Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They're not going to be right wing when right wing people want to get rid of them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    I haven't moved the goalposts at all actually.

I don't know about you, but Corbyn isn't British. A British person would have nothing to do with Hamas, wouldn't hate the Monarchy, wouldn't empathise with the IRA, wouldn't put us in danger getting rid of trident, wouldn't dislike the Armed Forces, need I go on?

Most people in this country would prefer any person who is found fighting for ISIS to have their citizenship removed. Isn't this agreeing with my point? Somebody doing un-British things should not be classed as British?
    Of course you are changing the goalposts.
    Let's rewind. You said along the lines of 'left wing people hate British institutions and therefore hate Britain'
    Then it was pointed out to you that there are British institutions such as the BBC and Guardian and the NHS which right wing people hate. So by your logic you hate Britain.
    You then engaged in the most outrageous and idiotic logical fallacies i've seen in a long time.
    You firstly argued that just because something is British and an Institution that it is not a British institution. That is incredibly illogical. If something is both British and an institution then of course it's a British institution. In the same way if something is yellow and a cat, it is a yellow cat.

Even you realised how silly that logic was but then you preceded to show us the finest example of 'no true scotsman' i've seen in a long time.

You decided to change the meaning of the word 'British'. You're way of getting around the fact that right wing people hate British institutions is to claim institutions that you don't like are British. The word British does not mean nationalist, it does not mean right wing. You might argue it does but that's just factually wrong.

'British' is a nationality. If you are born here or have British citizenship you are British - end of story. You may think you should lose citizenship if you commit a crime but you do not. Legally and otherwise you are British.

And i've asked you this 1000 times and you haven't responded. What natioanlity is Jeremy Corbyn? What Natioanlity is the BBC?

You're argument is staggeringly poor - I know you're not stupid, you're an intelligent guy but you're so darn stubborn and caught up in your narrative you're actually arguing that the BBC are not British.

Right wing people, like left wing people hate certain British instituions, it's just that you pretend the ones you hate aren't British and in order to do that you've changed the meaning of the word 'British'.

A person always has their nationality.

I'll ask you again, what nationality is the BBC and what nationality is Jeremy Corbyn. Don't tell me what they're not, tell me what they are. Everyone has a nationality, what's Corbyn's?

You've committed huge logical fallacies here Billy and it's obvious, even you recognise it. You can't change the meaning of a word to suit your narrative.

ReputationRep:
    I believe all citizens of a country should be nationalist.
    That's just mental.

Where one is born is a matter of chance, not choice.

ReputationRep:
    any person who is found fighting for ISIS to have their citizenship removed.
    And then be what nationality?

Why should the rest of the world have to take responsibility for a British person going off to fight for ISIS o doing any other activity you may disapprove of?

If we bred 'em and made 'em, we should be responsible for 'em.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    That's just mental.

Since when did citizenship equal place you were born?

Also, you just advocated a citizen of a country hating their country...... so Corbyn then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)

Why should the rest of the world have to take responsibility for a British person going off to fight for ISIS o doing any other activity you may disapprove of?

ISIS. After all, I heard they want their own state.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Of course you are changing the goalposts.
    Let's rewind. You said along the lines of 'left wing people hate British institutions and therefore hate Britain'
    Then it was pointed out to you that there are British institutions such as the BBC and Guardian and the NHS which right wing people hate. So by your logic you hate Britain.

You then engaged in the most outrageous and idiotic logical fallacies i've seen in a long time.
    You firstly argued that just because something is British and an Institution that it is not a British institution. That is incredibly illogical. If something is both British and an institution then of course it's a British institution. In the same way if something is yellow and a cat, it is a yellow cat.

Even you realised how silly that logic was but then you preceded to show us the finest example of 'no true scotsman' i've seen in a long time.

You decided to change the meaning of the word 'British'. You're way of getting around the fact that right wing people hate British institutions is to claim institutions that you don't like are British. The word British does not mean nationalist, it does not mean right wing. You might argue it does but that's just factually wrong.

'British' is a nationality. If you are born here or have British citizenship you are British - end of story. You may think you should lose citizenship if you commit a crime but you do not. Legally and otherwise you are British.

And i've asked you this 1000 times and you haven't responded. What natioanlity is Jeremy Corbyn? What Natioanlity is the BBC?

You're argument is staggeringly poor - I know you're not stupid, you're an intelligent guy but you're so darn stubborn and caught up in your narrative you're actually arguing that the BBC are not British.

Right wing people, like left wing people hate certain British instituions, it's just that you pretend the ones you hate aren't British and in order to do that you've changed the meaning of the word 'British'.

A person always has their nationality.

I'll ask you again, what nationality is the BBC and what nationality is Jeremy Corbyn. Don't tell me what they're not, tell me what they are. Everyone has a nationality, what's Corbyn's?

You've committed huge logical fallacies here Billy and it's obvious, even you recognise it. You can't change the meaning of a word to suit your narrative.
    According to you, Tony Blair is a true Scottish person, simply because was born in Scotland.

Not quite William Wallace or Alex Salmond, is he?

ReputationRep:
    According to you, Tony Blair is a true Scottish person, simply because was born in Scotland.

But Bliar was born in Edinburgh, so he is a Scottish war criminal. And a British one.

