Turn on thread page Beta

Should Cannabis be legalised? watch

• View Poll Results: Should cannabis be legalised?
    Yes
    51.89%
    No
    48.11%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Technically it does occasionally kill people with heart problems, but regardless, yes it should definitely be legal.
    It can also very occasionally cause mental issues in some people who are already inflicted with certain conditions. Then again so can tobacco, alchohol, caffeine, paracetamol, sugar, fat, penicillin, amoxycillin... pretty much anything you choose to put into your body.

Legalise marijuana for recreational use. DECRIMINALISE the possession of other drugs allowing addicts to seek the help they want without any legal proceedings need to take place. Like in the Netherlands or Portugal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    Proven to have health benefits, kills 0 people a year, its not addictive, why is it still illegal yet cigarettes are legal?
    Yes, it should be legal so that people stop obsessing over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    I knew it was vietnamese slaves, but gangs? I thought it was British in charge but using Vietnamese as slaves
    The Vietnamese gangs smuggle their own countrymen to the UK and force them to grow the drugs, which they then sell on to British gangs.

Quite different from how shoes are made in Vietnam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bupdeeboowah)
    The Vietnamese gangs smuggle their own countrymen to the UK and force them to grow the drugs, which they then sell on to British gangs.

Companies like BAT are almost as bad though, and that's all 'legal' apparently. I used to work for a shop that sourced shoes from vietnam....What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    I was a regular user while at uni, but it was easy to break the cycle when we needed to. I didn't smoke for a month before final year exams to try and help my short term memory (didn't notice a huge difference but wasn't worth the risk for me). I worry that there could be potential long term mental health complications but haven't seen evidence from either side which convinces me.

ReputationRep:
    I can never balance the two following statements:

1) Smoking is bad for health and should be banned
    2) Cannabis has positive health effects and should be brought out from the black economy

ReputationRep:
    Don't we already have enough of a societal issue with alcohol and cigarettes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by to-be-continued)
    Don't we already have enough of a societal issue with alcohol and cigarettes?
    We'd have more if alcohol and cigarettes were illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Companies like BAT are almost as bad though, and that's all 'legal' apparently. I used to work for a shop that sourced shoes from vietnam....What do you mean?
    In Vietnam factory operations are run by MNCs, not the local Viets, though the conditions are probably equally as bad the pot farms of London.

ReputationRep:
    Legalise cannabis, ban smoking.

TSR logic in a nutshell.

ReputationRep:

Vietnamese? Of all the ethnic groups I'd associate with drug gangs, the last would be Vietnamese. Surely it would be Afghanistani or Latin American?

ReputationRep:
    i still don't get why people want to legalize weed instead of things like LSD/Mushrooms/DMT.

So much more fun.
    I am for the legalization of all non-addictive drugs.

ReputationRep:
    It is a drug
    we (referring to "we" as all countries of the world) should ban tobacco and alcohol, instead we're thinking of legalizing an harmful drug? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinetsr)
    Vietnamese? Of all the ethnic groups I'd associate with drug gangs, the last would be Vietnamese. Surely it would be Afghanistani or Latin American?
    no there was a pretty informative documentary done on weed by this eastenders actor. it's vietnamese.

Afghani is more on opium side of things, but that doesn't really get to britain in the form the afghanis farm it in, and latin american, well, coke, but again by the time it's in the users hands its about 10-30% purity if you're lucky.

ReputationRep:
    The Vietnamese are into gangs big time. Very prevalent in Australia and the USA. Not meek like other Orientals.

ReputationRep:
    The Vietnamese are into gangs big time. Very prevalent in Australia and the USA. Not meek like other Orientals.
    But we're not the USA or Australia. Most "Orientals" here tend to be middle class, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tini2)
    It is a drug
    we (referring to "we" as all countries of the world) should ban tobacco and alcohol, instead we're thinking of legalizing an harmful drug? :eek:
    Prohibition in America did not prevent people from consuming alcohol and tobacco, and only fuelled the black market and encouraged criminal activity.

ReputationRep:
    But we're not the USA or Australia. Most "Orientals" here tend to be middle class, no?
    slaves smuggled into the country.

ReputationRep:
    The Japanese and Chinese are very middle class in America, but not so much the Laotian, Cambodian and Vietnamese. Not sure about the UK, but I think it could be the same, - the former group migrated from more developed countries to the West for economic reasons, while the latter did so because of wars; their countries are also in general less developed than Japan and China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @*=-+1!<>6)
    Maybe but then what do you base your "particularly addictive" claim on?
    My own experience of a wide varienty of substances.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.