Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    They can be similar of course but it's more likely that someone of your own ethnicity will be more similar to you. I'm just saying that I personally prefer to date people who have been brought up on similar values, a similar cultural background, they studied similar things in school and ate similar foods when they were growing up. Little things like that. Plus I'm not as physically attracted to people who are not the same race as me.

A close friend of mine is South Asian, dating a South Asian girl and although he comes from a very liberal upbringing, he does tell me how there are many cultural nuances/issues that he runs into in his relationship that simply don't exist for Europeans for example.

Also funnily enough, even though most of the responses on here have been yes to dating outside their race, I can't say that it happens as much in real life as people seem to claim on here.
    Assuming you are a white British person, how would a black British person be culturally different to you/raised on different value/studied other things in school etc? ....... We are talking about race, being of a different race doesn't mean they are from a diffeent culture

The reason it doesnt happen as much as people are saying isnt because everyone in here is lying, its because the vast majority of people are white in this country so only a minority of people will end up dating someone outside their race, its just statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Yes mostly

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'd happily date outside my race. I already am. Although, I am mixed-race I guess. So...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I'm obsessed about food
    Illiberal Liberal
    i will buy you fish n chips

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I don't ever want to date a guy of my race, I just don't find them attractive, both physically and their personalities - their stereotypes are usually true lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    i will buy you fish n chips
    I only eat proper home cooked meals.

(Original post by Proxenus)
    Whats your race? I'll assume white.

I'd like the think majority of different raced people in the UK have similar values, not as cultural as you think, study similar things in school and actually eat/ don't mind your kind of foods.

I can see where you're coming from as half the people of one of my campuses are east asian and they all stick together in groups but I am willing to give them a chance to see how things go as I have nothing to lose - its a win- win situation. doesn't work out? you learn new things and maybe how you could have improved. if it does? nice

you say you're not attracted to people who are not the same race as you. You're missing out :/
    Yes white.

But this is where I disagree: people are different. Yeah they might go to the same schools (though differences can arise between those educated at an expensive private school vs a 'normal' school) but they can still have very different home lives. If their parents are traditional and keep to the customs of their native culture, then this will obviously also affect the children.

Example 1: pork is a very common meat in British and European cuisine, yet for those from the Middle East or India it is virtually non-existent in their cuisine. Flipside: a lot of people from South Asia eat "curries" (I know it's a broad term for a lot of different dishes) very frequently, while as for someone from outside that culture this might be a dish that they only have occasionally.

Example 2: A colleague of mine is Bengali. He was telling us how in advance of his marriage, all the men from his side of the family and the men from her side of the family would get together to agree on a dowry to be paid for him marrying his wife to be. In European cultures for example this entire thing wouldn't exist at all.

Example 3: I have quite a few Muslim people at my company and all of them have married/will marry/would only consider another Muslim person. Similar story with those of an Indian heritage: they only date/marry others of a similar background.

And your last point, let me put it this way: Is choosing your pool of partners based on their ethnicity any different than saying you prefer a certain color or length of hair, a certain body type, certain height criteria? Everybody has their preferences.

(Original post by driftawaay)
    Assuming you are a white British person, how would a black British person be culturally different to you/raised on different value/studied other things in school etc? ....... We are talking about race, being of a different race doesn't mean they are from a diffeent culture

The reason it doesnt happen as much as people are saying isnt because everyone in here is lying, its because the vast majority of people are white in this country so only a minority of people will end up dating someone outside their race, its just statistics.
    White European actually. I'm originally from a country where non white people are almost completely absent, save for those who come to visit as tourists and probably 80-90% of people have blue eyes, just to give you an idea of the ethnic diversity (or lack thereof) of where I'm from.

See my point above about how people in the same country can have different upbringings.

ReputationRep:
    I only eat proper home cooked meals.
    r u sure?

what have u been eating for dinner the last 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
    r u sure?

what have u been eating for dinner the last 2 years?
    Obviously if I'm not at home I have no choice but to eat whatever I buy at the supermarket

ReputationRep:
    Obviously if I'm not at home I have no choice but to eat whatever I buy at the supermarket
    so u do not "only eat proper home cooked meals"

tyvm

ReputationRep:
    Race isn't even a factor.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I have done and would do again. Race isn't an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would, but I dont think my parents would approve, so maybe not

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes white.

But this is where I disagree: people are different. Yeah they might go to the same schools (though differences can arise between those educated at an expensive private school vs a 'normal' school) but they can still have very different home lives. If their parents are traditional and keep to the customs of their native culture, then this will obviously also affect the children.
    You sound like a racist and a classist. 'Differences between those educated at private vs normal school', so you wouldn't date someone who didn't go to your kind of school either? Lol. Also, as I said we are taling about race, a black person's parents could have been born in the UK themselves, therefore they wouldn't keep the customs of their native culture, and even if their parents are from a difficult culture and kept their customs, that doesn't mean they haven't adapted to British customs as well. Also, not everyone followes their parents' beliefs/traditions, some people downright reject them.

Example 1: pork is a very common meat in British and European cuisine, yet for those from the Middle East or India it is virtually non-existent in their cuisine. Flipside: a lot of people from South Asia eat "curries" (I know it's a broad term for a lot of different dishes) very frequently, while as for someone from outside that culture this might be a dish that they only have occasionally.
    I am European and and my family eats pork however I don't because I find it disgusting. Not every British or European person eats pork, so would you not date someone who doesn't eat pork? Would you not date a vegetarian? Do you seriously take into consideration what sort of things your potential partners' eat?

Example 2: A colleague of mine is Bengali. He was telling us how in advance of his marriage, all the men from his side of the family and the men from her side of the family would get together to agree on a dowry to be paid for him marrying his wife to be. In European cultures for example this entire thing wouldn't exist at all.
    Cool story, irrelevant though, as we are talking about race.

Example 3: I have quite a few Muslim people at my company and all of them have married/will marry/would only consider another Muslim person. Similar story with those of an Indian heritage: they only date/marry others of a similar background.
    The question was, would you date outside of your race, not whether your coworkers would date outside of their race. Hint: Muslim is not a race, caucasian people can be Muslim. Also, Indian people are caucasian, the same race as you.. so again, completely irrelevant. Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of Muslims or Indians who would date outside of their religion, especially if they were raised in the UK.

And your last point, let me put it this way: Is choosing your pool of partners based on their ethnicity any different than saying you prefer a certain color or length of hair, a certain body type, certain height criteria? Everybody has their preferences.
    No, it isn't. I was pointing out how race is not the same as culture and religion.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter to me much. I think religion plays a bigger role for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    You are fudu bandha fudu
    So rude
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eoe)
    So rude
    why?
    It's an inside joke me and Lord Samosa have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    It's an inside joke me and Lord Samosa have
    Oh Thats fine

(Original post by driftawaay)
    You sound like a racist and a classist. 'Differences between those educated at private vs normal school', so you wouldn't date someone who didn't go to your kind of school either? Lol. Also, as I said we are taling about race, a black person's parents could have been born in the UK themselves, therefore they wouldn't keep the customs of their native culture, and even if their parents are from a difficult culture and kept their customs, that doesn't mean they haven't adapted to British customs as well. Also, not everyone followes their parents' beliefs/traditions, some people downright reject them.

I am European and and my family eats pork however I don't because I find it disgusting. Not every British or European person eats pork, so would you not date someone who doesn't eat pork? Would you not date a vegetarian? Do you seriously take into consideration what sort of things your potential partners' eat?

Cool story, irrelevant though, as we are talking about race.

The question was, would you date outside of your race, not whether your coworkers would date outside of their race. Hint: Muslim is not a race, caucasian people can be Muslim. Also, Indian people are caucasian, the same race as you.. so again, completely irrelevant. Not to mention the fact that there are plenty of Muslims or Indians who would date outside of their religion, especially if they were raised in the UK.

No, it isn't. I was pointing out how race is not the same as culture and religion.
    Maybe 'race' isn't the right word then for what I'm trying to describe. Cultural/religious/ethnic background differences are what I'm referring to and often times (though not in every case) these differences are also racial. I think you're splitting hairs here and ignoring the main point of what I'm getting at.

I know very well that 'Muslim' isn't a race, yet I have yet to meet a Muslim who is European as opposed to being Middle Eastern/South Asian.
    And Indian people being the same race as Europeans? Umm....no they're not.

I'm not racist in any way, I don't look down on people of different backgrounds or anything like that. I have plenty of friends from all sorts of cultures/ethnicities/religions. However when it comes to dating, I'd like my partner to be of a similar cultural/ethnic/religious (well in my case lack of religion) background and that's just my preference. Just like how some people prefer to date people of a certain height, body type, whatever.

Since you're so into the details of what were meant to be just examples of differences: well no I wouldn't date a vegetarian or someone who doesn't eat pork. I just made an amazing pork roast with crackling and I'd like to cook it one day for my partner.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.