Turn on thread page Beta

If I wanted to Visit a mosque or any synagogue watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I come from an Eastern Orthodox Christian background (Coptic) but I wanted to ask,if I wanted to visit/explore mosques or synagogues would I have to wear a head scarf each time(to the mosque) or any other special requirements for visiting synagogues? I'm not looking to convert but rather get together with Muslims or Jews and learn more about their religion even it its similar to Christianity.

Word of advice: don't post anything islamophobic or antisemitic. If you have issues with religion that's not my problem and this isn't the thread to voice any hatred/dislike.

Thank you
    Hi

I have visited masjids several times, and even took part in prayers. I knew a couple of people there, and simply had to take off my shoes to take part in prayers. As pointed out to you, women usually have their hair covered and also remove their shoes (at least I think so : never paid much attention)

By the way, I think that Copts are Oriental orthodox, not Eastern orthodox ... and yes, there is a difference https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_Orthodoxy

ReputationRep:
    Just a scarf or something would be good with moderate coverage, by the way can i say your beautiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I've already been twice! Heard about it during my Emirates flight about places to visit in Dubai including sheikh zayed road etc
    Did you visit the Al Ain City in Abu Dhabi?. I recommend you that too! It has Sheikha Salama Mosque and other pretty places to visit.

ReputationRep:
    I know you'd be welcomed into a mosque. They would encourage you to explore the faith (even for educational reasons). I expect the same from a synagogue.

ReputationRep:
    Guys thank you so much for your responses,much appreciated!
    mariachi
    Zuki
    admonit
    And everyone else I haven't mentioned

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.