Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneymania999)
    Hi Jonny would you say that Southampton is better than Swansea?
    Does Southampton have like its own labs and practice suites.
    I am not sure on the details of the Swansea course but I am not sure that it is accredited? Southampton however is. Southampton also uses a number of world class hospitals for its placements (Southamtpton General, John Radcliffe in Oxford and Thomas' in London) as well as other large centres such as QAH in Portsmouth. These allow you to experience loads on placement!

The course is based within the medical school at Southampton General so we are completely immersed in the world of healthcare. It also means we are able to benefit from the facilities there such as the Health Library and the Anatomy suite.

Next to the Anatomy suite there are 2 rooms dedicated to our course. One is a class room where most of the lectures occur (they're more like A level classes as group is so small). Next door is the Skills lab where we learn our practical skills. The lab contains all the equipment we are trained to use except for a Cath lab! So we have ECG machines, treadmills, ambulatory devices, ECG analysers, pacemakers and ECHO machines. We use this room regularly and people are paid to come in and run scenarios for us.

Finally the course makes the most of the expertise at the hospital, for example in the pathophysiology module in 2nd year you are lectured by consultants and leading researchers on a variety of topics. We have also had visiting lecturers on niche subjects such a Cardiac pharmacology, clinical perfusion and congenital disease which allows us to set ourselves from others when it comes to jobs (graduates last year all had multiple job offers). It isnt just lectures either you can also go and see post mortems and visit cardiac theatres!

Here are 2 videos which show you our facilities.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7Aa2mmcDs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv0Xw-ew8cs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny456)
    I am not sure on the details of the Swansea course but I am not sure that it is accredited? Southampton however is. Southampton also uses a number of world class hospitals for its placements (Southamtpton General, John Radcliffe in Oxford and Thomas' in London) as well as other large centres such as QAH in Portsmouth. These allow you to experience loads on placement!

The course is based within the medical school at Southampton General so we are completely immersed in the world of healthcare. It also means we are able to benefit from the facilities there such as the Health Library and the Anatomy suite.

Next to the Anatomy suite there are 2 rooms dedicated to our course. One is a class room where most of the lectures occur (they're more like A level classes as group is so small). Next door is the Skills lab where we learn our practical skills. The lab contains all the equipment we are trained to use except for a Cath lab! So we have ECG machines, treadmills, ambulatory devices, ECG analysers, pacemakers and ECHO machines. We use this room regularly and people are paid to come in and run scenarios for us.

Finally the course makes the most of the expertise at the hospital, for example in the pathophysiology module in 2nd year you are lectured by consultants and leading researchers on a variety of topics. We have also had visiting lecturers on niche subjects such a Cardiac pharmacology, clinical perfusion and congenital disease which allows us to set ourselves from others when it comes to jobs (graduates last year all had multiple job offers). It isnt just lectures either you can also go and see post mortems and visit cardiac theatres!

Here are 2 videos which show you our facilities.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7Aa2mmcDs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv0Xw-ew8cs
    Many thanks for this reply. Swansea and Southampton are the only universities which interest me and are the only ones accredited. I have also applied for Leeds, Wolverhampton and Middlesex. Hopefully I will check once I get the offers in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baxter76)
    I'm doing sport and exercise science and biology, when is your interview at UWE? Good luck with your interviews, your choices sound really interesting!
    Nice! Its on the 16th, thank you! You too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonny456)
    Hey Guys I am a final year at Southampton. So am happy to answer any questions about the course/career.

I also cannot recommend Southampton enough. Not only do they train you (very well) in the essential aspects of becoming a cardiac physiologist but also throw in lots of extras to make you more employable. So for example we spent yesterday in Cardiac theatres and last week had a lectures/practical session from a Clinical perfusionist. Last year everyone that graduated had multiple job offers!

Jonny
    Hi!

Where else did you apply when you were in our position (if you dont mind me asking) and what made Southampton stand out the most for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beans_0402)
    Hi!

Where else did you apply when you were in our position (if you dont mind me asking) and what made Southampton stand out the most for you?
    I actually only applied for 1 Cardiac Physiology course. I set out to apply to do Physiotherapy and came to the Southampton open day. Richard (the programme lead for Cardiac) then started talking to all the prospective physio students and I was captivated by the career primarily which I had never heard of, his enthusiasm and the university (the reasons I mentioned above). From then on I couldn't decide between physio and Cardiac so only applied for Southampton for cardiac. I dropped a grade so didnt get into physio but Southampton still took me. I should add that that would not happen now as the course is far more popular and it is very oversubscribed!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard back from Leeds? They said they won't be making any decisions until after the January deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Im applying to Swansea, Southampton, Middlesex, Wolverhampton and Leeds. Does anyone think that its risky if my sixth form sends my ucas off in jan. I know Southampton has a selection day in December but thats all booked and next one is in Jan. Help please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beans_0402)
    Have any of you guys been invited to the selection day in December?
    I've been invited to the selection day! So nervous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jtavinuya)
    Has anybody heard back from Leeds? They said they won't be making any decisions until after the January deadline.
    No I haven't I thought that we would have heard from them by now? They said that they were going to send out interviews soon!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody actually got any offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody actually got any offers yet?
    I've got interviews.. but that's it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ctwinley)
    I've got interviews.. but that's it!
    Ahhhh where?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh where?
    So far Southampton, Middlesex and Manchester Metropolitan! Leeds have said that they're going to give interviews out anytime now but I haven't heard anything? :/ what about you?

ReputationRep:
    So far Southampton, Middlesex and Manchester Metropolitan! Leeds have said that they're going to give interviews out anytime now but I haven't heard anything? :/ what about you?
    Southampton middlesex and uwe that's odd cos i rang leeds up and the lady was all yeah we aren't deciding anything until after the deadline ??

ReputationRep:
    Southampton middlesex and uwe that's odd cos i rang leeds up and the lady was all yeah we aren't deciding anything until after the deadline ??
    Ah cool! Might see you at the Southampton and Middlesex interview days?? and that's weird.. did they not mention any interviews??

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool! Might see you at the Southampton and Middlesex interview days?? and that's weird.. did they not mention any interviews??
    ahhhh damn you guys are lucky, my teachers haven't even sent the ucas off.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Cardiac Physiology too
    Congratulations to the people who've got interviews. How soon did you hear back from them? I haven't heard anything yet but then my school only sent my application off last week

ReputationRep:
    I've been invited to the selection day! So nervous
    Aw, I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe I'll see you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matty_0206)
    Congratulations to the people who've got interviews. How soon did you hear back from them? I haven't heard anything yet but then my school only sent my application off last week
    It took about 3 weeks for Southampton to get back to me. Where else have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matty_0206)
    It took about 3 weeks for mine to come through as well so I think you should be alright

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.