Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should cigarettes be made illegal? watch

• View Poll Results: Should cigarettes be made illegal?
    Yes - ban them!
    64.17%
    No - keep on puffing...
    35.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeds98)
    We should ban cars then because emissions directly affect pedestrians quality of air and respiratory systems?
    That's why there are so many laws about air quality control, and in any case air pollution is quite low in this country. If it weren't for that then yes, it would be sensible to ban the worst offenders.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  GABBS.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  288.8 KB Relevant.
    Why are the majority here for limiting human liberty? Are Europeans really that sensitive that they cannot endure a few seconds of inhaling tobacco when passing a smoker?

ReputationRep:
    Just leave people alone. Why do you guys complain so much. I wouldn't give two s***s about a guy smoking at a bus station and if it bothered me so much I'd just move. Jfc why is everyone such a whiny b***h these days...

ReputationRep:
    Ban ciggies, endorse e cigs

ReputationRep:
    I think everything should be legalised, but all harmful substances should be taught in schools and society generally to a high level.
    I'd love to learn about the biology of smoking and weed etc. as a kid, and I hated school.

ReputationRep:
    No. The world is becoming overpopulated. Let the smokers kill themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    Itd be like a british version of the prohibition, pointless and wouldnt work, people would still smoke anything they could, people would start smoking as a cool way to break the law
    Yeah a ban just wouldn't be very enforceable.
    Just nicely increase crime ^^

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care, though it would be good if they actually enforced no smoking rules at bus stops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hai_Ann)
    No. The world is becoming overpopulated. Let the smokers kill themselves.
    I read that it may reduce chance of getting Parkinson's or Dementia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I genuinely cigarettes are poison and we should continue to deter people from smoking regularly/frequently.

But I don't think banning it will deter people from obtaining cigs. If anything it would perk people's interest and motivate them to rebel
    In my opinion cigarettes are one of the few exceptions where prohibition could actually work. Think about it. You would no longer be able to smoke anywhere in public. No smoke breaks at work, no smoking while waiting for the bus, no **** at the pub on a night out. Even if you did sneak off, it would be super obvious from the smell on your clothes and breath that you had been smoking - which isn't going to fly with your employer. Social smoking would cease to be a thing. You would be limited to smoking only in your own home, and frankly it isn't worth it. Having to meet some dodgy drug dealer and buy tobacco at inflated prices - all for a mild nicotine rush when you get home from work? Nah. I mean, sure, some people would no doubt continue, but the vast majority would quit or switch to alternatives like e-cigs.

I still oppose it on moral grounds, though.

ReputationRep:
    We need to stop demonising electronic cigarettes. They have the potential to create a public health revolution and yet the EU is trying to ban them in their current form and all we hear from the media is scare stories, misrepresentation, and bad science. (hardly surprising considering Murdoch's connections to big tobacco)

ReputationRep:
    Here's a novel perspective. Legalise cannabis and maybe other safe drugs. Think of it, we have 3 mainstream legal drugs; tobacco, alcohol, caffeine. You can't drink alcohol all day because you'd never get anything done. It's for enjoyment; clubbing, casual drink, whatever. And still harmful and addictive. Caffeine is a mild stimulant. Nothing fancy, barely notice it. Which leaves tobacco. I'm not a tobacco smoker but yeah, there aren't any real alternatives out there. In terms of health effects there isn't any real choice so people just do what they can with what they can get.. Legalise cannabis and there'll be another alternative, more potent, enjoyable and many will likely prefer it over tobacco. It may not eliminate tobacco consumption but I'd be willing to bet it would reduce it.

In terms of health effects, which would you rather use?

ReputationRep:
    ^You do realize that cannabis makes you.. high, right? As in, temporarily crazy and incapable of functioning as a normal human being. It's a terrible idea and it should stay illegal.

ReputationRep:
    What am I supposed to mix into my zoot then?

ReputationRep:
    People should be free to make their own choices. I've not smoked in a while now but I used to smoke socially and enjoyed it. Although I guess some people have way more of an addictive personality and for them perhaps an outright ban would be for the best. I still don't advocate it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archdukes)
    Name:  GABBS.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  288.8 KB Relevant.
    Why are the majority here for limiting human liberty? Are Europeans really that sensitive that they cannot endure a few seconds of inhaling tobacco when passing a smoker?
    It's very little to do with having to get a whiff of a bad smell that's you wont even think twice about and very much about the power trip they get from being able to control what other people are doing. They're pushing change for the sake of change.

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke and I'm asthmatic but making smoking illegal will only make it worse for a lot of people (the people who are addicted to it will suddenly stop and receive severe withdraw symptoms. not that i care but the companies that make them will loose out on a lot of money. it will increase "drug dealing" since people will find more ways to get it)

so i think for the benefit of all, people should be allowed to smoke when no one's around, if others are around they should get their consent. (majority wins etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    Other drugs do not directly harm anyone but the user. Tobacco does.
    The second-hand smoke argument is a pretty poor one to support an outright ban though. Indoors, fair enough, but on the street the risks are so minimal it's barely worth talking about. Having smoke briefly blow past your face is nothing more than slightly unpleasant for a non-smoker (I'm a non-smoker myself btw) The fumes caused by the traffic in any large city are a greater risk to a person's health.

It comes down to personal choice, and that shouldn't be taken away. If you ban smoking you might as well ban alcohol whilst you're at it, drink drivers and violent drunks are about as unpleasant as second-hand smoke.

ReputationRep:
    Volenti non fit iniuria

ReputationRep:
    people gonna smoke anyway whether they're legal or not

and future teenagers are gonna think it's rebellious and cool to smoke because it's illegal...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.