Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    You will lose the weight don't worry just do those simple things I mentioned

Forget all that calorie counting b.s. seriously. Nutrition is simple and does NOT need to be complex with all this calorie counting...not only will it drive you insane it will also make you spin your wheels and often leads to discouragement thus you end up not really achieving your goal and youre back to square 1.
    Calorie counting isn't complex and it can work really well for some people, so I wouldn't just go ruling it off. Ultimately you will need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight so whether you like it or not you will need to consume less calories then you need to maintain. To try and ensure that this happens, people will exercise, cut out carbs, eat more protein, eat more fruit etc... so they think that those are the direct causes when ultimately it comes down to consuming less calories (and burning more with the exercise). It all comes down to discipline + what you can mentally cope with (different things can be stressful for people)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Harriett071)
    Well considering I'm 90 pounds, 1200 is fine for me. In her case, it's not going to hurt, she's doing more harm to her body now by being overweight. It's not to maintain either, it's to lose weight, that's what many health professionals recommend to those with an overweight BMI/unhealthy lifestyle. Once they've lost what needed, you can eat what you need to maintain.
    And you say you're a healthy weight!!?? If you're 5ft that makes you a 17.2 on the BMI scale - you know by NHS criteria, you could be diagnosed with anorexia, yes? No kidding and not picking at you, what I'm reading is genuinely concerning and you seem to be in denial about your bodyweight being healthy, when it's far from.

I speak to a number of fully qualified nutritionists as I'm involved in various circles of gym-goers and fighters, I know for a fact that none of them would recommend what you're recommending. I think you have an eating disorder - again, not trying to insult you, this is genuinely concerning.

ReputationRep:
    1200 is the absolute minimum the average person can eat without becoming unhealthy. I don't know her weight or height, that's why I said the average amount. I'm 5ft so I can eat less than that and be fine, but as I said that might not apply to her
    Biomed here.

This is nonsense.

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    And you say you're a healthy weight!!?? If you're 5ft that makes you a 17.2 on the BMI scale - you know by NHS criteria, you could be diagnosed with anorexia, yes? No kidding and not picking at you, what I'm reading is genuinely concerning and you seem to be in denial about your bodyweight being healthy, when it's far from.

I speak to a number of fully qualified nutritionists as I'm involved in various circles of gym-goers and fighters, I know for a fact that none of them would recommend what you're recommending. I think you have an eating disorder - again, not trying to insult you, this is genuinely concerning.
    Considering I have a personal trainer, I think he'd refuse to train me if he thought I was anorexic 😂 I'm perfectly fine thank you, anorexia is a state of mind, a mental illness not just a body weight! I have a great body and I'm not ashamed of it. So no I'm not anorexic and BMI isn't good to go off when you're under the average height, or have a lot of muscle mass. I don't take any notice of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AliceVN)
    I'm a girl, a little bit chubby, BMI is 24 and I want to lose 5 weights...
    any suggestions?
    Okay first of all what do you mean by 5 weights? Weights is not a measurement.
    Do you want to lose 5lbs? 5 kilograms? what?

First thing is you need to know your height and your weight (kg or lbs doesn't matter)

Secondly you need to punch those 2 numbers into a TDEE calculator, this will help you determine what you TDEE is which it the amount of calories you need as an individual (not any of this average nonsense) to maintain your weight.

Then you need to eat LESS than that amount of calories. 500 calories less to lose approximately 1lb a week and 1000 less to lose approximately 2lbs a week. Or whatever numbers in between. However do make sure that you are eating a healthy and balanced diet, and if you can and are not sure how low in calories you can go speak to your doctor, they will inform you what is best for YOUR health. Again, non of the average nonsense.

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    Biomed here.

This is nonsense.
    Aww thanks for your opinion

ReputationRep:
    It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

You cannot blanket statement a number of calories that is "healthy" for the whole population of the earth. It's nonsensical and there are outliers. And this isn't even taking into account gender, activity, age, race and medical conditions.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

You cannot blanket statement a number of calories that is "healthy" for the whole population of the earth. It's nonsensical and there are outliers. And this isn't even taking into account gender, activity, age, race and medical conditions.
    I said average, not the entire population. I wasn't going to ask her 100 questions, I have no interest in this, if she wants to take my advice then she's welcome to, if not that's fine too. I'm really not invested in this 😂

ReputationRep:
    Lose weights?

Hide them where you can't find it...

ReputationRep:
    Mine was 16.something which falls into the underweight category, a year ago. Now, a year later, my BMI is around 21. I want to lose weight too, but I've barely lost anything. Drink lots of water, have more fruit and veg, walk everywhere, do some cardio in your room or go to the gym (I go to the gym, but I also do ab workouts in my room as well star jumps, because come on, star jumps are fun and they make me sweat xD). Oh, I also make sure I get loads of sex, good sex makes you sweat like there's no tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I said average, not the entire population. I wasn't going to ask her 100 questions, I have no interest in this, if she wants to take my advice then she's welcome to, if not that's fine too. I'm really not invested in this 😂
    Average are absolutely useless to an individual trying to lose weight.
    If I ate the "average or recommended daily" amount of calories a woman needs I would gain 1lb a week.
    And that is why I strongly dislike the use of averages when giving someone weight loss advice.

Average are absolutely useless to an individual trying to lose weight.
    If I ate the "average or recommended daily" amount of calories a woman needs I would gain 1lb a week.
    And that is why I strongly dislike the use of average's when giving someone weight loss advice.
    Okie dokie

ReputationRep:
    WHY YOU ALWAYS LYING FOR?!
    but srsly you are giving **** advice...

Edit: I feel like you should have gotten the message by now.

But still; STOP ****ING LYIN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PusE)
    Mine was 16.something which falls into the underweight category, a year ago. Now, a year later, my BMI is around 21. I want to lose weight too, but I've barely lost anything. Drink lots of water, have more fruit and veg, walk everywhere, do some cardio in your room or go to the gym (I go to the gym, but I also do ab workouts in my room as well star jumps, because come on, star jumps are fun and they make me sweat xD). Oh, I also make sure I get loads of sex, good sex makes you sweat like there's no tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can confirm.

ReputationRep:
    Can confirm.
    Are you in a relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by 0range)
    WHY YOU ALWAYS LYING FOR?!
    but srsly you are giving **** advice...
    Lying? I haven't lied once 😂😂 and my advice is good I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PusE)
    Are you in a relationship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I'm just a ho.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No I jest, I'm in a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Lying? I haven't lied once 😂😂 and my advice is good I know
    No it isn't.

Nice to see you didn't learn anything.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm just a ho.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No I jest, I'm in a relationship.
    Oh Damn. I was going to ask if you'd let me make you ***. Lesbian style.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PusE)
    Oh Damn. I was going to ask if you'd let me make you ***. Lesbian style.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm. Tempting offer, but I do value faithfulness. So, going to have to pass.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.