The Student Room Group

A warning on investment banking (M&A) careers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welcometoib
not bad at all, her hours are much longer than his right?

It depends. Sometimes it can be horrendous (finishing at like 1-4 in the morning), usually at the end of a deal, but sometimes it's not too bad (finishing at around 8/9).
Original post by Anonynmous
lol this thread got derailed with ad hominems you know.

ppman's post might be a bit harsh but the underlying notion is true.

Do you work in the IB industry?

No, I know its a difficult place to work. I know why people do it and I know that a lot of people fail with exit ops. A friend of mine had some silly (5?!) number of rounds of interviews with FAPI (Rothschild) and finally they've said, 'nah...'.

My point is, even if PP's points have some grounding in reality, and they may well do, this isn't the way to go about expressing them. Especially for someone with no actual experience working in the industry.
Original post by Princepieman
Another pointless post, nice and you even admitted it was pointless in the first line.

Have fun chatting to schoolgirls about your prestigious life.

lol well obviously you're going to call criticism of your manner "pointless" if you're a colossally arrogant ****.

Have fun getting rejected by the **** college you're applying to at Oxford :wink:
Original post by Awesome Genius
lol well obviously you're going to call criticism of your manner "pointless" if you're a colossally arrogant ****.

Have fun getting rejected by the **** college you're applying to at Oxford :wink:

Will do bro!

Cheers for pointing out facts about my life that I already knew, ta.

I'll admit, you do know how to par people, nicely played I guess - although a hint of decorum would have helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I know its a difficult place to work. I know why people do it and I know that a lot of people fail with exit ops. A friend of mine had some silly (5?!) number of rounds of interviews with FAPI (Rothschild) and finally they've said, 'nah...'.

My point is, even if PP's points have some grounding in reality, and they may well do, this isn't the way to go about expressing them. Especially for someone with no actual experience working in the industry.

Fair enough but tbh the message did get across to the OP (albeit not in an ideal way).

That being said, the argument that ensued after was pointless.
Original post by drowzee
It depends. Sometimes it can be horrendous (finishing at like 1-4 in the morning), usually at the end of a deal, but sometimes it's not too bad (finishing at around 8/9).

thats dead, damn. does she see this as long term?
Will do bro!

Cheers for pointing out facts about my life that I already knew, ta.

I'll admit, you do know how to par people, nicely played I guess - although a hint of decorum would have helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Anonynmous
Fair enough but tbh the message did get across to the OP (albeit not in an ideal way).

That being said, the argument that ensued after was pointless.

OK...I am a dick. But only to people who I know can handle it. Forget about me.

More importantly...

You've just posted a massive account of your opinion of your last two years.

And you get told, by someone who has never actually worked in that sector, and hasn't been to university yet,

- they discredit your argument on the basis that you're a failure
- they mock you for having time to write about your "shortcomings"
- they then start making condescending statements about what you did wrong
- accuse you of 'stroking your ego'

how is that OK ?!

Why not just say...factually you're wrong about this, this and this. I know people who are doing really after IBD...etc etc

What people dont know about me is that I spent 2005-2006 on TSR working out how to get into Oxbridge and there were so many people who had been through it and posted about their experiences. Sometimes, it didn't correlate with what I had read or what I knew to be true, but not in a million years, would I have personally attacked someone like this. Its just so disrespectful and unnecessary.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by welcometoib
thats dead, damn. does she see this as long term?

Yeah I think so. Tbf it's only really that bad during the last week and a half of a big deal, well that's what she says.
OK...I am a dick. But only to people who I know can handle it. Forget about me.

More importantly...

You've just posted a massive account of your opinion of your last two years.

And you get told, by someone who has never actually worked in that sector, and hasn't been to university yet,

- they discredit your argument on the basis that you're a failure
- they mock you for having time to write about your "shortcomings"
- they then start making condescending statements about what you did wrong
- accuse you of 'stroking your ego'

how is that OK ?!

Why not just say...factually you're wrong about this, this and this. I know people who are doing really after IBD...etc etc

Lol, we get it man. It might have been a dickish post on my part, but I never said that the post was completely wrong did I? Hell, I even acknowledged it as an awesome post.

The tone just didn't strike me well, sue me for exercising freedom of speech.

Are you finally done? Because this thread is basically derailed now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

Nobody said it was ok.

I can recall that PPman acknowledged that was harsh and that it was an imformative post.

...factually you're wrong about this, this and this. I know people who are doing really after IBD...etc etc

He did.

Nonetheless, was there any need to throw such a hissy fit over a post?

Besides, I don't think you've added much to this thread apart from firing shots.
Lol, we get it man. It might have been a dickish post on my part, but I never said that the post was completely wrong did I? Hell, I even acknowledged it as an awesome post.

The tone just didn't strike me well, sue me for exercising freedom of speech.

Are you finally done? Because this thread is basically derailed now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Im sorry for doing what I accused you of doing (in part). But I was just a bit outraged.
@TSR Moderator @Schleigg @Carnationlilyrose

Hi....im sorry theres a lot of spam in this post now. Please could someone delete some of the posts. Thanks.
Yes. Im sorry for doing what I accused you of doing (in part). But I was just a bit outraged.

That is completely fair, I retract any ad hominems on my part as well. My apologies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for this post. Wish more people could come on TSR and be brutally honest. I hear this quite a bit, that's because a lot of my friends will just give it to me straight and not sugar coat it.
Thought OP's thoughts were already known by everyone? The reason why IB pays so well is because it is one of the worst jobs you can have.. for 99.9% of people that is. The 0.1% who like it are just weird. I've never known anyone in the IB industry to not take a really early retirement, often with health problems from the prolonged stress.
Original post by drowzee
Not that I have any experience with ib, but I know someone that used works in ib and let's just say his work-life balance was absolutely horrendous. He quit after 7 years. Took him three years to find another job... :/ Also my sister's bf is a trader, and a lot of his banker friends hardly have a life.

3 years?! Was that due to his skill set or another reason?
Love the way this thread spiralled out of control. Typical day in banking tbh
Reply 57
Mathematics (B)French (D)Physics (C)Higher Computing (C)

WTF IS THAT?!

You talk as if you're first class Oxbridge, you're nobody?!

How can you be so rude to someone who has way more experience than you. You just spend your time salivating over people's LinkedIn all day long...

Love how this thread has devolved into a big cock joust :lol:
3/4 days back here and I remember why I quit, being told how my job works by people ten years younger than me. So jokes
Original post by MAINE.
Love how this thread has devolved into a big cock joust :lol:

Awesome Genius should make a thread calling Princepieman out. Ayyy lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending