The Student Room Group

older users of TSR, what did you study at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kokoloko
how did you find the course itself? although i don't think thats a route I'll be taking.
ah right, hopefully so aha

Yeah, for you I wouldn't recommend it - you can find something more appropriate to your subjects. However, I did enjoy the course. I was running my own marketing agency at the time, so I could put what I learnt into practice straight away and it worked.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the over reliance on group course work. It was used as a way to bring the overall grades of the course up, but undoubtedly would have dragged down the grade of the best students pulling up the ones who couldn't really be bothered. Just made it all much more work - there was always someone who didn't do their bit, and you had to do it for them or you'd all suffer.

The actual subject was really interesting to me and it has served me very well in the work place since.
Reply 41
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
For me personally yes, but then again I've always loved chemistry and knew I'd study it at Uni since primary school. Other people end up hating it even more because it does get a lot harder.

but surely that is to be expected, it getting harder but its true, if you like it you'll find ways to plough through
Reply 42
Original post by Paulwyn
Did International Politics and Strategic Studies at Aberystwyth 2003-2006. Chose solely because I saw it on University Challenge and loved the sound of it

Pros: Amazing course, with world renowned lecturers in the field, lived in a beautiful town on the seafront and (surprisingly) great bars and underground EDM scene
Cons (or more accurately regrets): i would say this to anyone starting or thinking about uni, join everything and follow through, get into sports, even if you aren't sporty i.e. Ultimate Frisbee or Extreme Ironing. I didn't take this advice and it is my one sole regret.

absolutely love UC! haha
weighing up your pros and cons, your pros win by a long shot. lucky you
Reply 43
Original post by Captain Jack
Yeah, for you I wouldn't recommend it - you can find something more appropriate to your subjects. However, I did enjoy the course. I was running my own marketing agency at the time, so I could put what I learnt into practice straight away and it worked.

The only thing I didn't like about it was the over reliance on group course work. It was used as a way to bring the overall grades of the course up, but undoubtedly would have dragged down the grade of the best students pulling up the ones who couldn't really be bothered. Just made it all much more work - there was always someone who didn't do their bit, and you had to do it for them or you'd all suffer.

The actual subject was really interesting to me and it has served me very well in the work place since.

and may i ask what it is that you do now? yeah i can imagine that being a nuisance. bad enough for me now lol, those pesky no-gooders
which uni was that at?

Reading
whys that? and what do you like most

I want to work in cyber security so wanted to learn more about that but I'm doing more networking (its set modules so you can't choose the ones you do). I just wish I had more security based modules.
The course is really interesting though so thats good and I have opportunites to gain external professional qualifications.
Original post by TeeEm
Mathematics with Theoretical Physics at UCL
Retired now, teach maths privately a little bit of maths still

I wish more universities did this course. The only courses I could find at the universities I wanted to go to were Mathematics with Mathematical Physics, Physics with Theoretical Physics, straight Mathematics or Physics/Maths dual honours.
and may i ask what it is that you do now? yeah i can imagine that being a nuisance. bad enough for me now lol, those pesky no-gooders

I'm the community director at The Student Room, which sits within the marketing department. I manage the content and community teams (7 full time people, 2 part time and all of our volunteers). Community is basically another name for social media manager, for easy comparison.
I have a BSc in Psychology and English Language from Aston University and am, currently, a first year Mental Health Nurse at BCU.
I'm currently in sixth form, year 12, haven't a clue what to study in uni (taking physics maths chemistry and french now) and I've not found any questions asking what other people studied so i thought id give it a shot

if you could tell me what you studied, what you enjoyed/didnt enjoy, contact/non contact hours, and any other funky jazz id be really interested to hear

cheers

Another TSR staff member here!! I now work as a Data Analyst for TSR.

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Business Studies, and Computing at Sixth form.
I then studied BSc Mathematics at the University of Exeter.

I would say if you don't have any clue what you want to do as a career then Maths is a good idea as it's a well respected degree which can help you in many careers :smile:
I had around 12 hours of lectures a week, and a fair amount of coursework.
what made you hate it?

It wasn't enjoyable for me. Most of the contents are not my interest. Media isn't exactly well respected so not easy to look for job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jenhasdreams

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Business Studies, and Computing at Sixth form.

I would say if you don't have any clue what you want to do as a career then Maths is a good idea as it's a well respected degree which can help you in many careers :smile:

What is that like?
Reply 52
Original post by Paulwyn
Did International Politics and Strategic Studies at Aberystwyth 2003-2006. Chose solely because I saw it on University Challenge and loved the sound of it

Pros: Amazing course, with world renowned lecturers in the field, lived in a beautiful town on the seafront and (surprisingly) great bars and underground EDM scene
Cons (or more accurately regrets): i would say this to anyone starting or thinking about uni, join everything and follow through, get into sports, even if you aren't sporty i.e. Ultimate Frisbee or Extreme Ironing. I didn't take this advice and it is my one sole regret.

Extreme Ironing sounds freakin' fantastic.
Original post by elen90
Extreme Ironing sounds freakin' fantastic.

Stupidly brilliant [video="youtube;njHE4S-HD3I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHE4S-HD3I[/video]
x

I would second the maths recommendation, it is such a valuable skill in any job.

Also because this could later become an option to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3668671&p=60037635#post60037635

Original post by Paulwyn
Stupidly brilliant [video="youtube;njHE4S-HD3I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHE4S-HD3I[/video]

That is brilliant!
Original post by Paulwyn

Pros: Amazing course, with world renowned lecturers in the field

World-renowned lecturers at Aberystwyth. Are you sure?
Reply 56
Original post by Captain Jack
I would second the maths recommendation, it is such a valuable skill in any job.

Also because this could later become an option to you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3668671&p=60037635#post60037635

That is brilliant!

when i read 'extreme ironing' i was NOT expecting it to be...extreme ironing hahaha just as 'curling' is nothing to do with hairstyling.
Reply 57

I'm looking into maths as well as international management (and french) but a lot can change in a few months
thanks (:
Original post by callum_law
World-renowned lecturers at Aberystwyth. Are you sure?

a) this was 2003

b) this is within International Relations in which it was the worlds first dedicated department for International Relations- anyone how has studied IR would have been sumitted to 'Globalisation of World Politics' by John Baylis and Steve Smith...both lecturers at Aber

c) don't be a RG snob
Original post by scrawlx101
anyone do psychology?

I'm currently in my first year studying Psychology!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending