Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are Black grads less likely to get jobs than their white counterparts? watch

ReputationRep:
    Racism

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. I wonder why black people do degrees like media, dance, psychology, music, like tf Will you get a job from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's based on stereotypes (partially founded) that blacks are more violent and less intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Look at yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Stop calling my people dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Subconsciously looking after their own.

ReputationRep:
    racism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    It's based on stereotypes (partially founded) that blacks are more violent and less intelligent.
    What evidence is there for them being less intelligent?

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely not being a **** but what proof is there of this?

ReputationRep:
    Erm, source?

If you mean why black people have an unemployment rate of 13% whereas white people have an unemployment rate of 5% (in the UK 2014-2015 - source: ONS), then it's more to do with class, not race.

More likely to come from poor families and thus less likely to do well in education (than other ethnic groups), therefore more likely to be unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    What evidence is there for them being less intelligent?
    http://frihetspartiet.net/dokumenter...tion-study.pdf
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnes...Adoption_Study

ReputationRep:

They used an IQ test? As the old saying goes "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    They used an IQ test? As the old saying goes "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So how would you propose to do it ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    So how would you propose to do it ?
    I don't have a solution. I'm just pointing out there are flaws in measuring intelligence by a test. For example, many artists tend to be dyslexic is it fair to judge them on their intelligence by using a spelling test? Some people are great at learning languages but have poor reasoning skills etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE)
    Hmm not many constructive comments here....

i mean it contradicts the whole ideology of meritocracy the uk espouses doesnt it? Rather than create a true "equality of opportunity" system, the powers that be imprison us more, racially profile us more, and do not intervene in black communities enough to help black youth. so many factors are against you if youre black due to this racist system
    It has always been like this and always will be. As a colored graduate myself, I can see through this system.

I know a large number of ethnic minority graduates in non-graduate menial jobs in fact I can't think of anyone who has managed to get a graduate level job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    As a colored graduate myself, I can see through this system.
    Can you give an example where you can certainly say without doubt that you or someone you know was discriminated by race or other ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Can you give an example where you can certainly say without doubt that you or someone you know was discriminated by race or other ?
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...nic-minorities

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/j...han-white.html

It happens

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.