Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do TSR people ever meet up for nights out IRL? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Or just make a dedicated plan to do something with TSR people? Why don't people have a general love of getting ****ed up
    It could be a fun night, but even without the TSR position on going out being so negative I'm not sure that just belonging to the same internet community is enough to get people to make the effort. This being said its becoming a better idea the more I think about it, a completely different night out; new people, new clubs and not that much that could really go wrong. Surely there are people reading this thread who are at least on the fence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    You mean, like you presumably do at a bar or nightclub when deciding whom to approach and arriving at that choice based upon superficial notions of personality and aesthetic appeal? Like someone who crosses the street to avoid a gang of hooded youths based solely upon the statistically greater likelihood of a violent confrontation? Like literally every recruitment consultant and prospective employer, ever?

Well, obviously.
    Are you a recruitment consultant and prospective employer? There is a difference between judging somebody before you know them, and a first impression. No recruitment consultant will make a judgement on a candidate based solely off of their CV/Cover letter. They will form an impression, not a judgement.

I do not approach people in nightclubs based upon 'superficial notions of personality'. It's mostly looks, how they dance, how they move, how they conduct themselves.

When was the last time you left the accommodation/cave you currently reside in? You cross the street to avoid a gathering of 'hooded' children? Really? You're that guy?
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    They happen occasionally, I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    most of us go bowling alone

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3667857

ReputationRep:
    Are you a recruitment consultant and prospective employer? There is a difference between judging somebody before you know them, and a first impression. No recruitment consultant will make a judgement on a candidate based solely off of their CV/Cover letter. They will form an impression, not a judgement.
    I cited examples of decision-makers who must negotiate a compromise between fairness and expediency in order to maximise utility whilst at the same time avoiding excessive discrimination, thereby serving to promote operational efficiency in a manner deemed ethically tolerable by whatever (hopefully benevolent) executive body regulates such matters on behalf of society at large.

Equally, by analogy with any potential relationship, one will employ a combination of 'baseline' criteria which are inflexible (e.g. no white-supremacists; no habitual smokers) and others that are perhaps more amenable to persuasion. Is the girl with the buzzcut and the swastika tattoo a white-supremacist? Empirical reasoning presents this as overwhelmingly likely; but do I know it for a fact? Technically, no: however, as one who works 45 hours of the week and will probably be ravaged by tumours within fifty years, I am sadly reliant upon such generalisations to manage my time productively in a world where opportunities are finite. Consequently—and however unfairly—prudence dictates that I must eliminate swastika-girl in favour of prospects which are more auspicious, or at least less (superficially) dubious in character; romantically, as well as professionally.

Ultimately, all decision-making involves judgment; and, as anyone who was rejected without interview from Oxford for achieving fewer than five GCSE A*s will undoubtedly agree, most judgments are to some degree arbitrary for reasons of economic necessity.

I do not approach people in nightclubs based upon 'superficial notions of personality'. It's mostly looks, how they dance, how they move, how they conduct themselves.
    You'd presume to "truly know" someone based upon such cursory impressions? Of course not; hence "superficial notions". It's a rueful critique of social reality, not a slight against your own character.

When was the last time you left the accommodation/cave you currently reside in? You cross the street to avoid a gathering of 'hooded' children? Really? You're that guy?
    The guy who doesn't get himself mugged out of misplaced bravado? The guy who narrowly averted an express ticket to A&E (or worse) because his friend happened to be present as a witness and they "wouldn't hit a girl"? Apparently so. I guess you must be the other guy.

ReputationRep:
    I cited examples of decision-makers who must negotiate a compromise between fairness and expediency in order to maximise utility whilst at the same time avoiding excessive discrimination, thereby serving to promote operational efficiency in a manner deemed ethically tolerable by whatever (hopefully benevolent) executive body regulates such matters on behalf of society at large.

Equally, by analogy with any potential relationship, one will employ a combination of 'baseline' criteria which are inflexible (e.g. no white-supremacists; no habitual smokers) and others that are perhaps more amenable to persuasion. Is the girl with the buzzcut and the swastika tattoo a white-supremacist? Empirical reasoning presents this as overwhelmingly likely; but do I know it for a fact? Technically, no: however, as one who works 45 hours of the week and will probably be ravaged by tumours within fifty years, I am sadly reliant upon such generalisations to manage my time productively in a world where opportunities are finite. Consequently—and however unfairly—prudence dictates that I must eliminate swastika-girl in favour of prospects which are more auspicious, or at least less (superficially) dubious in character. Romantically, as well as professionally.

Ultimately, all decision-making involves judgment; and, as anyone with the most basic understanding of university admissions policy cannot possibly fail to agree, most judgments are to some degree arbitrary for reasons of efficiency.

You'd presume to "truly know" someone based upon such cursory impressions? Of course not; hence "superficial notions". It's a rueful critique of social reality, not a slight against your own character.

The guy who doesn't get himself mugged out of misplaced bravado? The guy who narrowly averted an express ticket to A&E (or worse) because his friend happened to be present as a witness and they "wouldn't hit a girl"? Apparently so. I guess you must be the other guy.
    You're using extreme examples here. There really shouldn't be a 'baseline criteria' other than the extreme examples you have used. It's narrow minded. Let's get back on topic. You're response was very cynical, I found. Why do you treat human interaction with such ruthless 'efficiency'? What purpose does that serve? Are you an introvert?

You talked about approaching somebody, not getting to truely know them. The basis upon which I'd approach them is mostly visual attributes. Aesthetics. I'm a visual creature. Nothing to do with wanting to or claiming to truely know them.

ReputationRep:

Equally, by analogy with any potential relationship, one will employ a combination of 'baseline' criteria which are inflexible (e.g. no white-supremacists; no habitual smokers) and others that are perhaps more amenable to persuasion. Is the girl with the buzzcut and the swastika tattoo a white-supremacist? Empirical reasoning presents this as overwhelmingly likely; but do I know it for a fact? Technically, no: however, as one who works 45 hours of the week and will probably be ravaged by tumours within fifty years, I am sadly reliant upon such generalisations to manage my time productively in a world where opportunities are finite. Consequently—and however unfairly—prudence dictates that I must eliminate swastika-girl in favour of prospects which are more auspicious, or at least less (superficially) dubious in character. Romantically, as well as professionally.

Ultimately, all decision-making involves judgment; and, as anyone who was rejected without interview from Oxford for achieving fewer than five GCSE A*s will undoubtedly agree, most judgments are to some degree arbitrary for reasons of economic necessity.

This. This is why people don't meet up from TSR.

This is such a simple thread talking about meeting up on TSR. By page three we have this overly complex, pseudo-intellectual stuff coming out.

I put in bold the bits that take a normal social interaction (meeting people) and make it just plain weird. We went from a simple discussion about humans meeting each other to this-a long essay with lots of fancy words.

Meet up with other people on TSR at your peril; if meeting people is as complicated as the above god help you when they have to cross a road and in order to decide where to cross start;

investigating the optimum "baseline criteria",
    "operational efficiency",
    impact on "society at large",
    consider "empirical reasoning"
    the "arbitrary reasoning" and "generalisations" that will impact the result,
    how to best deal with the "cursory impressions".

The above is all from the post above. Way to over-complicate such a simple idea. Meet up with someone and talk like this; they will look scared and walk away before you even got to discussing how "amenable to persuasion" you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)

This is such a simple thread talking about meeting up on TSR. By page three we have this overly complex, pseudo-intellectual stuff coming out.

I put in bold the bits that take a normal social interaction (meeting people) and make it just plain weird. We went from a simple discussion about humans meeting each other to this-a long essay with lots of fancy words.

Meet up with other people on TSR at your peril; if meeting people is as complicated as the above god help you when they have to cross a road and in order to decide where to cross start;

The above is all from the post above. Way to over-complicate such a simple idea. Meet up with someone and talk like this; they will look scared and walk away before you even got to discussing how "amenable to persuasion" you are.
    The mock conversation on page 1 of this thread was a joke, but I'm starting to think it might not be so far off the truth lol

ReputationRep:
    F the whole last thread thing i'm addicted

So yeah do people actually do this?
    There have been loads and loads of TSR meets and many people on here have even gone on holiday together and become genuine friends.

ReputationRep:
    You're using extreme examples here. There really shouldn't be a 'baseline criteria' other than the extreme examples you have used. It's narrow minded. Let's get back on topic. You're response was very cynical, I found. Why do you treat human interaction with such ruthless 'efficiency'? What purpose does that serve? Are you an introvert?

You talked about approaching somebody, not getting to truely know them. The basis upon which I'd approach them is mostly visual attributes. Aesthetics. I'm a visual creature. Nothing to do with wanting to or claiming to truely know them.
    Since we are discussing the "baseline criteria" we have, I will state mine;
    no being a massive nerd. Sheldon Cooper could not match this thread. I mean... I am lost for words.

(Original post by Student403)
    The mock conversation on page 1 of this thread was a joke, but I'm starting to think it might not be so far off the truth lol
    The saddest part is that these guys (can't remember usernames) actually go around with this haughty attitude, like they are so clever. They think that these big long essays make them really clever. It actually doesn't. It makes them look really, really sad.

ReputationRep:

I know, I was trying to be nice and was thinking of a way to respond without me getting banned. You should of seen my face reading it. I had to remind myself constantly...this is TSR...this is TSR. It would be amazing if he/she actually spoke like that in person. When I'm typing, I try and make it sound like how I would speak in person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    There have been loads and loads of TSR meets and many people on here have even gone on holiday together and become genuine friends.
    This sounds amazing. I'm guessing this doesn't happen with todays TSR though?

ReputationRep:
    Not always, but I'm quite adept at keeping myself stimulated, and the resulting increased tolerance for solitude means I can impose a more stringent (or "ruthless", if you will) baseline for discretionary social interaction than most.

Be that as it may, since approaching someone (or allowing them to approach you) is generally also a pre-requisite to "getting to truly know" them, short of approaching everyone you'll inevitably make superficial judgments in order to reduce the plethora of potential romantic interests to a more manageable subset.

Of course, if you're of a socially progressive mindset then you'll naturally endeavour to ensure that those judgments are as equitable and free from unwarranted stigma or prejudice as possible; but realistically speaking there's no escaping the necessity.

ReputationRep:
    I'd totally meet up with peeps from here to discuss life, people, philosophy, politics, history, international-relations, religion and the like over tea/coffee be that out somewhere or in somewhere...

But a night out as in alcohol and clubbing/bars? Ewww nooooo. I've rather sit on a toilet seat licking my own feet for a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    Not always, but I'm quite adept at keeping myself stimulated, and the resulting increased tolerance for solitude means I can impose a more stringent (or "ruthless", if you will) baseline for discretionary social interaction than most.

Be that as it may, since approaching someone (or allowing them to approach you) is generally also a pre-requisite to "getting to truly know" them, short of approaching everyone you'll inevitably make superficial judgments in order to reduce the plethora of potential romantic interests to a more manageable subset.

Of course, if you're of a socially progressive mindset then you'll naturally endeavour to ensure that those judgments are as equitable and free from unwarranted stigma or prejudice as possible; but realistically speaking there's no escaping the necessity.
    If you are this articulate in person, I would definitely buy you a beer and chat with you. I feel this may frighten you though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TorpidPhil)
    I'd totally meet up with peeps from here to discuss life, people, philosophy, politics, history, international-relations, religion and the like over tea/coffee be that out somewhere or in somewhere...

But a night out as in alcohol and clubbing/bars? Ewww nooooo. I've rather sit on a toilet seat licking my own feet for a few hours.
    I would meet up with you just to see you do that. What's wrong with bars man? It's a perfectly appropriate venue to accommodate the things you've described, i.e. talking. And why should the talking have to be so deep haha?

ReputationRep:
    I know, I was trying to be nice and was thinking of a way to respond without me getting banned. You should of seen my face reading it. I had to remind myself constantly...this is TSR...this is TSR.
    After being on here for a few months you quickly realise that some posters are just plain ridiculous. They will argue a stupid point and believe that when you refuse to even engage in the topic or debate it that they have won said argument, that they are some intellectual giant. Like I said before, just sad.

I mean that post i quoted the guy/girl was probably thinking the whole way through (and still is thinking);
    "I bet I will look really clever now, and this person I am quoting will look like a right fool". Ironically these types never realise that actually they look very silly, the clever person is the one who doesn't waste their time talking about this rubbish, and they are the one looking foolish. And that is the problem with TSR meetings; some will be nice people, yes. But there will always be that one guy who is such a weirdo they cannot even see it and when others try and point it out the weirdo just thinks they are winning some argument even more. The whole group would thus feel down when every little point becomes some big argument.

In this case even the prospect of meeting up turned into an all out pseudo-intellectual absolute essay' god help anyone who wants to actually meet up now. I shall re-read it now just to be in awe at how such a simple topic (human contact) about an enjoyable pastime (meeting up) is made into an absolute chore of the most bizarre kind possible.

ReputationRep:
    I would meet up with you just to see you do that. What's wrong with bars man? It's a perfectly appropriate venue to accommodate the things you've described, i.e. talking. And why should the talking have to be so deep haha?
    Because otherwise I get bored. We're going to be out all night, right? What's the point venturing out to meet folks for a couple of hours? That's a waste of time. Most people are not going to be open enough with me to talk about their personal woes and/or aspirations within the first night of meeting, although I would be willing to do such. The only alternative then is to talk about such so called "deep topics" in order to facilitate none boring discussion and give me my little fix of social interaction which I crave so badly despite finding most people incredibly boring :|

I hate bars. You cannot have anything but superficial conversation. They are over-stimulating. So one cannot focus on what one wants to. I get headaches. They tire me out. I hate being around drunk people and I don't drink myself. There is no reason at all for me to be in a bar.

ReputationRep:
    After being on here for a few months you quickly realise that some posters are just plain ridiculous. They will argue a stupid point and believe that when you refuse to even engage in the topic or debate it that they have won said argument, that they are some intellectual giant. Like I said before, just sad.

I mean that post i quoted the guy/girl was probably thinking the whole way through (and still is thinking);
    "I bet I will look really clever now, and this person I am quoting will look like a right fool". Ironically these types never realise that actually they look very silly, the clever person is the one who doesn't waste their time talking about this rubbish, and they are the one looking foolish. And that is the problem with TSR meetings; some will be nice people, yes. But there will always be that one guy who is such a weirdo they cannot even see it and when others try and point it out the weirdo just thinks they are winning some argument even more. The whole group would thus feel down when every little point becomes some big argument.

In this case even the prospect of meeting up turned into an all out pseudo-intellectual absolute essay' god help anyone who wants to actually meet up now. I shall re-read it now just to be in awe at how such a simple topic (human contact) about an enjoyable pastime (meeting up) is made into an absolute chore of the most bizarre kind possible.
    I know the types. And yeah haha, I've been a user of this website for years, just not posted till recently. This is why I think a night out is better, where people are less likely to 'debate'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    This sounds amazing. I'm guessing this doesn't happen with todays TSR though?
    Can confirm, went on holiday last year with two tsrians and a normie.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.