Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Petition so only British citizens can vote in the EU referendum watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    It makes sense to me that British citizens should be voting in such a referendum - I can't think of any other country who would give foreign citizens the right to participate in a national referendum of such huge consequence.

Personally though I don't mind if EU nationals who are UK residents are allowed to vote in this case, as I don't think it will make much difference. Most EU nationals live here by exercising their right of free movement but this does not mean that they have gone through the process of obtaining formal residence, which is necessary for voting.

I will be voting for the UK to stay in the EU anyway. I think it is the best option for the economy and I also don't think immigration from within the EU is the real issue.
    Migration form within the EU is THE BIGGEST CONCERN. How can we reduce net migration while having no controls? it doesn't make any sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    But why do I have more right to be here and have a say in the country I live in just because this is where I was pushed out of my mother's vagina?
    Nothing to do with where you are born, but where you have citizenship. When you vote in a different constituency in the UK, you are already eligible to vote in the parliamentary election, you are voting in a different section of the same system. This does not apply to the EU referendum and countries you have citizenship in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    Migration form within the EU is THE BIGGEST CONCERN. How can we reduce net migration while having no controls? it doesn't make any sense
    I agree that we need to reduce net migration. But for me it is the immigration from outside the EU which is the problem. Most EU citizens are skilled workers and more willing/able to adjust and respect UK customs/way of life.

ReputationRep:
    The United Kingdom and the British people are the same thing. We are the nation. This referendum determines whether the United Kingdom remains in the EU, an issue for the British people to be answered by the British people. If you are not a citizen, why should you have a say in the issue? And for anyone responding with an argument that foreigners pay their taxes and so on, nobody is forcing them to stay and work here, they do so by choice, and even then, if you are living in this country and using the infrastucture and services, why shouldn't you be paying your part? If you want a say so much, become a citizen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    They live here so they have just as much right to decide whether we stay or go as everyone else.
    and what mechanism allowed many of them to live here, the EU!

Bias much??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmm778899)
    and what mechanism allowed many of them to live here, the EU!

Bias much??
    So what if they live here it affects them.

No I'm really not biased on this.

ReputationRep:
    But why do I have more right to be here and have a say in the country I live in just because this is where I was pushed out of my mother's vagina?
    Because if you don't, how would we ever sensibly-control resources?

ReputationRep:
    EU citizen can apply for British Citizenship after 5 years in the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yellow 03)
    Most EU citizens are skilled workers
    Oh really?

So those EU immigrants who make me a cup of coffee in Starbucks are "skilled"?

Those EU immigrants picking strawberries in fields are "skilled"?

Those EU immigrants stacking shelves in supermarkets are "skilled"?

Those Romanians who were sleeping in Hyde Park are "skilled"?

Europe must have an amazingly good education system if the majority of the 1.5 million immigrants since 2004 are highly-skilled!

I think you'll find a very small number of them are highly-skilled!

ReputationRep:
    What you fail to understand is majority of the world believe in borders while the <1% of you lot believe in no borders so don't expect your unrepresentative views to dictate how national and international system works. Its borders that keep the dangerous people out. Without borders there is no control and with no control there is chaos. Thank god you people don't control how things are managed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    EU citizen can apply for British Citizenship after 5 years in the country.
    Which is exactly the problem......

ReputationRep:
    So what if they live here it affects them.
    So what? Why would they vote against the institution which was the sole reason they managed to move to the UK?

Plus there is a greater chance they return to their own country if things go bad here. In other words, they have less long-term interest in the country.

ReputationRep:
    The Leavers seem to be in a bit of a panic.

Especially ironic given that UKIP talks of building new times with the Commonwealth whilst trying to disenfranchise them. We were good enough to be exploited for your Empire, but not to vote on whether to remain in the EU. Says a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmm778899)
    So what? Why would they vote against the institution which was the sole reason they managed to move to the UK?

Plus there is a greater chance they return to their own country if things go bad here. In other words, they have less long-term interest in the country.
    They live here. What happens here affects them. They have as much right as me or you to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Oh really?

So those EU immigrants who make me a cup of coffee in Starbucks are "skilled"?

Those EU immigrants picking strawberries in fields are "skilled"?

Those EU immigrants stacking shelves in supermarkets are "skilled"?

Those Romanians who were sleeping in Hyde Park are "skilled"?

Europe must have an amazingly good education system if the majority of the 1.5 million immigrants since 2004 are highly-skilled!

I think you'll find a very small number of them are highly-skilled!
    So funny how people say EU migrants are highly skilled. Never gets old.

They live here. What happens here affects them. They have as much right as me or you to vote.
    Let us say I live in a rented property. I have rights, sure. But not the full rights the owner has.

Same thing here. These people can come here, they can work, have the same civil and legal rights, but they should not get full rights. They should not be able to interfere in our politics. If I move to Bulgaria or Romania to work and get a work permit on that basis I would be perfectly fine with not being able to vote; after all, it isn't really my country. Yes, I have rights, but not full rights.

(Original post by saxsan4)
    Migrants didn't grow here here and don't have to suffer the consequences of the answer.
    Ignore that guy. If you need to have it explained to you why only Brits should be able to vote on such a matter you really are a lost cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck59)
    The Leavers seem to be in a bit of a panic.
    Its "panic" to ensure the referendum isn't rigged? Seems pretty sensible to me....

ReputationRep:
    But its not their country. They came here and they can just as easily leave here.

They do not have the same ties as British citizens have.

You're not seriously stupid enough to not understand this?

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be better if EU citizens weren't eligible... I mean, couldn't the EU easily just send a few thousand people across the border to vote in the referendum otherwise?

It just seems like people waiting on citizenship will vote to stay in for self-interest reasons. They're the ones that stand to lose if the UK leaves. Once someone gains citizenship, they might be more willing to vote out once it no longer affects them personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Let us say I live in a rented property. I have rights, sure. But not the full rights the owner has.

Same thing here. These people can come here, they can work, have the same civil and legal rights, but they should not get full rights. They should not be able to interfere in our politics. If I move to Bulgaria or Romania to work and get a work permit on that basis I would be perfectly fine with not being able to vote; after all, it isn't really my country. Yes, I have rights, but not full rights.
    If they can vote in EU elections they should be able to vote in this. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    But its not their country. They came here and they can just as easily leave here.

They do not have the same ties as British citizens have.

You're not seriously stupid enough to not understand this?
    I can leave, anyone can leave. If they live here, they are as much affected by what happens here as I am. Not letting them vote is ludicrous.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.