The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by loveleest
but why? why slut shame women and not men when they are doing to exact same thing?

you're right. I'm all for equal opportunities. shame all sluts (men and women). I want to know who is gonna be ready to spread when I want it! I don't want them ladies who need dining and wining. waste of time and money them!
Reply 41
wouldn't slut shaming be doing sluts a favour? free advertising if you will
Original post by IMOY
As a guy who isn't getting any pussy, although I don't slut-shame I can see why a lot of people do. Men who can't get laid are upset they can't get laid so some men are just jealous of the girls that are getting laid. 'Why is she so easily accessible?' most men who slut-shame aren't getting laid because it does make you feel that slight bit *****ier about yourself that no one wants you sexually but people want other people. When a guy gets with 20 girls it's seen with respect amongst guy's especially the sexless demographic because that's not something most men can get. Now amongst women, most men would **** anything female so saying 'I sucked 20 *****' doesn't feel like a flex. Women need to change that amongst themselves. But most women don't want to.

ohh this makes the most sense tbh
Patriarchy. Women used to be the property of men. I mean the literal property, I think up-to the early 20th Century in law. There used to be wife auctions in the past, even in the 19th century, which were seen as an alternative to divorce. A man, if he didn’t want his wife anymore could auction her off and sell her to another man.

And men wanted exclusive breeding rights to their property. It was only with the development of reliable contraceptive technologies such as the pill and IUD in the mid 20th century that sex became reliably divorced from pregnancy, and female sexual liberalisation began to be tolerated. WW2 also helped to culturally emancipate women as during the war, while the men went off fighting, they took on many traditional male roles and proved themselves capable.

Female sexuality is still tightly controlled in patriarchal societies around the world today, where in law women don’t own their bodies and the men do.

And as your post attests, in ‘developed’ societies, even if the laws have changed, the patriarchal attitudes still linger. Goes without saying slut shaming is used as a cultural method of coercive control, where women are supposed to be complicit in protecting mens’ exclusive reproductive rights to their bodies, which traditionally manifested itself as the idea a woman should be a virgin at marriage and only sleep with her husband.

Men aren’t held to the same standard because they historically held power and dictated terms to suit themselves.

I watched a documentary about a matrilineal, matriarchal society in China (it’s a huge place with lots of sub cultures) where it was expected the women would take many lovers and sire children from different men. They were encouraged to reproduce like this to strengthen their families, both through cross family relationships and to create more labour to till the fields and go hunting etc. People belonged to their matrilineal families and the kids would be brought up in them. Property would be inherited through their mother’s rather than father‘s line. It created a totally different set of reproductive expectations and morality around sex.

Original post by loveleest
...And men don't? I'm pretty sure that a lot of us have internalised (I used to) the idea that women can't sleep around and men can- but where did it all stem from? why is it socially acceptable for a guy to sleep with 20+ women and get a round of applause, but when a women does it she gets degraded and every single accomplishment she has done is vanished because of her sexual life.

Why is it like that in the first place?
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest