Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ntanationa)
    No problem, I applied October 14th so pretty early actually. When did you apply?
    I have 42 predicted in IB (HL: History 7, English A 6, French B 7, Bio 6; SL: Spanish B 7, Maths 7)

What are your grades? Btw, I am EU not UK.
    I applied october the 12th so not far off you, and i applied with 3 A's at As and my welsh bac counting as my 4th As pass. Im sure you'll hear something soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STUDENTSJ)
    Just saw that as well!! Let's hope it's good newwwssssss, so worriedd!!!!!
    I hope mine soon changes! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I hope mine soon changes! Good luck!!
    Thank you, I'll let you know how it goes even though I'm fairly negative...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JL092297)
    I applied october the 12th so not far off you, and i applied with 3 A's at As and my welsh bac counting as my 4th As pass. Im sure you'll hear something soon
    Okay very similar then Hope so! Good luck! I hope we all get in and get to meet soon!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'll let you know how it goes even though I'm fairly negative...
    Don't be! Always hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    Just received an offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohan96)
    Just received an offer!
    SAME!! I AM SOOOO HAPPYYYYY!!
    Good luck to everyoneeeee

ReputationRep:
    SAME!! I AM SOOOO HAPPYYYYY!!
    Good luck to everyoneeeee
    Congrats! Yh good luck everyone! Are you going to firm it?

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! Yh good luck everyone! Are you going to firm it?
    I'm still waiting on LSE so it depends on that, at the moment I like both so so much!
    What about you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting on LSE so it depends on that, at the moment I like both so so much!
    What about you?
    Im still waiting on LSE too aha, for econ and econ history? If I don't get that then I will either firm this or Econ and business with EES at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Im still waiting on LSE too aha, for econ and econ history? If I don't get that then I will either firm this or Econ and business with EES at UCL.
    Haha I imagined.. waiting for straight econ history!

ReputationRep:
    Haha I imagined.. waiting for straight econ history!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    Good luck to you too!! Maybe we'll meet next year!

ReputationRep:
    got an offer 2 hours ago !

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! Is there anyone planning to go to the post offer open day?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulatios to all the offer holders!

As this course is one of my favorite choices, it would be hugely appreciated if you would be kind enough to read the following wall of text and perhaps tell me of your opinions on my situation! No one who I know, at my school or anywhere else, is applying for such courses..

Well, at first I got AAACC Business Studies, History, General Studies, Geography, Economics (somehow; it was a huge surprise... Cs were the highest in Geography and Economics). These were AQA. I then sat a private candidate CIE Economics exam and managed a respectable 87% (the exam center was not the greatest; huge amounts of noise) so I ended up with AAAAC for the AS levels.Predicted AAABBb (Economics, Business, History, Geography, General Studies, Core Maths MEI Quantitative Reasoning qualification which is an AS-level maths equivalent). Was lied to to by the teachers; promised A*AAABb, ended up with that... did immense amounts of extra work that was not even looked over by the teachers and dismissed. (dat venting though)Moved to the UK last year to this terrible school (bottom 40% in England)..Do you think the university would consider my crappy school (which I smoothly alluded to in the personal statement) and me moving to another country? Achieved A*A*AAABCC on my IGCSEs (Econ, History, Geography, English first language, Maths, French, Biology), and many universities consider IGCSEs to be more difficult.

Would they take my recent abnormal drop in academic prowess as proof that I had to adapt to a far worse school, and not that I'm becoming lazy and flopping exams? I mean, I was the only one in the school to get As in Econ/Business/History...I have work experience as an assistant economist at a company in Romania for two consecutive summer vacations (full time), and teaching experience of two weeks in the UK (Business and Economics).

Mentioned plenty of economic theories such as MMT, neo/chartalism, surplus recycling mechanisms, my immense interest in China and its state capitalism (which also slightly applies to Russia's economic system... sort of), my interest in the father of state capitalism Lee Kuan Yew and Deng Xiaoping's adoption of it, etc.And then I proceeded to list off many books about Philosophy I have read (which tie in a lot with politics, economics and sociology) so I do hope they'll just take my A in history as proof I love history enough.

So yeah, anyone willing to read that huge wall of text and give their opinion on it would certainly be a kind individual Thank you kindly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    Congratulatios to all the offer holders!

As this course is one of my favorite choices, it would be hugely appreciated if you would be kind enough to read the following wall of text and perhaps tell me of your opinions on my situation! No one who I know, at my school or anywhere else, is applying for such courses..

Well, at first I got AAACC Business Studies, History, General Studies, Geography, Economics (somehow; it was a huge surprise... Cs were the highest in Geography and Economics). These were AQA. I then sat a private candidate CIE Economics exam and managed a respectable 87% (the exam center was not the greatest; huge amounts of noise) so I ended up with AAAAC for the AS levels.Predicted AAABBb (Economics, Business, History, Geography, General Studies, Core Maths MEI Quantitative Reasoning qualification which is an AS-level maths equivalent). Was lied to to by the teachers; promised A*AAABb, ended up with that... did immense amounts of extra work that was not even looked over by the teachers and dismissed. (dat venting though)Moved to the UK last year to this terrible school (bottom 40% in England)..Do you think the university would consider my crappy school (which I smoothly alluded to in the personal statement) and me moving to another country? Achieved A*A*AAABCC on my IGCSEs (Econ, History, Geography, English first language, Maths, French, Biology), and many universities consider IGCSEs to be more difficult.

Would they take my recent abnormal drop in academic prowess as proof that I had to adapt to a far worse school, and not that I'm becoming lazy and flopping exams? I mean, I was the only one in the school to get As in Econ/Business/History...I have work experience as an assistant economist at a company in Romania for two consecutive summer vacations (full time), and teaching experience of two weeks in the UK (Business and Economics).

Mentioned plenty of economic theories such as MMT, neo/chartalism, surplus recycling mechanisms, my immense interest in China and its state capitalism (which also slightly applies to Russia's economic system... sort of), my interest in the father of state capitalism Lee Kuan Yew and Deng Xiaoping's adoption of it, etc.And then I proceeded to list off many books about Philosophy I have read (which tie in a lot with politics, economics and sociology) so I do hope they'll just take my A in history as proof I love history enough.

So yeah, anyone willing to read that huge wall of text and give their opinion on it would certainly be a kind individual Thank you kindly.
    Hey! I don't really know what the uni will think about it, but I think that you do have genuine reasons for the drop in grades, and if you demonstrated your interest through your personal statement, they may seriously consider you. Have you let them know about your circumstances? If not, you probably should! I'm sorry I can't say much more, I haven't had much experience in things like this Good luck though! I am still waiting on a decision for this course

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I don't really know what the uni will think about it, but I think that you do have genuine reasons for the drop in grades, and if you demonstrated your interest through your personal statement, they may seriously consider you. Have you let them know about your circumstances? If not, you probably should! I'm sorry I can't say much more, I haven't had much experience in things like this Good luck though! I am still waiting on a decision for this course
    Hehe, thank you for your reply!

And if anything that should have been mentioned in the reference, but the teachers here really do not take kindly to me; especially not the head of year who writes the references. They would never even allude to their school being weak (which it is... bottom 40% isn't really that good, with the only thing they got more than 2/5 being attendance lol )

I mentioned in the PS that I moved from a very helpful school to a very, very different one in this country and that I learned to be extremely self reliant (alluding to the school being worthless, and having moved from a great school).

Hopefully they will read into it well enough, and not consider it too disrespectful. It is, after all, what has wrecked my chances of applying to oxbridge. I mean, I don't think it would be proper to send my life story to the UG Admissions team and listing excuses :P Or so I would think; dunno. Hopefully the one dedicated paragraph in my PS is enough.

Also, really well done on your IBs And I take it you did focus on the former SU and Central Europe in your PS? I wonder if my focus on Eastern economics, history and philosophy would impact me negatively in being considered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caius Filimon)
    Hehe, thank you for your reply!

And if anything that should have been mentioned in the reference, but the teachers here really do not take kindly to me; especially not the head of year who writes the references. They would never even allude to their school being weak (which it is... bottom 40% isn't really that good, with the only thing they got more than 2/5 being attendance lol )

I mentioned in the PS that I moved from a very helpful school to a very, very different one in this country and that I learned to be extremely self reliant (alluding to the school being worthless, and having moved from a great school).

Hopefully they will read into it well enough, and not consider it too disrespectful. It is, after all, what has wrecked my chances of applying to oxbridge. I mean, I don't think it would be proper to send my life story to the UG Admissions team and listing excuses :P Or so I would think; dunno. Hopefully the one dedicated paragraph in my PS is enough.

Also, really well done on your IBs And I take it you did focus on the former SU and Central Europe in your PS? I wonder if my focus on Eastern economics, history and philosophy would impact me negatively in being considered.
    Okay, well hopefully what you wrote in your PS will be enough!
    Thanks! Those are just predicted, so I still have so much work to do, but hopefully will get something near that. I did mention USSR and EE but it wasnt really the focus of my PS. I think it shouldnt impact you negatively, thats what they want to hear

ReputationRep:
    Slight necro over here ;P

Just wanted to see if anyone else has received offers on the course? Given my recent refusal and consolation offer from a similar course, I sure am getting a slight bit nervous...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.