Turn on thread page Beta

Tax Credit Tears turns out to be Super Striver! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    What's your point? My voting Conservative was never contingent on me being spared from all and every form of government policy.
    My point was that the poll tax riots weren't quite the political revolution people remember them to be. The Tory vote share dropped by all of 0.3% in 1992.
    Tax credits were widely derided earlier in the year as an unfair business subsidy. Even Labour was giving it stick. Now suddenly the Tories are cutting it, it's now a vital lifeline for the poor and the Tories are out of order? Sounds like you're giving the Tories stick because it's the Tories. This really, really, isn't the turning point you wish it was.

Let's wait and see shall we rather than making cast iron predictions of what will and won't happen.
    The point is the Tories made a promise not to cut tax credits, a lot of Tory voters get tax credits and will be rightly pissed off.

Just take your Tory tinted glasses off for a second.

No one knows what will happen but what I do know is that if the Tories do lose, it will be hugely down to the type of complacency you're showing now. Blair became hnpopualr with a similar type of complacency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34552721

So the BBC managed to get hold of Michelle Dorrell who was the Women who cried about Tax Credits on Question Time.
    Is this the same lady who it has since came out actually won't be affected by the tax credit changes?

Perhaps you ought to find a more reliable champion for your anti-tory rantings?

ReputationRep:
    Going self employed as a beauty therapist is risky because its a saturated market where it is hard to make a profit.

That aside this is a woman who is in a situation where she can't afford to work. The size of the slap in the face you get for trying is such that she would probably be safer on jsa. Except she wouldn't because of all the sanctions the tories have liberally put to that.

The tories are backing people into a corner. Absolute bullies and i hope to god corbyn gets in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    Going self employed as a beauty therapist is risky because its a saturated market where it is hard to make a profit.

That aside this is a woman who is in a situation where she can't afford to work. The size of the slap in the face you get for trying is such that she would probably be safer on jsa. Except she wouldn't because of all the sanctions the tories have liberally put to that.

The tories are backing people into a corner. Absolute bullies and i hope to god corbyn gets in!
    Are you really trying to make a point by using the example of a loss-making business? Her business isnt making a profit. That's not the government's fault! Anyone can run a loss making business, just go buy a load of £400 playstations and sell them for £50. You can hardly cry about being broke if you continue running at a loss.

She ought to ditch the business and get a job elsewhere instead of expecting the tax payer to subsidise her poor business performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Let's wait and see shall we rather than making cast iron predictions of what will and won't happen.
    The point is the Tories made a promise not to cut tax credits, a lot of Tory voters get tax credits and will be rightly pissed off.

Just take your Tory tinted glasses off for a second.

No one knows what will happen but what I do know is that if the Tories do lose, it will be hugely down to the type of complacency you're showing now. Blair became hnpopualr with a similar type of complacency.
    Your glasses appear to be just as tinted, if not more so, as you claim mine are. You're proclaiming the end of the Tories based on one shrill hysterical woman on QT. Are only you allowed to make predictions?
    This isn't complacency, it's grand strategy. Strong GDP and wage growth over the next 4 years would more than erase any ill will over these tax credit cuts.

ReputationRep:
    It's possible she could be working on a zero hours min wage contract and be working at a loss after paying for commuting and lunch because the tories say employers can do people over like that.

This isn't about whether she's running a struggling business or working thirty hours a week on min wage. The fact is that even the most proactive people are struggling and the problem with the tories is that their mentality is "if you're not winning in the hard situation that we've created then it's your fault".

When dc got in in 2010 and was talking about supporting hard working people it made me mad. He doesn't work hard he just roles up his sleeves (and looks like a **** in the process) to make it look like he does. People do work hard and the cost of getting by is still too hard. Karl Marx probably looks at the tories and is turning in his grave!

(Original post by Reue)
    Are you really trying to make a point by using the example of a loss-making business? Her business isnt making a profit. That's not the government's fault! Anyone can run a loss making business, just go buy a load of £400 playstations and sell them for £50. You can hardly cry about being broke if you continue running at a loss.

She ought to ditch the business and get a job elsewhere instead of expecting the tax payer to subsidise her poor business performance.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.