Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would probably say, birmingham and bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexthomas)
    I am applying to study mathematics as a degree in 2016. I cannot apply for unis like Oxford of Cambridge. I would like to know universities which have nice cities/buildings such as Bristol and Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bath, Glasgow, Queens Belfast, Aberdeen

For nice modern buildings: Nottingham, Southampton (very nice facilities for Maths students) and Manchester.

Most universities with a strong Maths department (apart from the ones mentioned above) have ugly or average buildings so don't apply just because of this one factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsukurutazaki)
    St Andrews, Durham, Royal Holloway.
    St Andrews Maths department looks quite ugly, compared to the rest of the university.

ReputationRep:
    The Scottish unis look amazinggg

ReputationRep:
    First rank:

Greenwich
    Stirling
    Durham (University College)
    Nottingham

Second rank
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Royal Holloway
    Reading
    Exeter

Third rank

Bristol
    Birmingham
    Glasgow
    Edinburgh
    King's College London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    My first choice will be UCL
    my second choice would be UCL
    and if you need a third choice put UCL
    Since the OP says he cannot apply for Oxbridge, UCL might not be a useful suggestion given that it is very nearly as competitive as Oxbridge for many subjects.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Cardiff

(my love, my life, my all)

Keele

ReputationRep:
    Please, please don't pick a university based on appearance. You'll spend at least three years there studying, and it'll be on your CV for the rest of your working life, so you might want to consider factors like the course, ranking, optional modules, accommodation, the nearby city etc.

Though Durham is the nicest looking university I've seen in person. King's College, Cambridge also looks great, while Edinburgh seems quite picturesque and I've heard quite a bit about Nottingham (which looks quite nice based on a quick Google search).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontargue)
    Since the OP says he cannot apply for Oxbridge, UCL might not be a useful suggestion given that it is very nearly as competitive as Oxbridge for many subjects.
    ... so we shall let the OP to be the judge of that ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam.B57)
    Bristol uni is a bit of an odd one, the area of city it is in i wouldnt say is the nicest
    Huh? Clifton not the nicest area of Bristol? Where would you recommend - St Paul's? Eastville? Bedminster?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.