Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Britain becoming like Sweden in relation to expressing views on mass immigration? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Seraphina~)
    Excellent post, very eloquently put!

PS: I'm actually from a Commonwealth country and require a visa to stay in the UK, and thus it's natural that I support a Brexit.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Bupdeeboowah. Hi Bill Cosby

I think its silly of England to continue welcoming foreigners into their country who don't speak English, who do not have respect for the common law, who do not embrace British values, who want to abuse the various benefits system which was meant for English citizens in the first place and I could go on all day.

If you look across all the universities in England, many of the professors and teaching staff are foreigners from EU. They are the ones who are shouting from the rooftops against UK pulling out of the EU. You know why? Because if UK does pull out of the EU, this means that they may lose their jobs after their teaching contract comes to an end. You know why? Because if UK does pull out of EU, in future anyone who wants to apply for work in the UK must go through a proper work permit system. This also means that people from EU will then have to compete with people from the rest of the world including the Commonwealth when it comes to applying for jobs in the UK.

Many of you are probably clueless because you have either never stepped out of England, your teachers did not teach you this in your classrooms or you have very little general knowledge on this matter. The current EU rules discriminates anyone from the Commonwealth countries and favors people from EU including those from Bulgaria and Romania and the like.

The Commonwealth is made up of 53 countries and 2.2 billion people. They were former colonies of England and fought many wars on England's behalf. These countries speak English as their first language, respect and use the Common law, believe in and exercise democracy and so on. But the present situation is that people from the Commonwealth can't get jobs in the UK. These jobs go to people from the EU. Oh the irony.

UK must pull out of EU before it is too late. You can't rely on your ministers because most of them have never had a proper day's work in their lives, are wondering how to claim more expenses fraudulently, do not understand what it's like to be a normal average citizen struggling in these harsh economic times and so on.
    In reference to the bold, not everybody is as dumb as you, so don't assume we all are.

If you had a present government which was headed by someone like Margaret Thatcher then[*]UK would never have gone to war with Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan
    You're right, we would have led those wars, not "gone" with them

[*]There would not have been extreme radicalism in UK
    Because it would have been already in government

[*]The number and wages of police officers and teachers would not have suffered massive cuts
    Yeah right.

[*]The legal aid would not have been cut
    Yeah right

[*]The NHS would not be overcrowded, schools won't have shortage of place
    The NHS would not be overcrowded because it will have been fully privatised. There would be no shortage of places in schools because there would be a lack of demand what with the high fees they would all charge.

[*]There wouldn't be a need to build a council house every 7 mins to house a person from EU
    There wouldn't be a council house left, nor any legal right to for them to be built.

Look at the u-turn Angela Merkel made recently. First she welcomed the refugees with open arms but then later she realized that many of them were economic migrants and quite possibly terrorists and so now she wants to put in place border controls. But according to EU rules, once you set foot on EU soil and you are a refugee or asylum seeker, your application will be fast-tracked and you will receive your travel papers and you are free to move in and about the other countries that form EU. and where do you think these people will want to go to?
    Er, Sweden?

The UK of course because these people know that[*]the English currency is strong compared to the failed Euro
    Both currencies are relatively weak with equivalent purchasing powers.

[*]the English government is weak and will give out various benefits to them
    Not the current one

[*]the English government will give these people big houses
    Of course they will

[*]and the fact that England keeps harping on Human Rights means that these refugees/economic migrants can bring their entire village over to the UK with ease
    In fact the current government wants to abolish the Human Rights Act.

[/list]Then why does UK need the border agency or immigration staff at her airports? On one hand you are preventing highly educated people from the Commonwealth who genuinely want to work in the UK but on the other hand you happily welcome these refugees/economic migrants who will be relying on government handout for the rest of their lives. Oh the irony.
    Do you miss the BNP since its collapse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates;[url="tel:60157241")
    60157241[/url]]I love immigration, i know many others who do too. Only people who don't are the ones who can't on in life - unemployed, not happy with their own situation and simply want to blame others are largely anti immigration lol. Especially those on benefits #Jeez! #BenefitWarfare

They're taking our council houses LOL when Dave is selling them by the 1000s every month!
    What a bunch of ****. I'm happily employed and no one I work with sees any point in bringing in foreigners to do work in for a fraction of the pay we demand for it. Immigration is how big business keep wages low and the workers currently here are definitely waking up to it. The only people I know who are pro immigration are students (who strangely become anti once they spend 6 months unemployed after their degree lol) and people living in leafy suburbs where immigration is a distant issue for them. No competing for school places, jobs, doctors/dentists appointments, housing etc.

If Cameron was selling thousands of them of every month there would be no social housing at all in months. That's a blatant lie.

And anyway right to buy is a good idea. Property ownership is a strong step in the right direction for anyone rising up out of poverty (some organisations even consider it a human right). The alternative is to keep the current situation of poor=renters, rich=homeowners. The only mistake was banking the money and not using it to build more social housing but this was done under Maggie Thatcher. David Cameron's government is actually building housing.

But keep pretending that more people doesn't = less resources to spread around per individual. I mean it's not like it's basic economics or anything...LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    No UKIP voter here, but you're being disingenuous here. Former BNP members are banned from UKIP so what you say can't possibly be true.
    I was referring to voters, not members.

Also consider that BNP's support has always been relatively minuscule.
    It was more than half a million in 2010 and at one point had more than 50 councillors and 2 MEPs (twice the number of Liberal Democrat MEPs now)

UKIP originally started out as Tories who were too Tory even for the Tories. These days they have this immigration rhetoric to appeal to people who don't care about the EU and it's effect on business.
    That's for the BNP vote

The truth is that UKIP's policies aren't even anti-immigration to any real degree. It's pretty much the same as Auatralia's and hardly anyone calls them racist for it. It's to treat all people equally no matter where they're from based on what they could contribute, while current policy is to give Europeans (who are mostly white) privilege for literally no reason other than they're European. If any policy is racist, ironically it's that.
    That is ridiculously simplistic and reflects a complete misunderstanding about what EU accession is all about, and the reality of regional trading blocs (which if you notice are forming across the world)

I myself support the principal of an EU which is why I am against UKIP but to straight up lie about them and misrepresent them as many do does nobody any favours I'm afraid
    Where have I lied? The only lies here are coming from the UKIP posters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Well said! Especially agree with the part of former colonies being sold out for EU deprived states.
    Thank you for the feedback. Watch this video to see how the Europeans react with fear whenever the issue of whether immigration and UK should pull out of the EU comes up for discussion. Very revealing! Watch from 4:57 onwards. Let me know what you guys think.

(Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    Excellent post, very eloquently put! PS: I'm actually from a Commonwealth country and require a visa to stay in the UK, and thus it's natural that I support a Brexit.
    Hi Bupdeeboowah. Thank you for your feedback and giving me rep for my post. Which Commonwealth country are you from? I heard that people from the Commonwealth respect law and order, believe and practice democracy and so on. You are very lucky to be from the Commonwealth

ReputationRep:
    Excellent post, very eloquently put!

PS: I'm actually from a Commonwealth country and require a visa to stay in the UK, and thus it's natural that I support a Brexit.
    You do realise that most people who vote for the right wing Brexit parities don't want you here either? The rhetoric of these voters is always, "this country is full", "there aren't enough houses", "I don't want to loose green space", "our NHS won't cope", etc etc

ReputationRep:
    Hi Bupdeeboowah. Thank you for your feedback and giving me rep for my post. Which Commonwealth country are you from? I heard that people from the Commonwealth respect law and order, believe and practice democracy and so on. You are very lucky to be from the Commonwealth
    I shan't reveal where I am from since this is the internet, though all I'll say is that my home country had a high net immigration as part of the ruling government's policy. Needless to say, this brought along quite a few social problems, and the populace was very unhappy, leading to a major electoral shift in the election which followed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rat_Bag)
    You do realise that most people who vote for the right wing Brexit parities don't want you here either? The rhetoric of these voters is always, "this country is full", "there aren't enough houses", "I don't want to loose green space", "our NHS won't cope", etc etc
    That's besides the point - if the UK is out of the EU, then the work visa quotas will be raised to accommodate the number of EU applicants, who can no longer move to the UK freely - and this in turn will hopefully benefit visa applicants like me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Recent polling does not mean a thing. Had polls got their way Miliband would be in government. Last election surprisingly had UKIP take larger chunks out of Labour's 18-35 range when the opposite was expected. Tory voters cry about their discontent for the EU but when push comes to shove they always opt for the status quo because of fear politics. Cameron will make up a bunch of lies and watch all those eurosceptic Tory voters run back to Cameron's feet. I'm telling you the in campaign will wipe the floor with the out campaign
    And polling also put UKIP as getting just one MP and the Lib Dems getting what they got. When you look at the general attitude of this country the hysterical "the country are cowards" post you made is simply so far from reality.

Looking at the situation and sentiment my gauge is a close exit. Polls can support that as well-I base my views on the former, the latter is just interesting. And like I said, the polls were correct for Lib Dem/UKIP/Green/SNP/Plaid, Irish parties etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I believe in comparison to the savage EU countries of Romania, Bulgaria and Latvia, the Commonwealth countries of Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nigeria (population of these countries combined is more than that of the EU) have excellent reputations for respect of law and order, and believe and practice democracy.

And don't forget that the people of the Commonwealth countries of India, Sierra Leone, and Malawi enjoy living standards light years ahead of impoverished EU countries of Luxembourg, France and Germany

And I hear the level of tolerance for gays in Commonwealth countries such as Uganda, Brunei and Jamaica is superb (they even get the death penalty in Brunei) compared to those hell holes of intolerance such as Holland, Belgium and Czech.

Oh, and I believe they speak much better English in Rwanda, Mozambique and Cameroon compared to those unlettered peoples of Denmark, Sweden and Finland

Yes we really do have more in common with the Commonwealth than with the EU

ReputationRep:
    That's besides the point - if the UK is out of the EU, then the work visa quotas will be raised to accommodate the number of EU applicants, who can no longer move to the UK freely - and this in turn will hopefully benefit visa applicants like me.
    It will make it worse, since the Brexitesque parties (and that does partially include the Conservatives) are intent on this ridiculous cap in immigration (set very low because of the simplistic demands of their voters), so with the UK out, you'll be competing with the whole of the EU for the same number of visas.

ReputationRep:
    I shan't reveal where I am from since this is the internet, though all I'll say is that my home country had a high net immigration as part of the ruling government's policy. Needless to say, this brought along quite a few social problems, and the populace was very unhappy, leading to a major electoral shift in the election which followed.
    So you complain about immigration being a "problem" in your home country, then proceed to contribute to this very same alleged "problem" of another country. How very reflective a person you are

ReputationRep:
    It will make it worse, since the Brexitesque parties (and that does partially include the Conservatives) are intent on this ridiculous cap in immigration (set very low because of the simplistic demands of their voters), so with the UK out, you'll be competing with the whole of the EU for the same number of visas.
    Unlikely that the government would freeze those quotas, given the number of EU workers already in the UK. And I'll have to admit that the salary I will be earning will actually put me at the higher end of visa applicants, so that would actually be of some help if my application is to be compared with "more normal" EU applications.

ReputationRep:
    So you complain about immigration being a "problem" in your home country, then proceed to contribute to this very same alleged "problem" of another country. How very reflective a person you are
    Precisely! I am only motivated by my self-interests.

ReputationRep:
    Immigration is fine in moderation and at an acceptable pace, highly skilled/shortage workers are definitely needed. We've quite clearly messed up on that though, and thus certain places in this country are segregated as all hell and honestly it complete ruins culture/cities. Some people like it, most of the native people I know don't.

(Original post by Leeds98)
    What a bunch of ****. I'm happily employed and no one I work with sees any point in bringing in foreigners to do work in for a fraction of the pay we demand for it. Immigration is how big business keep wages low and the workers currently here are definitely waking up to it. The only people I know who are pro immigration are students (who strangely become anti once they spend 6 months unemployed after their degree lol) and people living in leafy suburbs where immigration is a distant issue for them. No competing for school places, jobs, doctors/dentists appointments, housing etc.

If Cameron was selling thousands of them of every month there would be no social housing at all in months. That's a blatant lie.

And anyway right to buy is a good idea. Property ownership is a strong step in the right direction for anyone rising up out of poverty (some organisations even consider it a human right). The alternative is to keep the current situation of poor=renters, rich=homeowners. The only mistake was banking the money and not using it to build more social housing but this was done under Maggie Thatcher. David Cameron's government is actually building housing.

But keep pretending that more people doesn't = less resources to spread around per individual. I mean it's not like it's basic economics or anything...LOL.
    All of this post rings exactly true in my own experience, employed with a pretty good job. I work with immigrants from Europe, they are extremely qualified, smart and are doing much needed jobs that actually contribute to this economy. Therefore I think they are definitely needed but from my experience there is a huge percentage of immigrants working for less than min wage and an even bigger % working low skilled jobs that we don't need.

Nobody is going to say it but we don't actually want them here (a large proportion of people in the least).

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely that the government would freeze those quotas, given the number of EU workers already in the UK. And I'll have to admit that the salary I will be earning will actually put me at the higher end of visa applicants, so that would actually be of some help if my application is to be compared with "more normal" EU applications.
    The Conservatives talk about a blanket quota, covering immigration under all visas, be their highly skilled work visas or student visas, etc etc.

Insane policy, but then again I am biased, since I am favourable to immigration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    And polling also put UKIP as getting just one MP and the Lib Dems getting what they got. When you look at the general attitude of this country the hysterical "the country are cowards" post you made is simply so far from reality.

Looking at the situation and sentiment my gauge is a close exit. Polls can support that as well-I base my views on the former, the latter is just interesting. And like I said, the polls were correct for Lib Dem/UKIP/Green/SNP/Plaid, Irish parties etc etc.
    The exit polls were but the ones before were a complete muck up.

Do you honestly believe people will vote to leave when Labour, Conservatives, Unions, Tory donors, Lib Dems, SNP, Plaid, Greens, the EU and the rest of the establishment all spout out rubbish like leaving the EU will lose your job, your pension, your opportunities, your rights, your security and almost everything? Because that is exactly what they are going to say and since majority of the electorate can not think for themselves will they take the risk or just face up to what the EU is and vote to stay?

I don't care but anyone who thinks there is even a chance people will vote to leave with 99% of the media, the whole establishment and all the top businesses saying we should stay is just...I do not even know the word.

ReputationRep:
    No, we are gradually going the opposite way, fortunately. If you look at how immigration was treated a decade ago in the UK, almost a taboo, compared to it being the forefront of public debate now, we are obviously making progress.

Sweden has been run by a party almost more bananas than Corbyn's Labour or the Greens (in terms of immigration) for years now. As someone else mentioned: Sweden is a lost cause.

ReputationRep:
    No, the ones before were correct for the above parties.

Do you honestly believe people will vote to leave when Labour, Conservatives, Unions, Tory donors, Lib Dems, SNP, Plaid, Greens, the EU and the rest of the establishment all spout out rubbish like leaving the EU will lose your job, your pension, your opportunities, your rights, your security and almost everything? Because that is exactly what they are going to say and since majority of the electorate can not think for themselves will they take the risk or just face up to what the EU is and vote to stay?

I don't care but anyone who thinks there is even a chance people will vote to leave with 99% of the media, the whole establishment and all the top businesses saying we should stay is just...I do not even know the word.
    The media are pretty against the EU, there is no conspiracy. People will vote to leave; they are pissed at the UK being taken over like Sweden is. Khan as Mayor? I would literally never set foot in London again. Labour in government? I would leave the country asap.

We shall just have to wait and see though; PM me when the referendum comes-I still have faith that the British people won't vote for their destruction of their own culture, society and finances.

ReputationRep:

It's funny how you often refer to objective and evidence based arguments as "rubbish" but then tell lies about the reality on the ground.

You talk as if all the institutions of power are homogeneously europhilic, which is completely delusional (delusional states being ever so common within UKIP supporters). Large sections of the Conservative Party, including top tier politicians, are strongly Eurosceptic and will campaign for the UK to leave. Several Tory donors including one of it's largest, Peter Cruddas is bankrolling the main Out campaign. There are eurosceptic Labour MPs (including Jeremy Corbyn), including some who are actively campaigning to leave, and John Mills (their largest individual donor) is bankrolling the main Out campaign. Many unions oppose the EU, including the joke political party that they stand under in election (used to be NO2EU, now it's got a long name). The Green Party's Mayoral candidate for London is campaigning to leave the EU.

What you believe is either complete delusion, or you are knowingly lying (again).

The Daily Mail and Daily Express are staunchly supporting the UK to leave.

The Sun and Daily Telegraph are eurosceptic papers (how they will position themselves come referendum is another matter)

That's a big proportion of the daily press readership

Anyway, you are either a liar or delusional.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.