Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Alright, I think my idea of fat is skewed to the more extreme side of things.
    Although it seems hypocritical that someone who isn't the picture of healthy living themselves is advocating the idea, I think it's besides the point. If it's a good idea, then it is so for its own sake, regardless of what Jamie Oliver thinks.
    Why shall only perfectly athletic people be able to promote healthy food?

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Awesome. Discriminate against athletes who eat sugar for energy. We have too many of those.
    Yeah, because athletes eat the food he is actually talking about...the problem is not sugar in bred/apples and chicken, but those little infants getting a coke per meal or processed food having way more than normal amounts of sugar, fat, etc. !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I wouldn't mind if the tax revenues went on subsidising healthy alternatives.
    Neither would I, or if they could ensure they were easily available. Try buying fruit after 7 or 8pm at night- a lot more difficult than chocolate or burgers.

As for Jamie Oliver, I was supportive of his campaign on school meals, but do find his Mockney persona annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    Why shall only perfectly athletic people be able to promote healthy food?

Yeah, because athletes eat the food he is actually talking about...the problem is not sugar in bred/apples and chicken, but those little infants getting a coke per meal or processed food having way more than normal amounts of sugar, fat, etc. !
    yes they drink lucazade and other really sugary stuff. Have a look at every Wimbledon game.

and the michael phelps diet for example.

They need to stop trying to punish people by making it harder to survive. The governments already cut everyone's income and disabled benefits etc. Now they're trying to starve us too lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    He isn't fat anymore. Not like you can blame a chef for being fat anyway but whatever...

As Viva said, as long as it goes to subsiding healthy alternatives then it's a good idea (and this comes from a crisp junkie).

There's too many obese people in this country.
    Yes there are too many obese people in this country, but why should I and other people be "punished" for this with taxes?! I happen to enjoy chocolate and other goodies but I don't agree with me being taxed more than I already am just because a fat people cannot put down the cake or step away from the chocolate!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh "The Michael Phelps Diet" which coincidentally is a complete myth. Well done.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.ViVVe34UXIU

Not that using athletes is a good example anyway. They need tons of calories because of the amount of physical exercise they do each day. The average person does not and therefore should not be eating a **** ton.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh "The Michael Phelps Diet" which coincidentally is a complete myth. Well done.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.ViVVe34UXIU

Not that using athletes is a good example anyway. They need tons of calories because of the amount of physical exercise they do each day. The average person does not and therefore should not be eating a **** ton.
    The average person shouldn't be punished for literally no reason.

ReputationRep:
    The average person shouldn't be punished for literally no reason.
    The average person in Britain is fat or unhealthy so yes they should.

Not to mention money going towards preventing obesity could ultimately save you money from putting less stress on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    yes they drink lucazade and other really sugary stuff. Have a look at every Wimbledon game.

and the michael phelps diet for example.

They need to stop trying to punish people by making it harder to survive. The governments already cut everyone's income and disabled benefits etc. Now they're trying to starve us too lmao.
    They not going to starve you ... please read around, what foods are actually meant. Forcing poor people to eat bad food, because that is the cheapest one available (or seems to be cheaper, often self-cooking is not more expensive) or there is simply no incentive to buy the as expensive/cheap alternative in addition to not promoting knowledge about what good food actually is: That is looking down on the poor.

Athletes only drink those during competitions, not regularly. During training they have more time for full meals, than during a competition like Wimbledon and don't need those drinks to that amount. (Apple juice with water is already really good.) Usually athletes eat a lot, but the meals are well balanced and very healthy. In addition they have the benefit to need so much calories a day, that it does not hurt that much. (And even then, it is often high quality food.)

ReputationRep:
    He was close to having excessive fat in the picture which showed him... not having excessive fat? I think you need to educate yourself on what exactly obesity is.
    I'm well aware 'what exactly obesity is'. A few months back I had a BMI of over 29. I know how fat he is in that picture. But keep telling yourself he's only 'close' to having excessive fat in the picture if it makes you feel better. I mean seriously. You are that transparent. Don't reply the same **** to me again if you're still in denial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I'm well aware 'what exactly obesity is'. A few months back I had a BMI of over 29. I know how fat he is in that picture. But keep telling yourself he's only 'close' to having excessive fat in the picture if it makes you feel better. I mean seriously. You are that transparent. Don't reply the same **** to me again if you're still in denial.
    Clearly not you complete and utter fool. Demonstrated by the fact that you think BMI accurately represents obesity. According to the BMI scale someone with more muscle than fat could be considered "obese".

