The Student Room Group

What are your bad habits?

Scroll to see replies

I chew my fingers to bleeding, throbbing red shreds. Over and over again.
Reply 41
Original post by RainbowKiwi
This is one of my bad habits :erm:

image.jpeg

I don't get it. Do you roleplay as a nun or something?
Reply 42
I twirl and stroke the hair behind my lower neck. Well that's not bad I've just heard I could bald there.

I laugh out loud at my thoughts. And people look up wondering if I'm laughing at them. Always makes the train ride something I look forward to.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I chew my fingers to bleeding, throbbing red shreds. Over and over again.

:s-smilie: do you get that pleasure-pain feeling when you do it? And is it done when you're really nervous?
I jitter a lot when nervous/anxious about something. It's incredibly obvious at times and I would rather not ://
Reply 45
Original post by starlight82
I didn't know this was a thing :lol: Is that painful?

Is it to spare their feelings or because you try to avoid conflicts? :smile:

Just don't wanna hurt them.. I look up to those people who can be honest and just not care that much about the person's feelings. I'm so over-caring :redface:
I personally prefer when someone is honest with me
Original post by ivy.98
Just don't wanna hurt them.. I look up to those people who can be honest and just not care that much about the person's feelings. I'm so over-caring :redface:
I personally prefer when someone is honest with me

I can relate :hugs: I guess the trick is to find some middle ground where you're honest but not too blunt about it, sparing their feelings :smile:
Reply 47
I can relate :hugs: I guess the trick is to find some middle ground where you're honest but not too blunt about it, sparing their feelings :smile:

Exactly :smile: hopefully, one day we can master this trick :^_^:
:s-smilie: do you get that pleasure-pain feeling when you do it? And is it done when you're really nervous?

Yes, and no. I'll do it anywhere, anytime, usually when I'm bored I suppose. I stop when it gets red raw and bleeds, then go onto another finger and chew that off.
Laughing at inappropriate moments. Playing with my hair when I'm bored or nervous.
Original post by ivy.98
Probably telling people what they want to hear instead of the truth :/

This is my downfall as well. People repeatedly tell me I'm too nice and I sugar coat things but I don't have the heart to tell anyone anything bad about themselves even if they personally **** me over. I try and avoid confrontation that's why I do that and I always spare their feelings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) When I'm nervous I'll blurt out the stupidest things and I'll laugh
2) my leg shakes like a washing machine, non stop, especially when I'm deep in thought
3) I interrupt people when I want to talk and I'll zone out when they do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Alesha1991
Laughing at inappropriate moments. Playing with my hair when I'm bored or nervous.

Me in a nutshell
Reply 53
Original post by TheGreatImposter
This is my downfall as well. People repeatedly tell me I'm too nice and I sugar coat things but I don't have the heart to tell anyone anything bad about themselves even if they personally **** me over. I try and avoid confrontation that's why I do that and I always spare their feelings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This perfectly describes me
I always worry that I will come off as rude or careless.
I think it's an insecurity, when there's people we respect, or just someone we want to impress, we tend to tell them what they want to hear
Original post by ivy.98
I think it's an insecurity, when there's people we respect, or just someone we want to impress, we tend to tell them what they want to hear

This part's really true. I've found my favourite teachers are those most critical of me. It's not because I hate myself, rather they have this knack of being able to tell me if I'm not doing something the right way.

As an example, I showed my uni personal statement last month to ~4 teachers. 3 of those teachers told me it was very good and probably ready to send. The 4th one (my favourite teacher) was honest with me and said it was horrible (her exact words), because it didn't sound like me. Even though it made me feel bad at the time, in the long run she was the most helpful of everyone I asked for advice. It was because of her I rewrote it and it sounded soo much better.

As a tip, just remember that being completely honest at times will help the person much more :smile: If it does make you feel bad to be 100% truthful because you fear you'd be hurting someone (and I can't blame you for feeling that way, I do too!), at least make sure you emphasise whatever improvement or suggestion you have, so they don't forget it amidst the praise (or whatever positive you have to say)
Original post by ivy.98

Yeah I know, when you have feelings for someone or if they're your family/friends then you'll just tell them nice, positive things rather than the negatives but if it were someone who I didn't care about then I could probably be rude, but even then I don't have it in within me to create drama and I steer away from trouble

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by Student403
This part's really true. I've found my favourite teachers are those most critical of me. It's not because I hate myself, rather they have this knack of being able to tell me if I'm not doing something the right way.

As an example, I showed my uni personal statement last month to ~4 teachers. 3 of those teachers told me it was very good and probably ready to send. The 4th one (my favourite teacher) was honest with me and said it was horrible (her exact words), because it didn't sound like me. Even though it made me feel bad at the time, in the long run she was the most helpful of everyone I asked for advice. It was because of her I rewrote it and it sounded soo much better.

As a tip, just remember that being completely honest at times will help the person much more :smile: If it does make you feel bad to be 100% truthful because you fear you'd be hurting someone (and I can't blame you for feeling that way, I do too!), at least make sure you emphasise whatever improvement or suggestion you have, so they don't forget it amidst the praise (or whatever positive you have to say)

That was truly beautiful! :smile:

It's an issue someone has to work on. I think as soon as you realize you were dishonest, tell them : "no, just kidding, here's the truth..." and play it like a joke. People know when they are being bull****ted, whether it be sooner or later. Like you said with your PS, once you get some real accomplishments under your belt you won't feel compelled to get fake recognition because it will not be as rewarding
Original post by ivy.98
That was truly beautiful! :smile:

It's an issue someone has to work on. I think as soon as you realize you were dishonest, tell them : "no, just kidding, here's the truth..." and play it like a joke. People know when they are being bull****ted, whether it be sooner or later. Like you said with your PS, once you get some real accomplishments under your belt you won't feel compelled to get fake recognition because it will not be as rewarding

Awe thank you :h:

Agreed, for sure! I've seen it get to the point where people just tune out when they realise everything's completely sugar-coated. It wastes both peoples' time and no one really benefits. This is a really hard issue though, for those who take pride in making people happy :smile: I think the hardest thing is understanding and accepting that even when things like being honest don't seem to fix the problem at the time, it really does in the long run!

I definitely get that it's hard to draw a line between the right amount of "sugar" and the right amount of honesty. Tbh, that line probably differs person to person
Reply 58
Original post by Student403
Awe thank you :h:

Agreed, for sure! I've seen it get to the point where people just tune out when they realise everything's completely sugar-coated. It wastes both peoples' time and no one really benefits. This is a really hard issue though, for those who take pride in making people happy :smile: I think the hardest thing is understanding and accepting that even when things like being honest don't seem to fix the problem at the time, it really does in the long run!

I definitely get that it's hard to draw a line between the right amount of "sugar" and the right amount of honesty. Tbh, that line probably differs person to person

Very true, I guess you have to find out what works best for you and the other people.
You will be a better person by achieving honesty with yourself and acceptance of it, plus you may gain a strong path to becoming an objectively more excellent person! :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest