Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Running out of money watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Next week, treat yourself to a £3 5kg sack of potatoes. Then you have a months worth of chips, jacket potatoes, mash and cottage pie topping to hand.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god for asian parents.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Another thing I found really useful:
    I used to draw out a certain amount of money each week and that was all I had to spend for the week. I used to put all the change into a jar, which at the end of the year was usually a fair amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    Well I find it hard to cope with £30 a week. I live in a studio flat so I have to buy all the shopping.

I know people are saying to me about money management but you've got to understand that I've got charged for things that I did not expect to get.
    We were told to buy stuff for our course, but one guy read the student handbook and it said that "any essential items are covered for by tuition fee costs". So I think soon we won't have to pay for anything, even the course tutors were saying we needed to buy our own stuff.

Might you want to refer to your course handbook here and see if that mentions anything?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm not going there again! I keep going there because I can't be bothered going to the Tesco down the road.
    Problem number 1.

I live in a studio flat.I know people are saying to me about money management but you've got to understand that I've got charged for things that I did not expect to get.
    Problem number 2.

Not only did you pick a really, really expensive form of accommodation (studio flats are usually aimed at postgrads), but you can't be bothered to walk down the road to a cheap shop? You can easily get by on £30 a week in Tescos. Everyone I know is happy to walk 20-30 minutes to find a cheap shop.

And yes, university shops are always overpriced. They prey on students who are too lazy to go anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    We were told to buy stuff for our course, but one guy read the student handbook and it said that "any essential items are covered for by tuition fee costs". So I think soon we won't have to pay for anything, even the course tutors were saying we needed to buy our own stuff.

Might you want to refer to your course handbook here and see if that mentions anything?
    They charged me for books that I thought were free.

ReputationRep:
    They charged me for books that I thought were free.
    Did you check your course handbook to see if it mentioned anything about essential items being covered for by your tuition fee?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.