The Student Room Group

cant stand religion bashers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Would anyone on this forum confront those who practiced religion in real life?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
If I could eradicate one thing from this planet, it would be religion. It is the root of all evil. :smile:

Sorry, but can you explain there? I think that what you're thinking of is the clash between different religions, which would totally agree with the fact that you are probably atheist from the sounds of things, and atheism is a kind of religion - the religion of no gods. So all you're doing is clashing against other religions, which causes a lot of problems.
Also, you might want to take a look at history - many negative situations have arisen through difference in religion, but absolutely none due to religion itself. Misuse of religion (due to human faults, not divine ones) has also caused problems, but those who stick to what their religion prescribes, are the most peaceful and happy sort of people you will find anywhere.
Maybe you should do a bit more research before making such hasty statements:smile:
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
So do you oppose ideologies, say Nazism, being 'ridiculed' or criticised/satirised?

People have rights, ideas do not.

No idea is above scrutiny, and no human is beneath dignity.

Sorry, let me elaborate. People are free to believe in what they want without ridicule unless they personally hurt someone and when someone personally hurts someone, you take it up with them alone.

I was also arguing with someone on youtube comparing Islam to Nazism, Religion is very widespread and can range from just believing in God to the full works, Nazism starts at believing that anyone who isn't healthy and white should be ended.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Are you 10 years old? Or do you not realise how stupid you sound, or both?

Says you.
Original post by Longshot700
People are free to believe in what they want without ridicule unless they personally hurt someone and when someone personally hurts someone, you take it up with them alone.

You are conflating people with ideas/ideologies.

You still haven't made it clear whether you think the latter are 'fair game' for criticism/satire. Please try again.
Original post by Ahem-
Would anyone on this forum confront those who practiced religion in real life? I very much doubt it because the majority are introverts and therefor resort to forums to express their edginess.

I think there is a time, place and platform for debate and criticism, but as long as it takes place through the appropriate medium, I believe any topic should be open to criticism. An appropriate medium would be a debate forum like this, a newspaper, a scholarly journal etc... If one is easily offended and does not wish to hear this debate, then they can simply avoid and turn a blind eye to it. The school playground, on the street, on public transport etc... I would not regard these as appropriate places to engage in criticising someone. People using this forum are using a legitimate medium through which to express their views, opinions and criticisms. I see nothing wrong with that.

Why should any topic be beyond debate? For example, a typical school playground bully will mock someone's mum. We would all agree that is bullying and that it is wrong. But, if my mum's actions, words, lifestyle, history etc... is something someone disagrees with, they are more than free to criticise my mum through the correct medium.
Original post by Treblebee
Sorry, but can you explain there? I think that what you're thinking of is the clash between different religions

No. That's not what I'm thinking of.

and atheism is a kind of religion - the religion of no gods.

No. Atheism is the lack of religion.

Also, you might want to take a look at history - many negative situations have arisen through difference in religion, but absolutely none due to religion itself.

Lol. Grab a history book before opening your mouth.

but those who stick to what their religion prescribes, are the most peaceful and happy sort of people you will find anywhere.

Yeah, like ISIS, the most peaceful and happy people. They stick to what their holy book actually says instead of picking and choosing which parts they like.:smile:

Do not quote me, you are a lost cause. I have no interest in debating with people who like religion. You will be ignored if you quote me. Bye.
Original post by Ahem-

Yes. Almost on a daily basis. But 'confront' is perhaps the wrong word, not to say that our debates don't sometimes get heated (but never personal), though.... :tongue:
Original post by bluepimpernel
A question to everyone who follows a religion as blindly as the OP: if whatever deity you follow did create a perfect world, why does He in all, his perfection, allow children to be born with birth defects such as anencephaly, which condems them to die after hours and in the meantime are unable to even gain consciousness or awareness of their sorroundings? Why allow children to die before their parents, when the opposite should be happening?

I think you're possibly taking God entirely out of the equation there. These faults are to glorify God. Have you ever read What Katy Did? It's not particularly religious, but Katy, through her disability, took another look on life, and benefitted, becoming a better person in herself. This happens again and again irl. I have a friend with a life-long disability, and she is the happiest, most content person I have ever met. As for those children who die before they are even properly conscious, their deaths are actually for the benefit of the parents, and it helps them to grow stronger in their faith. For people in the same situation who don't believe in a God, the situation is far more traumatic, and they may become bitter about it for the rest of their lives. Really, which do you think is more preferable? Can you see what I'm trying to say?
I don't mind the nice christian type folk but you can understand why religion receives a lot of flack when you consider all the disgusting things done in the name of religion
Reply 50
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Yes. Almost on a daily basis. But 'confront' is perhaps the wrong word, not to say that our debates don't sometimes get heated (but never personal), though.... :tongue:

Fair enough, good on you for doing so.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
You only see a lot of this on this forum because it's populated by young people who want to be unique and edgy and who have just learnt about Nietzsche.

No, it's because the vast majority of young people today are not religious and know what a stupid ****ed up thing it is.
Original post by Makbkuan
What I don't understand is, why do people believe that there are aliens out there but reject the idea of there being a God?

Posted from TSR Mobile
true

and yet, as everybody knows, the Gods are all clearly visible out there : Jupiter lives on Jupiter, Mars on Mars, Venus on Venus etc etc
No. That's not what I'm thinking of.

No. Atheism is the lack of religion.
Exactly my point - you fight for atheism just like how other people fight for their religion.

Lol. Grab a history book before opening your mouth.
Ok, instances? I said difference in religion, and perhaps I should rephrase it as differences in beliefs.

Yeah, like ISIS, the most peaceful and happy people. They stick to what their holy book actually says instead of picking and choosing which parts they like.:smile:
Actually, that is what I call a religion gone wrong, and the instances of that are relatively rare. In fairness, you've got to take account of everybody out there who isn't in a cult (the percentage of the world's population which is religious hints at the fact that perhaps yours is the lost cause).

Do not quote me, you are a lost cause. I have no interest in debating with people who like religion. You will be ignored if you quote me. Bye.

Please be fair, saying that you refuse to debate with me suggests that you can't come up with counter-arguments.
No, it's because the vast majority of young people today are not religious and know what a stupid ****ed up thing it is.

And why not the thousands and millions - even billions - of people who have come before our time, might I ask?
Original post by karl pilkington
I don't mind the nice christian type folk but you can understand why religion receives a lot of flack when you consider all the disgusting things done in the name of religion

That's more a question of which religion; perhaps the comment deserves to be mentioned on another thread:wink:
Original post by Makbkuan
What I don't understand is, why do people believe that there are aliens out there but reject the idea of there being a God?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We exist therefore it's likely that more life forms exist. The fact that we're real proves it's possible whereas no empirical evidence for God has been brought forward.
Reply 57
Religion is a man made invention and you basically just repeated what I said.

And whos invention was humans
Original post by Anno3742
And whos invention was humans

ignore listed.
Original post by Ahem-

Yes. I have discussed religion and theology with friends and family alike.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending