Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should I take Maths AS-Level at 14? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Just because there's some GCSE topics in C1 doesn't mean you'll be able to do it just like that haha
    Have a look at our lovely 2015 C1 and C2 papers and u shall see

(Also you have to do 3 exams not just one, it's C1, C2 and then an applied module)
    C1 is year was good, C2 was wtf.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to cut the delusion a bit. Maths a-level is HARD for a 16 year old let alone 14. It's not just about the brains, it's about the maturity and the willingness to sacrifice a few hours a day, sorry but you're too young. You WILL have to do A2 next year as well as a-levels are changing but the fact you've looked at the easiest module and judged it on that is stupidity, there are much harder modules out there that you'll have to take.

Go and play with your toys or something because 14 is far too young, I know it sounds harsh but I highly doubt you'd be able to gain a C grade at your age anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with some people on this thread, but the way they're portraying their views is quite harsh lol.

I think you should focus on getting them A*s at GCSE, and if your school allows you to do the AS then go for it. It is true that C1 is the easiest module, but theres no point looking at an A level paper and being discouraged because it looks hard, no one will know how to answer those questions unless they have learnt the content. For people on here telling the OP to have a look at some C3 and C4 papers, if you looked at those papers in year 11 you would think they look difficult too, as you had not learnt the content yet.

Anyway, focus on your GCSEs, then if you got free time and think you can handle it, why not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths465Man)
    Hi all,

I am 14 years old and currently studying my GCSE subjects including Maths. However, I am able to lots of the units in the Maths AS-Level book and feel that I could be successful if I did an AS exam. However, because of the recent changes in GCSE, I am unable to take my Maths GCSE early meaning that it could be the situation, if I take the exam, that I have A-Level Maths before GCSE level Maths. Should I do AS-Level Maths knowing I will have to do it outside of school as there isn't time within my curriculum? I really enjoy Maths and would like to hear your feedback.

Thanks.
    No wait until you take your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS maths when I was 11 so if you genuinely think you are miles ahead of everyone else in your class then it is possible but definitely listen to everyone's advice about focusing on your GCSEs at the moment - there's no rush!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicereynolds)
    I did AS maths when I was 11 so if you genuinely think you are miles ahead of everyone else in your class then it is possible but definitely listen to everyone's advice about focusing on your GCSEs at the moment - there's no rush!
    You did AS maths when you were in year 6 or year 7...!?

ReputationRep:
    this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...h-Grade-A.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    You did AS maths when you were in year 6 or year 7...!?
    Year 7 yeh 😃

ReputationRep:
    Year 7 yeh 😃
    Wow so what have you done in maths until this point?

ReputationRep:
    Wow so what have you done in maths until this point?
    I finished Alevel maths over years 8 and 9 and then did further over years 10 to 12 and now I'm in year 13 and just preparing for Step to keep the maths going for next year cos I want to do maths and economics at uni!

ReputationRep:
    I finished Alevel maths over years 8 and 9 and then did further over years 10 to 12 and now I'm in year 13 and just preparing for Step to keep the maths going for next year cos I want to do maths and economics at uni!
    Wow that's really cool. Do you do well in UKMT?

ReputationRep:
    OP - you are doing the new GCSE and far fewer top grades will be given as we've been told the % of grade 9s will be capped. Focus on enrichment (UKMT - do you have a mentor yet?, NRICH problems, reading maths books such as Rob Eastaway) and forget AS.

No-one has yet mentioned that your year group will be taking the NEW A level maths so you would be foolish to start it now and end up stuck because you have a mix of old and new.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's really cool. Do you do well in UKMT?
    Thanks! Umm well I've done 18 maths challenges and most have been gold but I've only qualified for another round twice and never for the Olympiad, I'm not amazing at them!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Umm well I've done 18 maths challenges and most have been gold but I've only qualified for another round twice and never for the Olympiad, I'm not amazing at them!
    Jesus o.o

ReputationRep:
    Jesus o.o
    Aha over the past 9 years - 5 junior, 7 intermediate and 6 senior. I was hoping to make it to 20 but I've only got one more

ReputationRep:
    It is worth pointing out that most universities will make offers based on 3 A levels being taken at the same time, because they want to see that a student can handle the workload, and an early A level will not usually count in a offer. If OP wants to do it, then that is up to him, but it won't necessarily be an advantage for university applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    It is worth pointing out that most universities will make offers based on 3 A levels being taken at the same time, because they want to see that a student can handle the workload, and an early A level will not usually count in a offer. If OP wants to do it, then that is up to him, but it won't necessarily be an advantage for university applications.
    I know this is true in some cases but both Durham and Warwick have told me that my early a levels can count as part of the offer x

ReputationRep:
    I know this is true in some cases but both Durham and Warwick have told me that my early a levels can count as part of the offer x
    As I said, most and not usually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RonnieRJ)
    Just because there's some GCSE topics in C1 doesn't mean you'll be able to do it just like that haha
    Have a look at our lovely 2015 C1 and C2 papers and u shall see

(Also you have to do 3 exams not just one, it's C1, C2 and then an applied module)
    Sorry for remembering this late, but for our AS maths we actually had C1, C2 and C3. For our Further AS we had 2 applied + FP1. So maybe OP could take C1-3 AS Maths and C4 + 2 applied for A2?

Sorry for remembering this late, but for our AS maths we actually had C1, C2 and C3. For our Further AS we had 2 applied + FP1. So maybe OP could take C1-3 AS Maths and C4 + 2 applied for A2?
    I think this might apply only when you do further maths as well because you still had to do 2 applied modules for the a level.
    Plus I don't see the benefit of doing C3 early, the step up between C1 and C3 is bigger than between GCSE and the AS core modules so

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.