Turn on thread page Beta

What's wrong with parents these days? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i completely understand how you feel. I would think it was a non - african parent thing, but then i realized it wasn't , a few weeks back i told my mom i was going to study criminology, as an the last child i wouldnt expect my choice of career to cause that much of a bother for anyone, as it is the african culture to only really put pressure on the first child, but then my mom almost burst into tears, shouting about how i wanted to kill her, and why i didnt pick a regular course like medicine or engineering, and i'm just like...
    its almost as if the only career choices that matter are those within the core sciences, it is beyond frustrating.
    i mean who said photography couldnt be a major course, or even wanting to be in the army.
    the answer to your question my friend is that all our parents are suffering from a psychological disease that we ourselves are prone to be infected with when we are of age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Starting a degree in Maths and Computer Science or Data Science (Maths, Stats and CS) next year.

Re: Maths, I know 2 current Notts students who started the course without Maths at A-level. They've said that they get extra support from lecturers and some additional tutorials to go over the Maths required - from what I can glean, they put a lot of stock into helping you through the Maths.

I'd say read around the subject for both - I'd recommend watching some videos on the 'computerphile' YouTube channel which is run by Nottingham's CS department and khan academy videos about accounting/finance/CS - before making a decision, it's really down to what you can see yourself enjoying more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, yeah I will look into both further and watch those videos. What do you think about the following modules for CS below:
    1) DMU- http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/u...r-science.aspx

2) http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/cmpcmsub/

Just sooo hard lol, I know I would work harder for CS and it looks more interesting I just need to make sure I'm capable with the maths and logic side of things which is pretty basic in accounting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Thanks, yeah I will look into both further and watch those videos. What do you think about the following modules for CS below:
    1) DMU- http://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/courses/u...r-science.aspx

2) http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/course/cmpcmsub/

Just sooo hard lol, I know I would work harder for CS and it looks more interesting I just need to make sure I'm capable with the maths and logic side of things which is pretty basic in accounting.
    Lincoln's course looks really good. I see a lot of the fundamental Maths/Algorithm/Complexity stuff but also a nice vaiety of topics that directly relate to CS like: Human-Computer Interfaces, Image Processing, Business Analytics, Networks, Computer Architecture - all topics I would expect to see in a strong CS course. It seems varied but also teaches a strong fundamental base of knowledge.

DMU's by comparison, in my opinion, is a bit more lacking around the traditional CS topics and chooses to focus on more practical elements, It's just not my cup of tea tbh.

That's the fun bit though, having to work hard to reach solution is satisfying, because you feel a sense of achuevement when you finally 'get' it.

Good luck with the choice man - tell me which one you end up going for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lincoln's course looks really good. I see a lot of the fundamental Maths/Algorithm/Complexity stuff but also a nice vaiety of topics that directly relate to CS like: Human-Computer Interfaces, Image Processing, Business Analytics, Networks, Computer Architecture - all topics I would expect to see in a strong CS course. It seems varied but also teaches a strong fundamental base of knowledge.

DMU's by comparison, in my opinion, is a bit more lacking around the traditional CS topics and chooses to focus on more practical elements, It's just not my cup of tea tbh.

That's the fun bit though, having to work hard to reach solution is satisfying, because you feel a sense of achuevement when you finally 'get' it.

Good luck with the choice man - tell me which one you end up going for.
    Thanks will do, just need to confirm I'll be ok with the maths part and them i'm confident I'll go with computer science and will let you know which Uni I go for. Yeah both DMU and Lincoln are ranked as high mid table for CS but yeah Lincoln does look slightly better.

ReputationRep:
    When I was interested in doing computer science my parents had no issue with it but when I dropped the idea they were happier with my decision mainly because I was only interested in one aspect of it and that I was only interested in one career path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    When I was interested in doing computer science my parents had no issue with it but when I dropped the idea they were happier with my decision mainly because I was only interested in one aspect of it and that I was only interested in one career path.
    What were you mainly interested in?

ReputationRep:
    What were you mainly interested in?
    I wanted to go into games development though realised how much I would actually enjoy the course and how narrow my idea of the future would be. Now gone for civil engineering.

ReputationRep:
    So I finally concluded today that I'll be doing computer science and I got a look of disgust from my parents and my dad said something like 'Do a worthwhile degree.' Of course they didn't mean any harm as they don't understand it but it seems like a lot of older parents don't understand valuable degrees in current society if they're not the traditional Maths, English or sciences...
    Your thoughts and anyone else had any similar experiences?
    lol m9, your parents are relics. I say give it 5 years and then see how much you can get for them on antiques roadshow.

CS is one of best degrees to do these days

ReputationRep:
    I let my daughter choose her own degree no matter what and it's funny cause one of the lecturers said at an open day if you do a degree you like and are interested in you'll get there better than one that has been chosen for you... Parents please let the child decide...they need to learn their mistakes or prove you wrong... I'm happy with my daughters own choice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.