Secondly, you're also talking nonsense if you claim to know how fat he is on the basis of looking at what, one arm and his face? Neither of which display excessive fat. Not only that but you can't even read and comprehend a small paragraph adequately. I never said said he was 'close' to having excessive fat. I was countering someone else's claim that he was. But keep embarrassing yourself, this is great.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not you complete and utter fool. Demonstrated by the fact that you think BMI accurately represents obesity. According to the BMI scale someone with more muscle than fat could be considered "obese".

Secondly, you're also talking nonsense if you claim to know how fat he is on the basis of looking at what, one arm and his face? Neither of which display excessive fat. Not only that but you can't even read and comprehend a small paragraph adequately. I never said said he was 'close' to having excessive fat. I was countering someone else's claim that he was. But keep embarrassing yourself, this is great.
    Yeah, I'm sure that's all muscle. Totally looks like it.

Deluded.

Who needs to pay attention to BMI when you can tell yourself it doesn't apply to you? You must be pretty far gone to be telling yourself that nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm sure that's all muscle. Totally looks like it.

Deluded.

Who needs to pay attention to BMI when you can tell yourself it doesn't apply to you? You must be pretty far gone to be telling yourself that nonsense.
    Again, learn to read. I never claimed he had muscle. Purely that muscle, in general can skew BMI readings to cause in inaccurate reading.

I don't have a BMI anywhere near 30 so I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make. You however did have a BMI of around 30 but I can pretty much assume that you had neither the height nor the muscle to compensate for it.

Tell me, are you bitter? Because you sound it.

ReputationRep:
    Again, learn to read. I never claimed he had muscle. Purely that muscle, in general can skew BMI readings to cause in inaccurate reading.
    And that was therefore relevant to what I was saying how? I said I could guess his BMI was getting up towards obese by looking at his picture (which is not at all difficult or controversial, by the way). You replied with that line about muscle and BMI being inaccurate. So unless you were attempting to suggest he is too muscular in that picture for BMI to apply, there was absolutely zero point in you objecting to my mentioning of BMI.

I don't have a BMI anywhere near 30 so I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make.
    Your overly defensive posts suggest otherwise.

You however did have a BMI of around 30
    That is what I said, yes. Are you seriously trying to use that as a jibe when I literally just said it myself? And strongly implied I no longer have a BMI of around 30? Do I sound like I'm somehow ashamed of having previously had a BMI of around 30?

but I can pretty much assume that you had neither the height nor the muscle to compensate for it.
    Exactly how tall do you think you need to be to start 'compensating' for a high BMI? I'm a height where BMI is a perfectly useful indicator of fatness. Just like 99.99999% of the population.

Tell me, are you bitter? Because you sound it.
    Bitter about what, sorry? You're being transparent again. Juvenile attempts at winding up the other person so they concede the debate don't really work too well on me, lad.

ReputationRep:
    And that was therefore relevant to what I was saying how? I said I could guess his BMI was getting up towards obese by looking at his picture (which is not at all difficult or controversial, by the way). You replied with that line about muscle and BMI being inaccurate. So unless you were attempting to suggest he is too muscular in that picture for BMI to apply, there was absolutely zero point in you objecting to my mentioning of BMI.

Your overly defensive posts suggest otherwise.

That is what I said, yes. Are you seriously trying to use that as a jibe when I literally just said it myself? And strongly implied I no longer have a BMI of around 30? Do I sound like I'm somehow ashamed of having previously had a BMI of around 30?

Exactly how tall do you think you need to be to start 'compensating' for a high BMI? I'm a height where BMI is a perfectly useful indicator of fatness. Just like 99.99999% of the population.

Bitter about what, sorry? You're being transparent again. Juvenile attempts at winding up the other person so they concede the debate don't really work too well on me, lad.
    Because we were talking about him being actually obese. Therefore you coming in and talking about BMI is completely irrelevant. He may very well be considered "obese" by BMI standards but that means very little. You can see from that picture that he does not have excessive fat. Muscle density is just one example of the overall ineffectiveness of the BMI scale.

My overly defensive posts? Let me guess, you got a C in GCSE psychology didn't you? Being annoyed by stupidity does not make someone overly-defensive.

