Turn on thread page Beta

What sort of salary should I be aiming for? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Oh, I see. But are you asking the same requirements (the ones you listed) for both the junior version and the experienced version of the job?
    They're all optional apart from having some experience as a LAMP developer with MVC frameworks and OOP exposure.

I remember my first project was a CMS using a web hosting site with MySQL via phpMyAdmin, HTML/CSS/jQuery etc. and PHP. It was an anime site during my teen years, towards the end of high school. Used to customise Wordpress templates as well. Make a site for a taxi firm at some point, also a restaurant. Created various sites with added Google Adsense (nice bit of money for a school student, about £60 a month at the time).

Eventually stuck it all on my CV. Blagged a bit with the individual and team projects, didn't bother mentioning it was university based. Deliberately didn't use the word 'commercial'. Just used the word 'experience', since I realised in the end that that's all that anyone is really interested. I used the taxi and restaurant sites as 'contracts'. So experience and contracts.

Not that it matters anymore, come a long way. Still learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    They're all optional apart from having some experience as a LAMP developer with MVC frameworks and OOP exposure.

I remember my first project was a CMS using a web hosting site with MySQL via phpMyAdmin, HTML/CSS/jQuery etc. and PHP. It was an anime site during my teen years, towards the end of high school. Used to customise Wordpress templates as well. Make a site for a taxi firm at some point, also a restaurant. Created various sites with added Google Adsense (nice bit of money for a school student, about £60 a month at the time).

Eventually stuck it all on my CV. Blagged a bit with the individual and team projects, didn't bother mentioning it was university based. Deliberately didn't use the word 'commercial'. Just used the word 'experience', since I realised in the end that that's all that anyone is really interested. I used the taxi and restaurant sites as 'contracts'. So experience and contracts.

Not that it matters anymore, come a long way. Still learning.
    I understand that providing all this information takes time and effort so thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a job for about a month and a half now I'm on £24k.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, For people who are pursuing the computer science degree what do you think is the best way to earn experience or get to know about the degree itself because I have 3 years left and I am pretty sure its going to get super competitive so what do I need to do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jonny35293278)
    Hi, For people who are pursuing the computer science degree what do you think is the best way to earn experience or get to know about the degree itself because I have 3 years left and I am pretty sure its going to get super competitive so what do I need to do.
    Come up with random projects, contribute to open source, attend hackathons, build a portfolio of projects/programs, get on GitHub, contact startups to see if they'd take you on as an intern etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jonny35293278)
    Github profile with example projects. Contribute to open-source projects. Perhaps try a couple of contracts. Essentially, you need to have some experience on your CV by the time you've graduated if you want a better chance.

I'd rather hire someone with experience than someone with just a degree fresh out of uni.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.