Turn on thread page Beta

Why are more people becoming Vegetarian? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I'm guessing you're a teenager?

It's a pretty popular time for people to start making their own life choices - just as they're growing up and developing their own opinions and they're less shackled by their parents rules. You're in that age group so it's more likely for you to see the people around you becoming vegetarian and whole bunch of other things. Less likely in my age group.
    It's interesting that you don't respond to any arguments for vegetarianism, and instead put it down to an ad hom.

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarians that eat plant/products are hypocrites

ReputationRep:
    I can think of a couple of reasons. More awareness of the way food is produced & the ethical issues surrounding it, the health benefits of a vegetarian diet & veggie alternatives being more widely available than they were in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan Crane)
    Humans are naturally omnivorous, choosing to be anything else makes no sense.
    I'd hardly describe factory farming and industrial mass slaughter as 'natural'. Anyway, we might have evolved to be omnivores but we've also developed to the point where we're capable of making moral decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    It's interesting that you don't respond to any arguments for vegetarianism, and instead put it down to an ad hom.
    How was that ad hom? I wasn't arguing for anything. I was just saying that's probably the likely explanation as to why they've started noticing it a lot.

Btw, I'm vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    I wasn't aware anyone needed to be excused.
    Well, it seemed that we needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    How was that ad hom? I wasn't arguing for anything. I was just saying that's probably the likely explanation as to why they've started noticing it a lot.

Btw, I'm vegetarian.
    I may have misread your comment but it looked like you thought vegetarian trends were based on generational differences rather than on moral arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    Guess people are becoming more educated on where their food comes from and consider ethical reasons... contemplated on being vegetarian but i love chicken!!!
    Plenty of people who are vegan used to enjoy and loved the tastes and textures of meats.

Loving meat doesn't somehow magically invalidate moral reasons to be vegan.

ReputationRep:
    I'm vegetarian, I turned vegetarian over 2 years ago. I had like a mini-epiphany and thought I don't want an animal to die for me and then for me to eat. After that meat looks very unappetising...

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people who are vegan used to enjoy and loved the tastes and textures of meats.

Loving meat doesn't somehow magically invalidate moral reasons to be vegan.
    I'd be a pretty rubbish vegetarian tbh - i enjoy eating meat, so i will continue hunna and i'm crap at keeping consistent with things - good on those who do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    I'd be a pretty rubbish vegetarian tbh - i enjoy eating meat, so i will continue hunna and i'm crap at keeping consistent with things - good on those who do though.
    I have no idea what hunna means, however, you have not replied to the content of my post.

You have simply restarted the original information in a similar format.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what hunna means, however, you have not replied to the content of my post.

You have simply restarted the original information in a similar format.
    oh well

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a vegan, low fat, low salt, low sugar, lactose free, gluten free diet right now to detoxify my body right now, and honestly, like, it just makes you feel so much better.

ReputationRep:
    Well I used to be vegetarian between the age of 12-13

ReputationRep:
    Been veggie all my life. The idea of eating the flesh of an animal is disgusting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been vegetarian for over 10 years now, and it was honestly the best decision. I always found it difficult to physically chew and swallow meat (since I was a baby in fact), and I didn't particularly like the taste either, so as soon as I was actually able to make my own decisions I stopped eating all meat/meat products (at the age of about 7...). Since then I haven become particularly aware of the moral side of it and become even more pro vegetarian. Even if you're only considering it a tiny bit then just give it a try, you'll see what an effortless change it is, I would never even consider going back. Wooooo Vegetarianism!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Well I used to be vegetarian between the age of 12-13
    What made you give it up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonathan Crane)
    Humans are naturally omnivorous, choosing to be anything else makes no sense.
    Humans naturally don't live in houses and take showers and use online forums such as TSR. You talk bull****.

ReputationRep:
    My family's always been vegetarian, because of which I've never had meat in my entire 17.5 years of life. I've never thanked my parents enough.

Seriously. It has a good moral background to it and it helps me immensely in staying fit. I would never, even by choice, become a non-vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    They can't afford good quality meat. The stuff you get in the supermarkets is horrible.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.