Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cutting working tax credits ?? watch

• Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Katty3)
    My brothers are both still growing so they need new clothes because they've grown out of the old ones. The age gap means hand me downs are unfeasible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They don't need "new" clothes. Charity shops are fine.

ReputationRep:
    Prepayment certificate worth looking into.
    There is no safe cycle route, and it's too far to walk. Also no bike lockers. I am quite uncomfortable riding in heavy traffic as I have very poor coordination and I've come off more than once.

My brothers are both still growing so they need new clothes because they've grown out of the old ones. The age gap means hand me downs are unfeasible.

Dad's self employed and mum earns more than the new higher minimum wage. So yes we will lose that much. Tax and NI will help a bit, but nowhere near as much as we'll lose from the loss of tax credits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How far is "too" far? People used to walk four miles to school!
    Start riding when it's quieter in half term, then you'll get better
    Go to charity shops! Easy ways to cut down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessThomas6)
    How far is "too" far? People used to walk four miles to school!
    Start riding when it's quieter in half term, then you'll get better
    Go to charity shops! Easy ways to cut down

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Too far as in it takes about an hour to walk there.

I have NO CONFIDENCE to ride in traffic. It isn't about my skill as a rider, it's about it being unsafe to cycle to college due to the conditions of the road.

I already usually go to charity shops.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    They don't need "new" clothes. Charity shops are fine.
    New as in new to them. They can't go around wearing trousers half way up to their knees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Employers should pay their employees properly and not rely on tax credits to top up peoples earnings.

ReputationRep:

I have NO CONFIDENCE to ride in traffic. It isn't about my skill as a rider, it's about it being unsafe to cycle to college due to the conditions of the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And why can't your two brothers? Surely 25p for a shirt is better than £5 if they're going to grow out of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    Employers should pay their employees properly and not rely on tax credits to top up peoples earnings.
    That's why tax credits are being cut, employers rely on it to top up wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I used to walk over an hour to college.

You're just making excuse tbh. Be grateful you've not had to find over a grand for disability equipment like some of us have to.

ReputationRep:
    And why can't your two brothers? Surely 25p for a shirt is better than £5 if they're going to grow out of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to walk over an hour to college.

You're just making excuse tbh. Be grateful you've not had to find over a grand for disability equipment like some of us have to.
    No. I've just had most of my in college support cut.

I'm not just making excuses. It is genuinely too far to walk. I end up absolutely shattered by the time I get to colleg and unable to do my work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    No. I've just had most of my in college support cut.

I'm not just making excuses. It is genuinely too far to walk. I end up absolutely shattered by the time I get to college and unable to do my work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Although I think it is harsh and unfair to be in such a position, it shouldn't be much of a problem to be walking 2 hours a day. If there is, then it would actually be good for you to build up that bit of fitness. Just remember playing at break time and P.E. lessons at school; the exercise doesn't prevent one from studying and is probably more beneficial.
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...ry-cell-growth

I would use my journeys home from uni for a jog, which gives me strenuous exercise plus saving me time.

ReputationRep:
    Holy sh*t, some of the people in this thread. OP is stating her family is unable to support itself due to a change in government legislation, her family is one of millions in the uk which stand to lose hundreds, even thousands from these changes. And instead of being the slightest bit sympathetic or even outraged that this is going on in a 1st world country you give extremely condescending advice. What the f°ck!

I genuinely dont understand how anyone who voted tory this term can stand by their vote unless they are genuinely disconnected from the struggles of the majority the 2015 fiscal plan has been the biggest f*ck you to working families in the UK since Thatcher. But atleast for Thatcher people rioted and protested and made their voices heard, this time around, nowt. Hell this time around we are getting legislation along side the fiscal plan to stop public protest! To spy on us and make sure we are not organising dissent! I wont go down the cliche of comparing Cameron to Hitler but by definition what the tories are doing this term is facism. They are f*cking the majority whilst simultaneously doing everything in their power to silence them.

And all for what, a few % off of the top tier tax band and a slash to the inheritance tax, the former helping those earning a comfortable amount over the average wage and the latter only affecting those with MILLIONs to give to there offspring.

Its f*cking disgusting.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Holy sh*t, some of the people in this thread. OP is stating her family is unable to support itself due to a change in government legislation, her family is one of millions in the uk which stand to lose hundreds, even thousands from these changes. And instead of being the slightest bit sympathetic or even outraged that this is going on in a 1st world country you give extremely condescending advice. What the f°ck!
    Meanwhile, there are thousands of people out there having to survive on much less. But hey, that hasn't made news and no-one cares.

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile, there are thousands of people out there having to survive on much less. But hey, that hasn't made news and no-one cares.
    Yes and that is an ongoing issue that is very slowly being repaired, however the point im trying to make is instead of making life better for the majority of people in the UK destructive policies such as the abolition of tax credits is making life worse and we are moving in the wrong direction.

ReputationRep:
    Prepayment certificate worth looking into.
    There is no safe cycle route, and it's too far to walk. Also no bike lockers. I am quite uncomfortable riding in heavy traffic as I have very poor coordination and I've come off more than once.

Dad's self employed and mum earns more than the new higher minimum wage. So yes we will lose that much. Tax and NI will help a bit, but nowhere near as much as we'll lose from the loss of tax credits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Braise of the age gap, hand me downs are unfeasible?

You'll have to explain that one.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not another 'oh wo me.'

Get a a grip and get some confidence to cycle.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, a prepayment certain is just over £100 but you would save over £300 if you need a lot
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2600.aspx

If one of her illnesses is chronic, she should get all her prescriptions free.

An hour's walk is a pain but I used to easily do 45 mins.

The principle of tax credit removal is ok but needs to be countered by a decent minimum wage
    Brought in at the same time . Removing one before the other is just stupid

ReputationRep:
    That's why tax credits are being cut, employers rely on it to top up wages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As much as I do agree with tax credit cuts, the notion of corporate welfare is rubbish and wage growth won't really change just because of these changes simply because most people are not truly on the bread line.

Personally I'd like to see wage growth for the lowest 10% of employees tied to revenue growth for listed companies.

Don't get me wrong. In principal my capitalist instincts make me adore the free market but in a world where the labour supply outweighs the number of vacancies the free market alone just doesn't cut it when it comes to wage growth.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by domonict)
    To be fair, a prepayment certain is just over £100 but you would save over £300 if you need a lot
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2600.aspx

If one of her illnesses is chronic, she should get all her prescriptions free.

An hour's walk is a pain but I used to easily do 45 mins.

The principle of tax credit removal is ok but needs to be countered by a decent minimum wage
    Brought in at the same time . Removing one before the other is just stupid
    Not everyone with chronic illnesses gets free prescriptions. Asthmatics, for example, don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Not another 'oh wo me.'

Get a a grip and get some confidence to cycle.
    I have coordination difficulties and I've been knocked off my bike more than once.

I wasn't ever seriously hurt, just shaken up. I lost my confidence. Thereis no infringement for cycling where I live so if I go out on my bike, I literally take my life in my hands.

My route to college involves a very dangerous junction. I get the bus.

A return ticket three days a week comes to £6.90. Not exactly breaking the bank.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.