ReputationRep:

Yes, of course. He was born in Scotland and is therefore Scottish. He could reasonably make a claim to be both English and Scottish as both his parents are English. But it's all British. You don't have to eat Haggis in a kilt to be Scottish.
    You don't have separate English and Scottish citizenship.
    Nothing wrong with that.

You still have not answered my question and it's no surprise. It's because you know you're wrong and are trying to squirm out of it.
    What nationality is Jeremy Corbyn? He was born in Britain and has lived here all his life. If he's not British what nationality is he?
    I'm really intrigued to hear. Is his passport wrong?

You're trying to change the meaning of the word 'British' to prove your point. It's laughable.

British refers to nationality - not your political beliefs. You don't get to change the meaning of a word to suit your narrative.

You're just factually incorrect, as simple as that. You're trying to argue that a word means what it doesn't to get you out of the pickle you're in of claiming hating British institutions means you hate Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManifoldManifest)
    From the very same FAQ: "You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.You can tell us that you do not need a TV Licence by using our online declaration form. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence."

If you aren't using your TV to watch shows as they're broadcast you don't need a licence. And if the "capacity for iPlayer" were enough to require a license then basically everyone with a computer or smartphone would need one.
    no just everyone with a smart TV or a TV aerial in the house...

ReputationRep:

This is all a bit off topic. The point is that:

The BBC are using their electoral rules for assessing the amount of coverage to give each party - but there are no parties in this referendum, it is not an election.

The BBC are a public broadcaster that accepts millions of euros from the EU and is paid by govt. They sneer whenever they mention the anti-EU cause to keep their paymasters happy. Sign the petition to notify them that you have noticed that the BBC is violating its charter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    That's just mental.

Does your loyalty primarily lie with your family or the family living next door?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    This is all a bit off topic. The point is that:

The BBC are using their electoral rules for assessing the amount of coverage to give each party - but there are no parties in this referendum, it is not an election.

The BBC are a public broadcaster that accepts millions of euros from the EU and is paid by govt. They sneer whenever they mention the anti-EU cause to keep their paymasters happy. Sign the petition to notify them that you have noticed that the BBC is violating its charter.
    I love the BBC even if it does have a pro-Tory bias.
    I don't like the EU. However I don't like garage and UKIP far more.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I love the BBC even if it does have a pro-Tory bias.
    I don't like the EU. However I don't like garage and UKIP far more.
    Cheers.
    Its not about UKIP, its about the continuation of the UK as a sovereign country. The fact that you immediately equate anti-EU with UKIP is a testament to BBC bias, they largely talk to UKIP as "anti-EU" and immediately engage them on migration to have a quick sneer when the issue is sovereignty.

The proof of the extent of BBC bias is that I have not seen one programme on the balance of payments crisis with the EU or one programme about the extent to which sovereignty is being lost and will disappear after a "Remain" vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Oh come off it. This view anti-EU view is suddenly fashionable among a lot of people on the left now. Hardly anybody on the left saying this now were even remotely critical at all of the EU a year ago. That was for uneducated dumb dumbs like UKIP

But then they discovered their new hero - Jeremy Corbyn - and found out he is anti-EU so now they all are too, even though they loved it until recently.

It's actually quite funny because it's giving you lot an aneurism because you're struggling to reconcile with it.
    Corbyn's anti-EU?

Haha I thought the British left leaders were all for the EU :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Yawn. The far left claims the BBC is biased in favour of the right-wing. The right-wing claims (inexplicably) that the BBC has a left-wing bias.

Sensible, non-crazy people tend to see that the BBC is, overall, pretty fair. And that it is respected around the world as a trustworthy source of news and information (hence the hundreds of millions large audience for the BBC World Service).

The obsession with "media bias" by extremists gets tremendously boring. I suppose it's a way they can explain to themselves that the reason their respective political ideologies are about as popular as a poke in the eye is because of the evil media, not because their political proposals are moronic nonsense and that they personally lack anything resembling charisma or political talent that would draw in undecided voters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)

I agree that we should remove their citizenship- after all, citizenship is just a label and an honour that our country has bestowed on these ISIS terrorists; once they join the islamic state then they have abandoned the values and privileges they had as a British Citizens, freedom of expression, British Law (or EU law), tolerance, etc, hence they should be stripped of their citizenship.

This goes beyond philosophy, though, it's a matter of national security. Because a citizen of this country has certain laws protecting them, and they would as a citizen be able to return here. Additionally, RAF drones cannot target British citizens (although there can be exceptions) with the same freedom as other ISIS fighters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Sure, if we can make SKY and every other mainstream news source do it.

Why pick on the beeb? :dontknow:
    The petition covers all UK news media.

Sign this petition to make your views known: https://www.change.org/p/bbc-itv-sky...-eu-referendum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    they largely talk to UKIP as "anti-EU" and immediately engage them on migration to have a quick sneer when the issue is sovereignty.
    But is that not worthy of a sneer? I am yet to hear anyone on here say anything about the fact that we let in 200,000 non-EU migrants last year. That is 200,000 migrants we could have legally stopped had we wanted to.

Yet the debate always seems to be about all the EU migrants we can't do anything about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    But is that not worthy of a sneer? I am yet to hear anyone on here say anything about the fact that we let in 200,000 non-EU migrants last year. That is 200,000 migrants we could have legally stopped had we wanted to.

Yet the debate always seems to be about all the EU migrants we can't do anything about.
    but non-EU immigrants need to have visas and be accepted!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.