Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Gifted-)
    I feel the pass mark for PAT in engineering may be lower than that of Physics? Do u not agree? As PAT is primarily designed for Physics. I think engineering admission tutors purely use the PAT for shortlisting. But, I may be wrong.
    I believe that is the case

(Original post by theonetruequeen)
    I was wondering, do the colleges look at our total or do they look at our section scores as well? For example, say the passing mark was something like 65 and I ended up with 45 in maths and 20 odd in physics, would my low physics mark disadvantage my application?
    From reading through some reports it would seem that they short list people who get over a certain mark (I worked out the average of the all so far is 54) and they also short list people who didn't do well in the PAT but stand out elsewhere. I also read that they short list people who do exceptionally well in one but not the other.

'All applicantsscoring above 45 were then short-listed, as were asmall number of applicants who had scoredparticularly well on one test but not on the other.A small number of applicants below this cut-offwho showed other evidence of excellence wereadded to give a final short-list of around 500 candidates who will be invited to Oxford for interview' - PAT REPORT 2006

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skygliderjack)
    I believe that is the case

From reading through some reports it would seem that they short list people who get over a certain mark (I worked out the average of the all so far is 54) and they also short list people who didn't do well in the PAT but stand out elsewhere. I also read that they short list people who do exceptionally well in one but not the other.

'All applicantsscoring above 45 were then short-listed, as were asmall number of applicants who had scoredparticularly well on one test but not on the other.A small number of applicants below this cut-offwho showed other evidence of excellence wereadded to give a final short-list of around 500 candidates who will be invited to Oxford for interview' - PAT REPORT 2006
    To be fair, that was 9 years ago.

Still... It kind of relieves me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone get a material science email as a second choice degree to physics?

ReputationRep:
    Hi PAT people,

In addition to the excellent links that were posted above, I (and a former colleague) have made video walkthroughs of a number of PAT past papers (only the physics sections). These can be found here: http://cowenphysics.com/oxford-pat/

I'm hoping to add 2014 solutions in the next week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrcowentweets)
    Hi PAT people,

In addition to the excellent links that were posted above, I (and a former colleague) have made video walkthroughs of a number of PAT past papers (only the physics sections). These can be found here: http://cowenphysics.com/oxford-pat/

I'm hoping to add 2014 solutions in the next week.
    This is really useful!! Thank you so much

Could you update us once 2014 solutions are uploaded?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Anyone get a material science email as a second choice degree to physics?
    Yaas I did but I'm not sure about it bc I haven't done AS or A2 chemistry... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starstuff)
    Yaas I did but I'm not sure about it bc I haven't done AS or A2 chemistry... :/
    I'm not applying for it. Know nothing about materials haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm not applying for it. Know nothing about materials haha
    I did a little on materials at GCSE but apart from that I know nothing too

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone's revision going?

ReputationRep:
    Really beginning to regret actually going through with applying

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone's revision going?
    I've been studying like crazy for a whole week now, but I also feel great bc I know the more I practice, the better prepared I'll be c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermionegrangcr)
    I've been studying like crazy for a whole week now, but I also feel great bc I know the more I practice, the better prepared I'll be c:
    If you don't mind me asking what type of stuff are you actually studying? I am trying to save past papers and don't even know what to cover :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Gifted-)
    If you don't mind me asking what type of stuff are you actually studying? I am trying to save past papers and don't even know what to cover :/
    PAT Syllabus:

http://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/study-h...t/pat-syllabus

Also the person who replied a few posts back has compiled an amazing list of websites:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post60075419

The PAT format changed this year so I'm just saving the 2015 Specimen Paper for a proper timed practice (I did the other past papers as well for time management and revision).

As for specific topics, I'm mainly revising the modules I didn't cover in IB Physics e.g. rotational dynamics and eclipses

ReputationRep:
    Commenting on this to bookmark it for reference - I'm a Brasenose College Physics applicant I'm glad I'm not the only one getting disproportionately distributed marks! My maths sections are always waaaay better than my Physics - although, my school teaches Advancing Physics B, which seems to have a hugely different content to the main Physics Syllabi Cheers for the links!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone also doing the November 7th SAT? Or the November 5th UKMT? It looks to be an interesting week coming up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlesisbozo)
    Is anyone also doing the November 7th SAT? Or the November 5th UKMT? It looks to be an interesting week coming up!
    My brain is going to explode next week..... Got imperial interview the week after as well😩

ReputationRep:
    Me. And I barely have time to prepare for the Nov. 7th SAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermionegrangcr)
    Me. And I barely have time to prepare for the Nov. 7th SAT
    I was going to do the SAT actually, but after I decided to apply to Oxford, I had to postpone my date to Dec. 5th

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, fortunately I am doing my maths and physics subject tests, so the PAT is preparing me

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do the UNIQ physics summer school?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.