and anybody else which Divorce laws would you chose the Western one or the Islamic one.

Western Divorce
    Wife gets half assets e.g. house, monies, pension, etc
    Wife gets alimony, e.g. financial support from ex-husband
    Wife normally gets custody of children
    Children get child support from father

Islamic Talaaq
    Wife gets nothing from husbands assets, e.g. house, monies, etc.
    (Wife still has ownership of all of her property).
    Wife gets no alimony, only the mahr from the nikaah
    Custody of children under 7 to mother
    Custody of children after age of 7 dependant on circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Here, which one would you chose for yourself, and anybody else which Divorce laws would you chose the Western one or the Islamic one.

Western Divorce
    Wife gets half assets e.g. house, monies, pension, etc
    Wife gets alimony, e.g. financial support from ex-husband
    Wife normally gets custody of children

Islamic Talaaq
    Wife gets nothing from husbands assets, e.g. house, monies, etc.
    (Wife still has ownership of all of her property).
    Wife gets no alimony, only the mahr from the nikaah
    Custody of children under 7 to mother
    Custody of children after age of 7 dependant on circumstances
    No need to convert. I'd rather just make pre-nups legally binding. They'd do everything you listed.

Probably wouldn't want the wife keeping the children though.

ReputationRep:
    No need to convert. I'd rather just make pre-nups legally binding. They'd do everything you listed.

Probably wouldn't want the wife keeping the children though.
    This not about converting, just saying if Britain took up these laws, it would be really fair for everybody. Pre Nups have nothing to do with children and prenups can be overturned easily. Prenups aren't even enforceable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    This not about converting, just saying if Britain took up these laws, it would be really fair for everybody. Pre Nups have nothing to do with children and prenups can be overturned easily. Prenups aren't even enforceable.
    Hence why I want them made legally binding.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.