Yes actually you do sound ashamed. If you weren't ashamed, then why did you decide the lose the weight in the first place? Are you going to lie and claim you suddenly had an epiphany and wanted to be healthier? And you're very much bitter. It's clear for all to see how obesity is a touchy subject for you. One only has to take a glance at your post history.

Oh and I have some more bad news for you love. You may not be fat anymore but you will be fat again sooner or later. You see, when you were wolfing down all those cake and biscuits you were stretching your fat cells to such a degree that new fat cells had to be created. And guess what? They never go away again. Ultimately making it easier to gain fat back.

So I hope you're ready for the long haul. You've only been non-obese for a few months now. You're going to have to continue your hard work and diet for a loooong time or regress back to your previous state.

I sincerely wish you good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    He's a chef. He deals with food all day. I think he's in pretty good shape considering. He's certainly not unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    Because we were talking about him being actually obese. Therefore you coming in and talking about BMI is completely irrelevant. He may very well be considered "obese" by BMI standards but that means very little. You can see from that picture that he does not have excessive fat. Muscle density is just one example of the overall ineffectiveness of the BMI scale.
    Sorry, who was talking about him being 'actually obese'? Stop trying to shift the goalposts. You're saying he doesn't have excessive fat in that picture. I'm far from the only one in this thread that disagrees with you. Saying it over and over again doesn't make you correct. And BMI is very useful for most people. You and Jamie Oliver are not the two magic exceptions. And if BMI is so inaccurate, however are you going to attempt to make me feel bad about a past BMI near 30 going forward?

My overly defensive posts? Let me guess, you got a C in GCSE psychology didn't you? Being annoyed by stupidity does not make someone overly-defensive.
    By the same token, being annoyed by stupidity does not make someone 'bitter'... and your posts do not read as someone annoyed by stupidity. You sound far too invested in peddling the 'BMI is useless' bro-science rubbish where it is irrelevant for that.

Yes actually you do sound ashamed. If you weren't ashamed, then why did you decide the lose the weight in the first place? Are you going to lie and claim you suddenly had an epiphany and wanted to be healthier?
    You're trying to run with the idea that I sound ashamed now by reasoning that I must have been ashamed of my weight in order to lose weight before? Are you even running your own arguments through your head before posting at this point?

Incidentally, no, I was never ashamed. I suddenly realised I had got far bigger than I used to be (via a photo or two, and clothes getting tight - so yes, a relatively 'sudden' epiphany) and bigger than I wanted to look, so I lost weight.

And you're very much bitter. It's clear for all to see how obesity is a touchy subject for you. One only has to take a glance at your post history.
    Lazy people who make excuses annoy me. That doesn't make it a 'touchy' subject for me, though anyone can see that you're just trying to wind me up with that comment (and most of the others in this post). One might suspect it was an attempt at deflection.

Please, tell me about my post history. I don't recall posting about weight loss or being overweight, actually... shooting from the hip, now, are we? Why so desperate?

Oh and I have some more bad news for you love. You may not be fat anymore but you will be fat again sooner or later. You see, when you were wolfing down all those cake and biscuits you were stretching your fat cells to such a degree that new fat cells had to be created. And guess what? They never go away again. Ultimately making it easier to gain fat back.
    Oh, I'm still a bit fat but it's a work in progress. Steadily making my way down. If you'd actually looked at my posting history you'd perhaps realise you're attempting to scare a qualified fitness instructor and medic with this BS. Good job, Sherlock.

So I hope you're ready for the long haul. You've only been non-obese for a few months now. You're going to have to continue your hard work and diet for a loooong time or regress back to your previous state.

I sincerely wish you good luck.
    I've only been non-obese for a few months now, eh? The more you post the more obvious it is that you criticise BMI while never having had even the most basic understanding of what it is. And you told me to go learn about obesity? And I refer you back to my comment about who it is you're attempting to scare with your nonsense. Not covering yourself in glory here.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, who was talking about him being 'actually obese'? Stop trying to shift the goalposts. You're saying he doesn't have excessive fat in that picture. I'm far from the only one in this thread that disagrees with you. Saying it over and over again doesn't make you correct. And BMI is very useful for most people. You and Jamie Oliver are not the two magic exceptions. And if BMI is so inaccurate, however are you going to attempt to make me feel bad about a past BMI near 30 going forward?

By the same token, being annoyed by stupidity does not make someone 'bitter'... and your posts do not read as someone annoyed by stupidity. You sound far too invested in peddling the 'BMI is useless' bro-science rubbish where it is irrelevant for that.

You're trying to run with the idea that I sound ashamed now by reasoning that I must have been ashamed of my weight in order to lose weight before? Are you even running your own arguments through your head before posting at this point?

Incidentally, no, I was never ashamed. I suddenly realised I had got far bigger than I used to be (via a photo or two, and clothes getting tight - so yes, a relatively 'sudden' epiphany) and bigger than I wanted to look, so I lost weight.

Lazy people who make excuses annoy me. That doesn't make it a 'touchy' subject for me, though anyone can see that you're just trying to wind me up with that comment (and most of the others in this post). One might suspect it was an attempt at deflection.

Please, tell me about my post history. I don't recall posting about weight loss or being overweight, actually... shooting from the hip, now, are we? Why so desperate?

Oh, I'm still a bit fat but it's a work in progress. Steadily making my way down. If you'd actually looked at my posting history you'd perhaps realise you're attempting to scare a qualified fitness instructor and medic with this BS. Good job, Sherlock.

I've only been non-obese for a few months now, eh? The more you post the more obvious it is that you criticise BMI while never having had even the most basic understanding of what it is. And you told me to go learn about obesity? And I refer you back to my comment about who it is you're attempting to scare with your nonsense. Not covering yourself in glory here.
    Go back and please read the actual thread before dribbling rubbish. TheGuyReturns said and I quote: He's quite firmly in the overweight category in the picture. I'd bet pretty close to obese."

I retorted with the suggestion that he doesn't know what "obese" is. To which you replied:

I don't think
    you do if you don't think Jamie was close to or in that category in the picture given.

So clearly YOU were talking about him being obese. Moving the goal posts was I? You're either so dumb that you can't even follow a simple argument or simply a liar. Which one is it?

No Jamie Oliver is far from the exception. Like I said, people who have large amounts of muscle mass, people with higher bone density etc etc..

Bro-science is it? Yes clearly...

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265215.php

http://examine.com/faq/how-valid-is-...h-and-obesity/

http://io9.com/5936992/new-study-say...erican-obesity

I mean the fact that I am actually having to educate a "qualified fitness instructor" (lol) and a medic then that just sums up the state of affairs of this country and why there is such confusion and ineffective countering of obesity.

"Shooting from the hip"? "I don't recall posting about weight loss or being overweight" Lol okay then...

She's enormous. I'm a good 10 kilos overweight and I look far thinner than even that photoshopped version of her.

Come on Ronove, you're making this far too easy for me.

The thing about fat cells wasn't a scare story, it is fact and something you should have surely already known?

So to sum up:

- You apparently have amnesia or simply lie to try and deny you ever said something.
    - You used to be a fair degree overweight and are still bitter about it while deflecting arguments by accusing others of being insecure.
    - You disregard peer reviewed studies and expert opinion as bro-science.
    - And you should probably not be a "qualified fitness instructor". (Guess anyone can become one nowadays)

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally I just watched him on tonight's newsnight. I think the child focus is fair enough. I think the labelling point is absolutely right, though. I'd be very happy to see companies forced to state how many teaspoons of sugar are in each product. There's nothing wrong with forcing companies to inform people clearly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    They not going to starve you ... please read around, what foods are actually meant. Forcing poor people to eat bad food, because that is the cheapest one available (or seems to be cheaper, often self-cooking is not more expensive) or there is simply no incentive to buy the as expensive/cheap alternative in addition to not promoting knowledge about what good food actually is: That is looking down on the poor.

Athletes only drink those during competitions, not regularly. During training they have more time for full meals, than during a competition like Wimbledon and don't need those drinks to that amount. (Apple juice with water is already really good.) Usually athletes eat a lot, but the meals are well balanced and very healthy. In addition they have the benefit to need so much calories a day, that it does not hurt that much. (And even then, it is often high quality food.)
    A hundred quid says you couldn't define what "bad" or "good" quality food means, if your life depended on it. You get fat by consuming an excess of energy. You can eat nothing but so called "bad" food and lose shed-loads of weight, and vice versa.

What we need is proper education on nutrition and exercise science, so people understand for themselves how to maintain a healthy weight and body composition. Not more idiotic socialist programs taxing something which millions of us consume daily with no ill effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Hmm, I don't think of that as fat, he's just a normal size, surely?
    he is not fat.
    sugar tax is a great idea, you know sugar kills more people than cancer?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.